News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

The Dyatlov Pass Incident

Started by Cain, January 17, 2011, 04:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Blight on January 19, 2011, 05:11:17 PM
I read an alternate explanation on skeptoid that it may have been due to rising CO levels, that one of the people in the tent figured out what was going on, ripped it apart to get some air, they all kinda panicked and tried to get further down the mountain in a moment of irrationality.

That seems like a massive stretch considering the normal effects of CO poisoning are sleepiness, disorientation, and numbness. That's why so many people with faulty heaters just go to sleep and never wake up.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on January 19, 2011, 05:51:46 PM
I read an alternate explanation on skeptoid that it may have been due to rising CO levels, that one of the people in the tent figured out what was going on, ripped it apart to get some air, they all kinda panicked and tried to get further down the mountain in a moment of irrationality.

That seems like a massive stretch considering the normal effects of CO poisoning are sleepiness, disorientation, and numbness. That's why so many people with faulty heaters just go to sleep and never wake up.

Unless someone notices what's happening. I've heard news reports of people with CO poisoning smashing windows before they pass out.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

BadBeast

It may have been an early L.S.D test, by the Russkies.
On unwitting subjects.
Ergotism wasn't exactly unheard of at the time, and I think if it had been present, then the autopsies would have picked up on it. But whatever the exact cause, I'd bet one of my knackers on it being something to do with them all being Royally fucked up on some kind of Drug that none of them were accustomed to.
And it's not like the Russian Govt had any more scruples than the US Govt when it came to testing Drugs on unwitting citizens, just to see how fucked up it got them.  
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Blight on January 19, 2011, 05:58:11 PM

Unless someone notices what's happening. I've heard news reports of people with CO poisoning smashing windows before they pass out.

Right. Before they pass out. Not before they mass panic and go some distance from their tent and build a fire under a large pine tree.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on January 19, 2011, 06:25:16 PM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on January 19, 2011, 05:58:11 PM

Right. Before they pass out. Not before they mass panic and go some distance from their tent and build a fire under a large pine tree.

Hmm. Fair enough.

The Good Reverend Roger

Nothing actually fits.  This may just be one of those WTF things.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 19, 2011, 07:06:55 PM

It's the crushing and missing parts that really muddy the water.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 19, 2011, 07:08:38 PM

Nope.  4 meters of wet snow is enough to crush someone, and scavengers eat the soft bits first.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Nephew Twiddleton

I'm glad I finally know what the incident was called though. I heard about it word of mouth a couple of years ago, but with less detail.

Nothing actually fits.  This may just be one of those WTF things.

I saw one suggestion in further reading that the woman bit her tongue off, which is unlikely considering they seem to have examined stomach contacts. Animals don't make sense to me because that victim was one of the ones buried in the snow.

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 19, 2011, 07:10:15 PM

Nope.  4 meters of wet snow is enough to crush someone, and scavengers eat the soft bits first.

I thought footprints were still visible.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 19, 2011, 07:11:19 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 19, 2011, 07:10:15 PM

I thought footprints were still visible.

They weren't near the other ones though. I think the footprints were the ones who made the campfire.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on January 19, 2011, 07:10:48 PM
I'm glad I finally know what the incident was called though. I heard about it word of mouth a couple of years ago, but with less detail.

Nothing actually fits.  This may just be one of those WTF things.

I saw one suggestion in further reading that the woman bit her tongue off, which is unlikely considering they seem to have examined stomach contacts. Animals don't make sense to me because that victim was one of the ones buried in the snow.

Ice weasels.

Jasper

We should ask that Watson robot that beat everyone at Jeopardy.  It might be able to make sense of this.

Unless it was the culprit, obviously, in which case we would be hilariously, utterly, doomed.

Richter

So either the aliens got them or we've got incompelte / inacurrate info.  My money's on the info being off.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

My money is on them actually having been a group of Illuminati agents that got offed by some eldritch horror.

"The Dyatlov Pass Incident" sounds like the title to a Lovecraft story to me....
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson