News:

PD.com: We have 73 Virgins!

Main Menu

Lebanon government falls.

Started by Adios, January 12, 2011, 04:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Lebanon's national unity government has collapsed after 11 ministers from Hezbollah and its allies resigned.

Energy Minister Gibran Bassil said the decision was prompted by a failure to settle a dispute over the UN tribunal investigating Rafik Hariri's murder.

The announcement came as Prime Minister Saad Hariri was meeting US President Barack Obama at the White House.

Tension has been high in Lebanon, amid indications that Hezbollah members could be indicted by the UN tribunal.

On Tuesday, officials said efforts by the Syrian and Saudi Arabian governments to reach a political compromise had failed.

There are widespread fears that a collapse of the government could spark an outbreak of sectarian violence, last seen in Beirut in 2008.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12170608

I wonder what effect this will have in the region.

Phox

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 12, 2011, 04:30:30 PM
Lebanon's national unity government has collapsed after 11 ministers from Hezbollah and its allies resigned.

Energy Minister Gibran Bassil said the decision was prompted by a failure to settle a dispute over the UN tribunal investigating Rafik Hariri's murder.

The announcement came as Prime Minister Saad Hariri was meeting US President Barack Obama at the White House.

Tension has been high in Lebanon, amid indications that Hezbollah members could be indicted by the UN tribunal.

On Tuesday, officials said efforts by the Syrian and Saudi Arabian governments to reach a political compromise had failed.

There are widespread fears that a collapse of the government could spark an outbreak of sectarian violence, last seen in Beirut in 2008.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12170608

I wonder what effect this will have in the region.

Well. Fuck.

Adios

Yeah, I remember that crap in Beirut.

Cain

The worst moments in Lebanon were when Syria and Israel were using it as their personal sandpit.  Half the militias from that time were either destroyed by the Israelis, the Syrians, Hezbollah or the Lebanese government, so if it does come to violence it wont be anywhere near what it has been historically.

Until it's two retard neighbours decide to invade and assert control, at least.

Adios

Quote from: Cain on January 12, 2011, 05:33:58 PM
The worst moments in Lebanon were when Syria and Israel were using it as their personal sandpit.  Half the militias from that time were either destroyed by the Israelis, the Syrians, Hezbollah or the Lebanese government, so if it does come to violence it wont be anywhere near what it has been historically.

Until it's two retard neighbours decide to invade and assert control, at least.

Can you see that happening? It doesn't seem that far fetched to me.

Cain

Dunno...Israel's last couple of wars aint worked out too well for them.  Syria wants to get in the US's good books, so I cant see them acting much.