News:

If you can't abuse it, it's not power.

Main Menu

The Dyatlov Pass Incident

Started by Cain, January 17, 2011, 04:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

There may be something invovled in the fact that the one group hadn't eaten in 6-8 hours.  From what I know about cold weather camping and hiking, you want to be eating high calorie food just about any time you can.  Keeps your energy and body temperature up. 

In the case of TGRR's avalanche idea though, they could have been asleep, woken up, and bolted when they heard the snow move.  So the lack of food might have jsut been a result of that, rather than a cause in itself.  An avalanche could also have slammed them off a tree or rock and deposited them elsewhere, with the injuries mentioned.

The radition, and missing tongues, I have no good ideas on.  Was there any mention of the other gear found around, if they had food remaining, etc? 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Nephew Twiddleton

The radiation can possibly be explained by the fact that this is the Soviet Union we're talking about. It's possible that the area had been previously contaminated and just wasn't known about by the Soviet government. Left overs from a bomb test a couple of hundred miles away that just got blown in that direction.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on January 19, 2011, 08:42:52 AM
This is very interesting. While the events seem as if they could be consistent with some kind of psychoactive poisoning, it seems odd that ergot wasn't mentioned as a possible cause, even with so many bodies autopsied.

Maybe they didn't bother to look at stomach contents.  This was during the Soviet era, right?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Adios

What is the altitude of this place?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Richter on January 19, 2011, 02:30:15 PM
There may be something invovled in the fact that the one group hadn't eaten in 6-8 hours.  From what I know about cold weather camping and hiking, you want to be eating high calorie food just about any time you can.  Keeps your energy and body temperature up. 

In the case of TGRR's avalanche idea though, they could have been asleep, woken up, and bolted when they heard the snow move.  So the lack of food might have jsut been a result of that, rather than a cause in itself.  An avalanche could also have slammed them off a tree or rock and deposited them elsewhere, with the injuries mentioned.

The radition, and missing tongues, I have no good ideas on.  Was there any mention of the other gear found around, if they had food remaining, etc? 

The radiation turned out to be a "fact" added later.  The tongue was probably eaten by crows or whatever other scavengers they have there.  The crushed bones could be weight from the avalanche, if it got a few of them, or from falling into a ravine if they had something like ergot poisoning.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 19, 2011, 03:55:05 PM
What is the altitude of this place?

Good question.  Anoxia tends to breed panic.

Adios

The Good Reverend Roger

1.  Too low for anoxia.

2.  Avalanche doesn't cut it, as footprints were still visible many days after the incident.  Even a near miss by an avalanche would disperse snow enough to fill footprints.

3.  Ergot poisoning wearing off 6-8 hours after their last meal has the right chronology, but ergot poisoning has some physical side effects which would be hard to miss (their underwear would be full of watery shit, for example).

4.  The pressure-inflicted broken bones were premortem and not fatal, and can only be explained by a huge weight of snow, etc.  The bodies with broken bones were, IIRC, found under 4 meters of snow.

The Good Reverend Roger

Richter

The whole scene reminds me of old Wendigo stories. 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 19, 2011, 03:53:57 PM
Quote from: Nigel on January 19, 2011, 08:42:52 AM
This is very interesting. While the events seem as if they could be consistent with some kind of psychoactive poisoning, it seems odd that ergot wasn't mentioned as a possible cause, even with so many bodies autopsied.

Maybe they didn't bother to look at stomach contents.  This was during the Soviet era, right?

They looked closely enough to note the time of their last meal, so it seems unlikely that they didn't analyze the stomach contents.

Maybe they took (or were dosed with) something that didn't leave a recognizable trace. Because it kinda sounds like what happened was they were all tripping balls together, and got spooked by something... maybe snow shifting, or maybe one of them thought it would be funny to go outside and pretend to be a bear. They collectively freaked the fuck out and scattered, and then proceeded to huddle naked and terrified in the snow. Some of them stumbled into a ravine, and triggered a small avalanche that fell in after them and crushed them. When the drug wore off, the survivors tried to trek back to the camp, but didn't make it.

An isolated group of skiiers might seem like a good group to try an experimental drug on, such as LSD. I mean, NOT THAT GOVERNMENTS EVER DO THAT KIND OF SHIT OR ANYTHING.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

While it wouldn't surprise me that the Soviet government would experiment on people, they had a large prison population plus some token political dissidents they let walk around (to prove how tolerant they were) for those kind of things.  The KGB's poison and chemical warfare division made extensive use of those two populations for such experiments.  While it cannot be entirely discounted, it would seem a rather long way to go to slip some people a dose, when they have entire camps of people with no rights or protection much closer to hand.

Nephew Twiddleton

I read an alternate explanation on skeptoid that it may have been due to rising CO levels, that one of the people in the tent figured out what was going on, ripped it apart to get some air, they all kinda panicked and tried to get further down the mountain in a moment of irrationality.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 19, 2011, 05:06:30 PM
While it wouldn't surprise me that the Soviet government would experiment on people, they had a large prison population plus some token political dissidents they let walk around (to prove how tolerant they were) for those kind of things.  The KGB's poison and chemical warfare division made extensive use of those two populations for such experiments.  While it cannot be entirely discounted, it would seem a rather long way to go to slip some people a dose, when they have entire camps of people with no rights or protection much closer to hand.

This is a good point.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."