News:

Your political affiliations, your brand loyalties, and your opinions are all quicker, easier, and contain no user-serviceable parts.

Main Menu

Apocalypse: A Primer, part I of V

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 10, 2011, 04:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

<print spool>

I'm writing this while there's still gas for the generator.  I hope someone reads it, rather than using it to light a cooking fire, but I need to write it down anyway.

The end of the world wasnt what anyone expected.  No trumps and breaking of seals, no nuclear holocaust, no environmental crash...Nothing that complicated.  From what I gather, it was simply a chain reaction brought on by the escalating political divide in the United States and elsewhere.

A DoS attack took down a company's network, so an email wasn't received.  Because of the email being missed, a fax wasn't sent.  That caused a man to miss his flight.  When he realized he wasn't going to make his flight on time, he got in a fight with the Middle-Eastern cabbie.  The fight turned physical.  Several people stepped in, apparently for the chance to beat up a Iranian.  The local Iranians got into it, and before you knew it there was a full-fledged riot.

The news got ahold of it, and before you knew it, half of downtown New York was in flames.  Everyone overreacted, and pretty soon you had "militias" of right-wingers shooting it out with anyone that looked Middle Eastern.  The left reciprocated, and city after city began to join New York in flames.  

The stock market crashed.  European countries blamed either America or Middle Easterners, and they, too, spun out of control.  China collapsed within a month, due to having nobody to export to.  

Within 90 days, the transportation and distribution networks had collapsed, and cities began to starve.  The government tried martial law, but that only made things worse.

So here we are today.  I have more to say on the matter, but the generator is on fumes, so I guess I better print this.  Just so you know, though...There was no "apocalypse", just an avalanche of stupidity, started by one little pebble.

<end spool>
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Aucoq

Shit.  That's exactly how I see it all going down too. :mittens:
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Aucoq on January 10, 2011, 04:51:50 PM
Shit.  That's exactly how I see it all going down too. :mittens:

This is the Age of Dumb, as I said on this very board, back in 2003.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Adios

I was so looking forward to a nice nuclear winter.

Cramulus

I like Jon Stewart's angle on things right now---

that we are being DISTRACTED by a war between left and right

and that's not even the important conflict going on right now, which is between CORRUPTION and NON-CORRUPTION.

They'll be howling in the streets about the despicable people on the other side of the political divide that did this to us

The worst thing about this sort of apocalypse is that people will want things to go back to normal

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on January 10, 2011, 05:32:56 PM
The worst thing about this sort of apocalypse is that people will want things to go back to normal

That's actually the moment I am looking forward to, Cram.  The moment that they realize that the damage is done, and there's no normal to return to.

But that's because I'm a hateful cunt, and I'd rather see them punished, even if I get punished, too.

Whatever

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 10, 2011, 05:35:37 PM

That's actually the moment I am looking forward to, Cram.  The moment that they realize that the damage is done, and there's no normal to return to.
But that's because I'm a hateful cunt, and I'd rather see them punished, even if I get punished, too.

THIS!!

LOVE the OP!!!

:mittens:

Richter

They'll scream bitch and cry.  The "Not my fault"  faction will be the most annoying, pressing group of raiders, and tear apart anyone trying to recover or set up a sustainable existance just to feed themselves for another day. 

You remember the story of the Wendigo?  How it was considered better to kill yourself, or let yourself starve, than succumb to eating your own kind?  That's what will happen. 

After the unpleasentness I'll be trying to set up the Monastery you mentioned, Roger.  I have no illusions that I'll be breaking the heads of the entitled, lazy, and greedy for as long as I'm there.   
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Jenne

THIS.  At my most cynical, that's the thought pattern I turn to.

Epimetheus

POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Jasper

No.  Robots will probably be the first thing to go.  They are a lot of work to maintain.

OP:  WOW.  This is why when I say Hail Eris, it is a proclamation of dread.