News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

Facebook group

Started by Adios, January 12, 2011, 07:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Quote from: MisterDiskord on January 14, 2011, 03:13:32 PM

But I guess I don't get an opinion cause I'm new around here, so kill me.

As a n00b, you actually get your opinion, and a taco.  Please send your taco voucher to ECH.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Triple Zero

Quote from: MisterDiskord on January 14, 2011, 03:13:32 PM
Like, enjoy it if you want, troll it if you want, but if you're just gonna cry, STFU y'know?

There is no crying in Discordia.

Well, there is, but they'd better be tears of pure awesome distilled from concentrated mittens, OR ELSE.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 14, 2011, 03:02:17 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on January 14, 2011, 02:50:50 PM
nor do I think we should hold back from generating new types of Discordian Societies in order to protect this one.

:mittens:

I agree with this comment, especially the quoted bit.

Likewise.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

In the interests of fairness, I owe (1) Horror tm to both Cram and Roger for their new groups, and the resulting email cheesy buildup in my email inbox.  In the few mintues I give Facebook daily, these are good for a chuckle, but I see them more as augmenting and drawing a different sort of crowd into the fold. 

Those who by nature or mood want bite sized 4chan style blurbs, comment flame wars, and lack the attention span or coherence for longer posts will be happy there.  Prime meme - bomb breeding ground.  Free fire Pun zone.

Longer back and forth disucssions, writing, Intermittens assembly, etc, you can't replace this joint.  If anything I see it giving an outlet the silly one-off comments that are off and on bitched about.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Suu

The group moves too fast, it's driving me crazy and I can't keep up with it. I basically turned off all the notifications from it and check in to take a peek now and again.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Suu on January 14, 2011, 04:48:34 PM
The group moves too fast, it's driving me crazy and I can't keep up with it. I basically turned off all the notifications from it and check in to take a peek now and again.

That's pretty much how I treat Facebook in general.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

The biggest problem I see with it is that none of the people who aren't already on PD.com seem to be worth a good goddamn. And no, I'm not interested in taking them by the hand and showing them the way. I expect my noobs to be already charged with a full compliment of piss, vinegar, and lulz, and this group has so far done nothing but disappoint.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

As I was saying to Cram earlier, it often really does appear that PD.com is the Outlier among Outliers.

Cramulus

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on January 14, 2011, 04:58:20 PM
The biggest problem I see with it is that none of the people who aren't already on PD.com seem to be worth a good goddamn. And no, I'm not interested in taking them by the hand and showing them the way. I expect my noobs to be already charged with a full compliment of piss, vinegar, and lulz, and this group has so far done nothing but disappoint.

If you're disappointed, I wonder what you were expecting?

Even cool people, when dumped into a medium where everybody is gnashing and is only posting short pithy messages, sound like turds. This is not because those people are turds, it's because they're communicating over a stupid medium. I mean, it's not like the PD.com people in the facebook group are acting awesome either (with a few exceptions).

I'm trying to view it pragmatically:

I'm not let down that the group isn't instantly posting absurdist shakespeare. I'm actually pretty excited that 50+ self-identified Discordians who are NOT PD forumites are now exposed to stuff like the Et Cetera, the Apple Talk Dialogues, Intermittens, & Postergasm. It's a fresh audience.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Cuddlefish

I don't see what the issue is.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

I, for one, view them as camouflage.  They're all noise and no signal, and they make Discordianism look fucking ridiculous, like a pack of autistic kids playing house.

This is a GOOD thing for those of us who are up to no good, as it makes us look harmless.  It also produces a very large pool of scapegoats.

I will be leaving the group tonight, though, for two reasons.

1.  I can't get rid of the chat window, and

2.  Even with my settings changed, I'm getting a couple of hundred emails a day, linking me to silly shit.

I'll just stay here and write "absurdist Shakespeare". 

But for the love of "Bob", PLEASE don't invite them here.  I invited one guy, before I realized what an idiot he is.  Just leave them out on Facebook, where they accomplish their purpose.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Phox

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 14, 2011, 09:52:22 PM
I, for one, view them as camouflage.  They're all noise and no signal, and they make Discordianism look fucking ridiculous, like a pack of autistic kids playing house.

This is a GOOD thing for those of us who are up to no good, as it makes us look harmless.  It also produces a very large pool of scapegoats.

2.  Even with my settings changed, I'm getting a couple of hundred emails a day, linking me to silly shit.

But for the love of "Bob", PLEASE don't invite them here.  I invited one guy, before I realized what an idiot he is.  Just leave them out on Facebook, where they accomplish their purpose.

Two things.
1. If you just sign out of the chat altogether, it goes away.
2. I have no idea did you uncheck the box next to your email address in the group settings?

Not that I care if you stay with those fuckers or not, I have deemed them not even worth trolling.

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 14, 2011, 09:52:22 PM

The one you started seems okay, at least I am putting some stuff there.