News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

Western RPG system?

Started by Requia ☣, January 07, 2011, 10:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phox

Quote from: Richter on January 07, 2011, 09:28:13 PM
Paranoia is one of my favorites. :lulz:

Also, didn't mean to gank your list.  Didn't read back enough. :oops:

I meant "paranoia" as in the kind found when professional soldiers fight eldritch abominations, not the game.  :lulz:

And it's all good.  :)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Richter on January 07, 2011, 09:28:13 PM
Paranoia is one of my favorites. :lulz:

Also, didn't mean to gank your list.  Didn't read back enough. :oops:

PERMISSION TO REPAIR FLYBOT DENIED.  PLEASE REPORT YOUR LOCATION UPON IMPACT.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Telarus

I can recommend "Dogs in the Vineyard", which is an odd little narrative game about pseudo-Morom 'Gunslinger-Paladins' having to troubleshoot "the whole territory" for the main Church in Salt-Lake City.

Good supernatural elements, very very interesting dice system.

Here's a review: http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10742.phtml

And here's the game: http://www.lumpley.com/dogs.html

Another very interesting game that would make a killer western is "The Mountain Witch", a game about a group of ronin samurai climbing Mt. Fuji in order to take on the Sorcerer who lives on the peak.

The game mechanics focus around how much each character "trusts" each other (spending trust one each other seriously helps the dice odds), and allows each character to have a "Dark Fate"(random card draw) that they can pull out near the endgame to affect the plot. Characters also have to re-rate their "trust" in each other during chapter breaks, and can even spend 'trust' to betray/back-stab somebody. Even better, if your character dies, you still get to spend your 'trust' on the other players, explaining it as either psychological motivation from them remembering your character's fate, or even supernatural intervention from beyond the grave.

These tropes can easily be re-framed as "dust-caked bandits waiting on the 314 Line's Gold Shipment", or what have you.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Requia ☣

Dogs I've got to get for an in person gaming group later (this game is online).  Even if the game sucks the concept would be a hoot.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Requia ☣

Deadlands also has the nation of Deseret.  :lulz:

Is there some obsession in alternate history setting with Utah, or am I just getting lucky today?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.