News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

You're getting half your wish Roger.

Started by Requia ☣, January 09, 2011, 06:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

I almost forgot to tell you with all the other crap flying around.  NPR says Robert Gates has decided to slash the military budget, by cutting 47,000 personnel (he's apparently confident that we'll have won in Afghanistan by 2015 when this takes effect).  All carrier groups will stay in place, so you aren't getting that half, sorry.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

The Johnny

But, but... carriers are like floating cities man, totally, woaaaaaaaaaa

:hippie:
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Requia ☣

With nobody to operate or maintain them, I don't think they'll be floating much longer.  :lulz:

Cain

Saw this in the news as well.  Utterly useless.  Getting rid of excess troops does not even begin to scratch the surface of the problems of the US military budget.

Adios

Quote from: Cain on January 09, 2011, 03:34:47 PM
Saw this in the news as well.  Utterly useless.  Getting rid of excess troops does not even begin to scratch the surface of the problems of the US military budget.

No kidding, all that will do is add more unemployed to the ranks.

Cain

Adios

You know as well as I that Defense Contractors are and will continue to be, HANDS OFF.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

Our military is costing 4.6% of our GDP.

That is $649,520,000,000.

And that is terrible.

[/Lex Luthor]

We have 1,430,895 personnel in our army.  They're only cutting down by 3.3%.  And they're taking their sweet ass time about it.

This is not the radical move the press would have you believe.

Requia ☣

It's not really a budget cut at all.  We need those troops to do basic shit like transporting food and making sure there's clean water (we already don't have enough to that really).  As real troop numbers draw down, our reliance on substantially more expensive military contractors goes up.

Jasper

It would have been a lot simpler just to be like "okay, no war, but we're taking all this blood money anyway.  be happy". 

And I would.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on January 09, 2011, 06:55:12 AM
I almost forgot to tell you with all the other crap flying around.  NPR says Robert Gates has decided to slash the military budget, by cutting 47,000 personnel (he's apparently confident that we'll have won in Afghanistan by 2015 when this takes effect).  All carrier groups will stay in place, so you aren't getting that half, sorry.

47,000 is a drop in the bucket, and it isn't where the money is in the first place.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.