Fuck you guys, Jared Loughner was right!

Started by Cain, January 11, 2011, 09:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

They really are trying to control the world through grammar!

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/01/darpa-wants-a-new-language-to-explain-everything/

QuoteDarpa has a well-earned rep for some of the most ambitious, over-the-top research programs of all time. But this might be the most over-the-toppest of all. The very first step? Create a unified mathematical language for everything the military sees or hears.

The armed forces are overwhelmed by all the data its various sensors are sniffing out. They want a singe data stream that combines drone video feeds, cell phone intercepts, and targeting radar. Darpa's solution, found in the brand-new Mathematics of Sensing, Exploitation, and Execution program is to design an algorithm that teaches the sensors how to interpret the world — how to think, how to learn and what data, accordingly to collect.

Sensors "process their signals as if they were seeing the world anew at every instant," Darpa laments in its call for algorithms. To put it in Philosophy 101 terms, existence is, to a sensor, what William James called a "blooming, buzzing confusion": an unmediated series of events to be vacuumed up, leaving an analyst overloaded with unsorted data. Wouldn't it be better if a sensor could be taught how to filter the world through a perceptual prism, anticipating what the analyst needs to know?

That's the specific military application of MSEE. But to get there, Darpa take a rather unconventional path. To get the "economy and efficiency that derives from an intrinsic, objective-driven unification of sensing and exploitation," it wants to create an "intrinsically integrated" algorithm for the machines to interpret reality. "All proposed research must describe a unifying mathematical formalism that incorporates stochasticity fundamentally," Darpa tells would-be designers.

In other words, one mathematical formula has to teach machines how to create order out of the chaos of the world around them, and to use that common ontology to develop a "learning capacity and expected rate-of-learning." Naturally, human interaction is to be limited: the sensors should "learn in unsupervised or semi-supervised fashion" instead.

"Specifically excluded is research that results primarily in evolutionary improvements to the existing state of practice," Darpa writes. You think? It even italicizes that passage in its bid. If you're going to teach an infrared sensor pod how to make sense of the shapes it observes, there's no half-stepping allowed.

So basically DARPA want a new language which will allow its killer robots to understand everything. 

I see no problems here.

The Good Reverend Roger

This is how Skynet starts.  Kill it with fire.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

the last yatto

Reminds me more of Portal

Eta
http://youtu.be/Fz2_NkyTv8E
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

The Johnny

Surely there wont be enough money for contractors now that the military budget has been cut  :fnord:
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Phox

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on January 11, 2011, 11:04:55 PM

Surely there wont be enough money for contractors now that the military budget has been cut  :fnord:

BWAHAHA. Killer robots that can communicate mass sensory data are more important than veterans' benefits.

Triple Zero

If they succeed, that is actually really frightening.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

East Coast Hustle

Haha! I know one of the people who is working on this. He's smarter than all of us put together and sees no inherent problem with making self-aware killer robots.

You guys are screwed.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Adios

Quote from: East Coast Hipster on January 12, 2011, 03:01:33 PM
Haha! I know one of the people who is working on this. He's smarter than all of us put together and sees no inherent problem with making self-aware killer robots.

You guys are screwed.

If that is the case then I have reason to doubt his intelligence.

Cain

LMNO

This just in:

The Military is switching to MIDI.

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Johnny

Quote from: Cain on January 12, 2011, 03:20:29 PM
Intelligence =/= morality

Lets make that a quick reminder that serial killers are generally smarter than average.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

East Coast Hustle

And SCIENTISTS who are down for ANY PROGRAM and know how to MAKE IT HAPPEN.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"