News:

PD.com: "I'M MADDER THAN FISH GREASE!"

Main Menu

Mammoths? Possibly.

Started by Adios, January 18, 2011, 05:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Japanese researchers will launch a project this year to resurrect the long-extinct mammoth by using cloning technology to bring the ancient pachyderm back to life in around five years time.

The researchers will try to revive the species by obtaining tissue this summer from the carcass of a mammoth preserved in a Russian research laboratory, the Yomiuri Shimbun reported.

"Preparations to realise this goal have been made," Akira Iritani, leader of the team and a professor emeritus of Kyoto University, told the mass-circulation daily.

Under the plan, the nuclei of mammoth cells will be inserted into an elephant's egg cell from which the nuclei have been removed, to create an embryo containing mammoth genes, the report said.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110117/wl_asia_afp/japansciencemammoth_20110117104445

What could possibly go wrong?

Whatever

When they move on to dinosaurs I want credit for calling the Godzilla attack.....

I don't understand why people want to fuck with things that couldn't survive the first time.  It's not like they will be able to talk and tell them what happened the first time.

If they can clone shit like this, why are they not cloning the cells that fight cancer? 

I don't know, I really don't care what they do, but no good will come of this, I'm sure.

AFK

Jurassic Park:  The Furry Edition
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Adios

Whatever

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 18, 2011, 05:27:38 PM
Godzilla vs. Wooly Mammoth.

They could sell blimp tickets and float slowly over them as they consume Japan.  Watch all the little people run away screaming.....

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My only question is; are mammoth delicious, and would they be an efficient food animal to raise?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Adios

Quote from: Nigel on January 18, 2011, 10:03:46 PM
My only question is; are mammoth delicious, and would they be an efficient food animal to raise?

I'm not gonna herd the fukin things.  :eek:

Epimetheus

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 18, 2011, 10:07:17 PM

I will so gladly take that job. Risky, yes. Epic as fuck, YES.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Epimetheus on January 18, 2011, 10:08:39 PM

Seriously. Imagine that conversation:

"So, what do you do?"

<spits on floor> "Mammoth driver"

" :eek:"
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Adios

Quote from: Nigel on January 18, 2011, 10:14:07 PM

I'm not gonna herd the fukin things.  :eek:

:lulz:

"So, what do you do?"

And I'm sure as hell not cleaning up after them.  :horrormirth:

Whatever

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 18, 2011, 10:17:33 PM
Quote from: Nigel on January 18, 2011, 10:14:07 PM

I'm not gonna herd the fukin things.  :eek:

:lulz:

And I'm sure as hell not cleaning up after them.  :horrormirth:

"So, what do you do?"

You kow at some point some one is going to come back with "It's really that big?"  :lulz:

Adios

Git a good grip on mah feet, gotta artificially inseminate this one.

Cainad (dec.)

I'm leaning on the side of "probably not" mainly because elephants seem to be neither especially tasty nor efficient AFAIK. I know people eat them, but in places where they are raised and trained they tend to be used as beasts of burden rather than as food.

But what the fuck do I know, maybe mammoths died out originally because they were way too damn tasty to live, and the Neanderthals saw our skinny Homo Sapien asses and were all like, "Fuck that, we may be about to die out but these assholes ain't gonna get our mammoth meat!"

And then it was the biggest barbecue of all time.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't even care, I just want to be a MAMMOTH COWBOY.

Adios

Quote from: Nigel on January 18, 2011, 10:59:08 PM
I don't even care, I just want to be a MAMMOTH COWBOY.

I'm a long tall Texan....... :lulz: