News:

I WILL KILL A MOTHERFUCKER.

Main Menu

Italy to ban plastic bags

Started by Adios, January 01, 2011, 05:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on January 06, 2011, 07:31:44 PM
Is there an overpopulation problem now? No. Will there be in the future? Maybe. But I think a lot of the ills we are worrying about are actually economic, agricultural, or industrial problems which are exacerbated by a high population.There is no shortage of food - we just have trouble getting it into everybody's mouths. If we could fix things like absurd wealth inequality we would have starvation beat too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrying_capacity

QuoteIt is possible for a species to exceed its carrying capacity temporarily. Population could then crash.

and

QuoteAgricultural capability on Earth expanded in the last quarter of the 20th century. But now there are many projections of a continuation of the decline in world agricultural capability (and hence carrying capacity) which began in the 1990s. Most conspicuously, China's food production is forecast to decline by 37% by the last half of the 21st century, placing a strain on the entire carrying capacity of the world, as China's population could expand to about 1.5 billion people by the year 2050.[11] This reduction in China's agricultural capability (as in other world regions) is largely due to the world water crisis and especially due to mining groundwater beyond sustainable yield, which has been happening in China since the mid-20th century.[12]

and

QuoteOne result shows that humanity's demand for 1999 exceeded the planet's biocapacity for 1999 by over 20 percent[13

So, yeah, there's an overpopulation problem.  The best estimate I've heard for the current sustainable population is 2 billion.  We are a hair from 7 billion now.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Adios

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on January 06, 2011, 07:37:34 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 06, 2011, 07:32:30 PM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on January 06, 2011, 07:29:52 PM
There has subsequently been a decrease in soil erosion caused by over-farming and an overall decline in the use of pesticides and fertilizers.

A decrease from what level?  How bad was it?

I mean, I know Kansas and Nebraska are both deserts now, but besides that.   :lulz:

But according to that link, your argument is that we're bad people because we're constantly improving our farming techniques, or bad because we aren't utterly perfect?

My arguement was that we are overfarming.  Not that we are bad people. Good for us for improving, unfortunately we improved with some very toxic pesticides and GM crops,  both of which are dangerous in ways that we don't even fully understand (especcially the GM crops)  the ideal solution would be lower intensity farming, but that is not possible while feeding a high population.

Anhydrous ammonia is one of the most widely used around here. Maybe you prefer to return to the days of DDT?

The Good Reverend Roger

My arguement was that we are overfarming. 

Which you haven't proven.  You've proven that 10 years ago we WERE overfarming slightly, but improving.

Not that we are bad people. Good for us for improving, unfortunately we improved with some very toxic pesticides and GM crops,  both of which are dangerous in ways that we don't even fully understand (especcially the GM crops)  the ideal solution would be lower intensity farming, but that is not possible while feeding a high population.

Oh, Christ.  How, specifically, are GM foods dangerous, and how do we know they're dangerous if we don't understand it?  Do you have death/illness figures from a credible source showing that GM food is killing or injuring people, or even damaging cropland?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Phox

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 06, 2011, 07:39:55 PM
There has subsequently been a decrease in soil erosion caused by over-farming and an overall decline in the use of pesticides and fertilizers.

I mean, I know Kansas and Nebraska are both deserts now, but besides that.   :lulz:

But according to that link, your argument is that we're bad people because we're constantly improving our farming techniques, or bad because we aren't utterly perfect?

My arguement was that we are overfarming.  Not that we are bad people. Good for us for improving, unfortunately we improved with some very toxic pesticides and GM crops,  both of which are dangerous in ways that we don't even fully understand (especcially the GM crops)  the ideal solution would be lower intensity farming, but that is not possible while feeding a high population.

Anhydrous ammonia is one of the most widely used around here. Maybe you prefer to return to the days of DDT?

I would, but only if it guarantees the extinction of bald eagles.

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 06, 2011, 07:41:01 PM
My arguement was that we are overfarming.

Which you haven't proven.  You've proven that 10 years ago we WERE overfarming slightly, but improving.

Not that we are bad people. Good for us for improving, unfortunately we improved with some very toxic pesticides and GM crops,  both of which are dangerous in ways that we don't even fully understand (especcially the GM crops)  the ideal solution would be lower intensity farming, but that is not possible while feeding a high population.

Oh, Christ.  How, specifically, are GM foods dangerous, and how do we know they're dangerous if we don't understand it?  Do you have death/illness figures from a credible source showing that GM food is killing or injuring people, or even damaging cropland?
Things like wheat growing shorter so less is lost prior to harvest? Or more pest resistant? Or more drought resistant? Or more mildew resistant. Those perverted bastards.

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Phox on January 06, 2011, 07:42:25 PM

BAD PHOXY!

Phox

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 06, 2011, 07:45:04 PM
Quote from: Doktor Phox on January 06, 2011, 07:42:25 PM

BAD PHOXY!
:aww:

LMNO

Adios

Phox

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on January 06, 2011, 07:46:35 PM
Can we haz spanking tiem now?
:fap:

ETA: THAT WAS FUCKING FUCKED.

Disco Pickle

completely relevant to population problem direction this thread has taken.

there's 8 videos in the set, that's part one and the rest are easily found on the side bar.  REALLY good lecture basically discussing how humanity's inability to truly grasp the concept of exponential growth is the real problem that will do us in.

the example he uses with the jar is just fucking great at explaining it for non math heads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-QA2rkpBSY&feature=BF&list=FLKNpJnoWqQVE&index=88
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Adios

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on January 06, 2011, 07:51:27 PM
completely relevant to population problem direction this thread has taken.

there's 8 videos in the set, that's part one and the rest are easily found on the side bar.  REALLY good lecture basically discussing how humanity's inability to truly grasp the concept of exponential growth is the real problem that will do us in.

the example he uses with the jar is just fucking great at explaining it for non math heads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-QA2rkpBSY&feature=BF&list=FLKNpJnoWqQVE&index=88

Over population is self correcting.

Adios

So, a noob came here and started reading about plastic bags. At post 461 their head exploded.

Phox

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 06, 2011, 07:55:48 PM
So, a noob came here and started reading about plastic bags. At post 461 their head exploded.

Actually, I would say if they made it that far with their head intact, then I doubt that particular post would cause a cerebral meltdown.  :lulz:

Cramulus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 06, 2011, 07:37:51 PM
So, yeah, there's an overpopulation problem.  The best estimate I've heard for the current sustainable population is 2 billion.  We are a hair from 7 billion now.

good points. I stand corrected.