News:

One day, I shall make the news feed. Then they'll see. Then they'll all see! Mwahahahaha!!!!

Main Menu

TRIP'S USA TRIP

Started by Triple Zero, January 18, 2011, 08:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

*slaps forehead* duh okay, I was confused for a moment and thought Suu and Richter also lived in Boston, but that's Providence. Who else lives in Boston then? LMNO and ... :?

Everybody thanks for all the advice so far! :D

After some more thinking, we're pretty sure we'll be heading to the NYC/Boston/Providence area. Only if we can find a very good deal on a flight, we might be able to go elsewhere (we're going to look into that, but don't hold your breath, sorry West Coasters :( ).

One of the foremost things we need to plan is the date. Because my girlfriend needs to request the weeks off from her work, and for a better chance of actually getting those weeks, she needs to file the request as soon as possible.

So, what's the weather like in Boston/Providence/NYC during the end of May, beginning of June? :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

the last yatto

If you come to the west coast
ill give you one of my ATR vinyls (small one has kids are united and midi junkies)

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Suu

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 18, 2011, 11:53:14 PM

So, what's the weather like in Boston/Providence/NYC during the end of May, beginning of June? :)

It could be anything.

Expect anywhere between 50-80F (10C-26C), it could be sunny, it could be raining. It could be windy. A cold front could come through and make it colder, we could also have a heat wave and make it really hot.

New York City is a convention oven and a wind tunnel AT THE SAME TIME. Whatever temperature it is, assume it could be 10-20 degrees hotter/colder in different parts of the city.

Providence in June is nice, you'll be catching it before we get too swampy, and Boston will be about 10 degrees colder. Roger caught a cold front. before he came, it was hot and nasty, the entire time he was here, he got to see the quintessential New England bullshit of spitting rain for days on end.

We may be able to go to the beach, we may not...but you should see the Atlantic Ocean from the other side, regardless. ;)

Your best bet would be to try to get a flight into JFK (New York) and working out an itinerary from there. Providence and NYC are exactly 150 miles apart, and Boston and Providence are exactly 50 miles apart on the highway. There's a great bus and train system that connects all of them. It's the highest traveled corridor in the nation, and also one of the busiest in the world.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Nephew Twiddleton

I also live in Boston, as does Pope Tom and I think a couple of others.

I could be mistaken, but isn't the next Providence/Boston meet up going to be around the time that Trip comes over?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Suu

Quote from: Doktor Blight on January 19, 2011, 01:02:48 AM

I could be mistaken, but isn't the next Providence/Boston meet up going to be around the time that Trip comes over?

SO THIS IS WHAT IT'S LIKE WHEN WORLD'S COLLIDE!!!!

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If it weren't so close to the April 1 meetup in Tucson I'd consider flying back east for your visit, because I could make it a two-fer and visit my mom and sister while I was at it. I'm making the Tucson trip my highest priority, though.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eve

DCup and I live in Boston, too!
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Eve on January 19, 2011, 01:59:25 AM

DCup and I live in Boston, too!

I knew I was forgetting someone. For some reason though I thought DCup lived in New York.

AFK

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 18, 2011, 11:53:14 PM
*slaps forehead* duh okay, I was confused for a moment and thought Suu and Richter also lived in Boston, but that's Providence. Who else lives in Boston then? LMNO and ... :?

Everybody thanks for all the advice so far! :D

After some more thinking, we're pretty sure we'll be heading to the NYC/Boston/Providence area. Only if we can find a very good deal on a flight, we might be able to go elsewhere (we're going to look into that, but don't hold your breath, sorry West Coasters :( ).

One of the foremost things we need to plan is the date. Because my girlfriend needs to request the weeks off from her work, and for a better chance of actually getting those weeks, she needs to file the request as soon as possible.

Well, I'm only a couple hours drive from Boston, but between kids, work, and generally being a bum, I probably wouldn't make it down.  But I'll be there in spirits, or something. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Nephew Twiddleton

Actually Trip, Maine's a nice place too, and you could easily hit it up for a couple of days if you wanted to see some woods and possibly moose.

Also, avoid moose. In car vs. moose, moose always wins.

Jasper

Aw, I was so excited. 

Yanno, if you drove in shifts nonstop, you could get here in two days.

:lol:  That would kill me though, so I can't suggest it in seriousness.

Suu

Quote from: Doktor Blight on January 19, 2011, 02:25:18 AM
Actually Trip, Maine's a nice place too, and you could easily hit it up for a couple of days if you wanted to see some woods and possibly moose.

Boston could always get a moose in the subway tunnels again.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Suu on January 19, 2011, 03:39:44 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on January 19, 2011, 02:25:18 AM

Boston could always get a moose in the subway tunnels again.

I think Orange Line wins in that scenario. But it slows down the commute.  :)

Suu

Also, I should warn you.

The US and Canada is not like the EU (at least not anymore). If you attempt to cross the border in a rental car with a passport that is NOT of the US or Canada, get ready for some bullshit, at least from the US side. I had looked into it before and they aren't cool with the idea of a rental crossing national borders (some companies don't even let you cross state lines.) I'm sure it's possible, but I don't want to cost your trip delays, so that's something to really look into.

I'm pretty miffed I need to get a passport just to go to Montreal.  :argh!:

Sir Squid Diddimus

Rent a wreck?? Oh god no!! it's literally just what it sounds like. if you need a car you're better off going with Budget or Enterprise.

As far as Florida goes, there isn't much here except for the theme parks, so if you're not really interested in going to those, I wouldn't waste your time coming all the way down here.
It's a 2 1/2 hour flight from NYC (or like a 26 hour drive or some shit) to here and impossible to get around without a rental car. Everything is very spread out. Tourists often think they can go to disney for a bit, pop down to miami and then make it back in time for dinner. Except miami is a 6 hour drive. Oops.
In May/June this place turns into a human melting swamp foot armpit funk machine. It's awful.

However, if you're really into po-dunky redneck hickerbilly swamp crawls, then this is the place for you.

BUT, I love NY in May/June (or any time) so I totally would try to figure out a way to make it up there.