News:

It is our goal to harrass and harangue you ever further toward our own incoherent brand of horse-laugh radicalism.

Main Menu

Homo Altruis

Started by Jasper, January 23, 2011, 08:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1xninS1GHZNRYCrfw7wJnoN4CQBS4Dm1mLMdAwx34dRE

Original science fiction.   In its current incarnation it's just a plot, actual scenes are not yet written.  Still, this is the longest story I've ever written, and my friends seem to like it.

Jasper

Don Coyote

Phox

Don't have time to thoroughly read right now, but skimmed it a bit. DON'T. USE. PRESENT. TENSE. IN. A. NARRATIVE.

Eh, that's a bit harsh. But seriously, narratives generally flow better when using past tense. And there are certain times when using a present tense instead of past tense is appropriate. But those situations are relatively rare, so it's best to avoid it.

Pæs

Quote from: Doktor Phox on January 24, 2011, 07:49:51 AM
Don't have time to thoroughly read right now, but skimmed it a bit. DON'T. USE. PRESENT. TENSE. IN. A. NARRATIVE.

Eh, that's a bit harsh. But seriously, narratives generally flow better when using past tense. And there are certain times when using a present tense instead of past tense is appropriate. But those situations are relatively rare, so it's best to avoid it.
I expect the tense will be changed once it's more than an outline of the plot.
If it wasn't going to, though, definitely what Phox said.

I have a tab open with it, intending to read, but busy things keep distracting me.

Jasper

I know my style leaves much to be desired, but this is just a preliminary exercise to plan the story out so I don't get bogged down and quit.  This is by no means finished product. 

Jasper

Some of that writing, upon revision, is admittedly some ugly shit.  I think I just had to show it to a more critical audience to actually notice.

Bug report:001

The writing is not good

Adios

Stick with it. Let the story write itself. I liked it.

Jasper

Thanks!  That's highly encouraging, coming from you. :D

Phox

Quote from: Sigmatic on January 24, 2011, 04:00:50 PM
I know my style leaves much to be desired, but this is just a preliminary exercise to plan the story out so I don't get bogged down and quit.  This is by no means finished product. 
Yeah, what I have been able to read so far is very interesting. Definitely looking forward to getting a chance to finish it. and kinda wondering what you are going to do to flesh it out.

Jasper

Write actual scenes and dialogue, namely.  This is just a plot overview.

Phox

Quote from: Sigmatic on January 24, 2011, 07:24:46 PM
Write actual scenes and dialogue, namely.  This is just a plot overview.
I meant in terms of how the dialogue and scenes play out, not the literal process.  :lol:

Jasper

OH.

Yeah.  :lol:

Well, that's what I suck the most at, so it should be fun.

I am thinking about finding a bunch of writers I like, and mimicking their techniques.  Any suggestions for who I should look to for great form?  I'm not planning on copying actual text, just the form and flow of dialogue (since I have little idea how to do it in the first place.)

Phox

Quote from: Sigmatic on January 24, 2011, 08:08:32 PM
OH.

Yeah.  :lol:

Well, that's what I suck the most at, so it should be fun.

I am thinking about finding a bunch of writers I like, and mimicking their techniques.  Any suggestions for who I should look to for great form?  I'm not planning on copying actual text, just the form and flow of dialogue (since I have little idea how to do it in the first place.)

Hmmm. For dialogue, no one beats Twain.

Jasper

Of course!  I actually have a complete works lying around somewhere!  Excellent! :D