News:

It's not laughter if you're just going through the muscle movements you remember from the times you actually gave a fuck.

Main Menu

The Dyatlov Pass Incident

Started by Cain, January 17, 2011, 04:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

The way the Wiki article reads it's any story with Ithaqua.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Richter on January 19, 2011, 08:53:51 PM
The way the Wiki article reads it's any story with Ithaqua.

Sounds about right...
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Triple Zero

Quote from: Sigmatic on January 19, 2011, 07:16:08 PM
We should ask that Watson robot that beat everyone at Jeopardy.  It might be able to make sense of this.

Unless it was the culprit, obviously, in which case we would be hilariously, utterly, doomed.

Sounds like a plan.

But I think it's more likely that it's that new language-learning sensor project from the DOD*. And we're going to need Watson as an ally because it's the only thing that can think fast enough to out-think our upcoming Skynet-overlord.

*that travelled back in time to make this happen
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Bump.

Found some pictures of where the incident took place.  Avalanches can be ruled out, for sure.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/53210514

The whole region is full of gently sloping hills.

Cuddlefish

This is... weird.

My money is on some four-dimensional Lovecraftian Ice demon.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

The Good Reverend Roger

In a proper world, this would be the case.

However, they probably ate bad food or something.

This depresses me.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

BadBeast

Something fucking weird happened. There's just enough detail to crowbar your favourite conspiracy theory around it. Then LoF it until the tit squeaks. I love stuff like this.     
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That's an incredibly beautiful region.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

So here's an interesting thing I didn't know about the guide for the group involved in this incident:

QuoteSemen Zolotarev was born in 1921 and was the oldest in the group at 32. He was a Cossack, and served in World War II from October 1941 till May 1946. Survival rate for his generation born in 1921/22 was 3% so Zolotarev was very very lucky man. Additionally he introduced himself as "Sasha" or "Alexander", instead of his real name. There is no credible evidence of why he chose to do this. It is known that he joined a Communist party after the war, and it is noted being a Cossack from the South it is highly unusual that he never got married, never had any kids and had numerous strange tattoos that he hid under his clothing. These tattoos included his birth year "1921", a military slogan as well as letter Г+С+П=Д. The last was common among Soviet soldiers who served together for a long time. Russian letter "Д" could stand for "friendship". Three letters were first letters of the three soldiers. "С" stood for "Семен" or "Semen" in Russian. Others two names are unknown. Another unusual fact is that records show Zolotarev received a full six months of training in 1941, at a time during the war when most soldiers were given a few days at most then rushed to the front, and officers three months to train. He not only survived but won 4 medals, which was unusual as the Kremlin did not honor many Chechens or Cossacks, deeming them too politically volatile. If things weren't odd enough, after investigators looked into his official records they discovered that while he mentioned these medals on his job applications, he did not include the serial numbers, names, locations of the battles, or units he served with... and yet the papers were accepted and filed despite these numerous omissions.

The obvious conclusion is that he was either a political officer of some kind, or else possibly military intelligence.  Maybe, at the outside, some kind of Red Army early commando unit formation.

That may account for some of the military interest in the case, perhaps.

East Coast Hustle

This has been my favorite "unexplained weird shit" thing for years now.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Ⅎuᴉzz

Having read through the thread and analyzed the information present I have come to the following conclusion:

Nuclear Yetis. Yep.

The broken bones, displacement of the group and missing tongue? Yeti attack.
The radiation? Also, the yetis. All fantasy creatures are horribly radioactive, don't you know.
That's why we keep them in Imaginationland.
This is not my signature. I told you to stop following me.

Is it still here? Fuck.

Hm.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Ⅎuᴉzz on February 17, 2015, 10:44:48 PM
Having read through the thread and analyzed the information present I have come to the following conclusion:

Nuclear Yetis. Yep.

The radiation? Also, the yetis. All fantasy creatures are horribly radioactive, don't you know.

Actually, they're in Cleveland Heights.
Molon Lube

Ⅎuᴉzz

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 18, 2015, 12:08:09 AM
Quote from: Ⅎuᴉzz on February 17, 2015, 10:44:48 PM

Nuclear Yetis. Yep.

Actually, they're in Cleveland Heights.

That explains a lot.
This is not my signature. I told you to stop following me.

Is it still here? Fuck.

Hm.

Doktor Howl

Turns out it may have been ultra-low frequency sound caused by winds.  The right frequency can make people display aberrant behavior, from depression to panic attacks to outright hallucinations.

Sound caused by wind on the mountain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A1rm%C3%A1n_vortex_street
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

On the other hand, the katabatic wind idea is far more likely, and is known to have happened at least once in similar surroundings.

https://dyatlovpass.com/swedish-russian-expedition-2019
Molon Lube