News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

ATTN Eurospags

Started by Rumckle, January 11, 2011, 11:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rumckle

Next week I'm heading over to Europe for about a month, so do you have any suggestions of neat stuff I can see?

I'm going to be around the UK for about 11 days (London, Liverpool, Ireland and Glasgow), then spend the rest of my time around Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium (I have a rail pass that allows me to travel around those places).

Also, if any of you guys are free, I'd rather like to catch up with you guys.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Check out the TATE Modern in London, I havent been yet but thats what i would do in such a place.

Unfortuntely I cannot afford to come meet yuo in london, but have fun anyways.

Faust

Where abouts in Ireland will you be going? There's only a small part of it in the UK.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Rumckle

Quote from: Rainy Day Pixie on January 11, 2011, 11:49:37 AM
Check out the TATE Modern in London, I havent been yet but thats what i would do in such a place.

Unfortuntely I cannot afford to come meet yuo in london, but have fun anyways.

That's a shame, I don't think I have time to come down south either :(

Yeah, the TATE seems like it would be cool to see, I'll have to check it out.

Quote from: Faust on January 11, 2011, 11:57:31 AM
Where abouts in Ireland will you be going? There's only a small part of it in the UK.

Actually I'm going to the Republic (I get a bit confused with my geography) and I'm spending my time in Galway and Dublin.

Roaring Biscuit!

If you're passing through Durham at any point feel free to drop in, also, I will be in Edinburgh on the 22nd and 23rd of Jan

xx

edd

Faust

Quote from: Rumckle on January 11, 2011, 12:07:51 PM

Quote from: Faust on January 11, 2011, 11:57:31 AM

Actually I'm going to the Republic (I get a bit confused with my geography) and I'm spending my time in Galway and Dublin.

Cool, I probably wont be around, Its been ages since I've been to either. But if you're by cork give me a shout.

Triple Zero

Tell me when you'll be in the Netherlands, and I'll do my best to meet up with you.

Also, I'm sometimes in Germany (mostly near Cologne), so who knows (chances of that are slim though).

If you're going to Berlin, please check out my thread about when I went there for holiday, cause I can heartily recommend the Circus Hostel in Berlin Mitte, which is in Mitte (central district), is near *everything*, really cool (they just renovated last year) and also not very expensive.

Any idea where you're going in the Netherlands?

Also, depending on which big cities you're going to visit, the City Spy Map might come in useful (or not), it's a bunch of free downloadable PDFs with maps of large cities pointing out stuff that you would otherwise normally not find (strange bars, tips on services, and whatnot). I didn't think the one for Amsterdam was that useful, though (although I didn't check any of the places on the map).
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Reginald Ret

I can probably meet anywhere in or near Amsterdam, I just need to know a place and date :)

PS.  I tried to post this reply 5 times before but it bugged out on me, I blame holocaust deniers.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Rumckle

Quote from: Roaring Biscuit! on January 11, 2011, 02:11:29 PM
If you're passing through Durham at any point feel free to drop in, also, I will be in Edinburgh on the 22nd and 23rd of Jan

I don't think I'll be passing through Durham, unfortunately, and I won't be in Scotland till the 30th.

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 11, 2011, 11:18:46 PM
If you're going to Berlin, please check out my thread about when I went there for holiday, cause I can heartily recommend the Circus Hostel in Berlin Mitte, which is in Mitte (central district), is near *everything*, really cool (they just renovated last year) and also not very expensive.

Cool, I'll remember to check that out when I head to Berlin.

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 11, 2011, 11:18:46 PM
Any idea where you're going in the Netherlands?

I have a friend at uni in Utrecht, so I'm going to visit her, plus I might travel to the other cities, because they're all pretty close. Not certain of the dates yet, but sometime around mid Feb, so I'll let you guys know when I'm certain.

Also, those spy maps seem useful, thanks :)

Ari

If you, through some freak accident or pure whim, wind up in the north of Germany (like, Hamburg and beyond... best to go beyond actually) - there's free shelter and probably free food plus other crazyness available in Flensburg.
It looks though as if you will stay in "Dunkeldeutschland". Either way, consider it an option and or emergency plan.
パンクビッチ

Rumckle

Quote from: planeswalker on January 12, 2011, 12:43:59 AM
If you, through some freak accident or pure whim, wind up in the north of Germany (like, Hamburg and beyond... best to go beyond actually) - there's free shelter and probably free food plus other crazyness available in Flensburg.
It looks though as if you will stay in "Dunkeldeutschland". Either way, consider it an option and or emergency plan.

Cool, thanks!

I think I'll be mostly in the south, but I may have some free time and a rail pass, I really am rather unorganised.

Triple Zero

Utrecht, good choice! It's about just as pretty and awesome as Amsterdam, except it's not soaked in tourism as much. Plus, I actually know my way around there somewhat.

I had dinner there at http://www.pothuys.nl/ with Faust and his gf, it's a really cool restaurant not too pricey and good food, and you can sit outside at the level of the canals (a few meters below street level, the restaurant is entirely under the street/canal-bridge). Although I suppose the outside tables will be closed in February :)
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Nephew Twiddleton

Galway is really nice. If you have the time and the means and you like the countryside, head to Connemara. But if you don't, Galway City is one of my favorite places in Ireland. I haven't been over in about 3 years, miss it like hell.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Blight on January 12, 2011, 08:17:13 PM
Galway is really nice. If you have the time and the means and you like the countryside, head to Connemara. But if you don't, Galway City is one of my favorite places in Ireland. I haven't been over in about 3 years, miss it like hell.
Galway city is a lovely place to visit and safe to wander around at night.

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 12, 2011, 01:26:54 PM
I had dinner there at http://www.pothuys.nl/ with Faust and his gf, it's a really cool restaurant not too pricey and good food, and you can sit outside at the level of the canals (a few meters below street level, the restaurant is entirely under the street/canal-bridge). Although I suppose the outside tables will be closed in February :)
That was the highlight of our holiday, cant recommend it enough.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Faust on January 12, 2011, 10:09:34 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on January 12, 2011, 01:26:54 PM
That was the highlight of our holiday, cant recommend it enough.

:)

(still, if the outside-below-street-level-right-next-to-the-canal places that make it so special are closed, as they're bound to be in the winter months, it's kind of just another cellar/basement style restaurant, still good food, the bar's nice and they often have a band playing later in the evening as well)