Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

Does advertising erode free will?

Started by Cramulus, November 23, 2010, 08:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Quote from: Subetai on November 26, 2010, 08:42:13 AM
Here is how I go about it:

- I don't watch TV, listen to the radio and have adblock on my laptop.  Minimizes the input in the first place. 
- If I want to watch a TV program (that I already know I like), I download it online or (if I don't already watch it) rely on my own curiousity or recommendations from friends + a background reading on the premise for the series, though I am fully aware that many websites, especially ones that anyone can edit, will likely have PR people writing entries for their product, and then download it.  Bandwidth is cheap, after all.
- Again with music, I browse at random and download tracks and, to an extent, rely on recommendations from friends.
- I maintain an awareness that peer pressure and viral advertising are also methods used, and try not to place too much stock in friend recommendations on their own.  I must actually like the product.
- If I'm somewhere I cannot avoid advertising, I practice a mental exercise, imagining how this advert was developed, looking for the methods of association with status or certain high value identities the products purport to give a person.  Mentally deconstructing the advert does a lot to lessen the effect.
- I keep in mind that, realistically, I don't honestly need that much.  My brush with poverty has reinforced this belief, to the point that I automatically look for cheaper and more robust alternatives whenever possible, and am willing to cut my losses and go without if this is not to my liking.
- When buying expensive goods, I will try and find customer review websites where checks are in place to make sure the customer has bought the item before they can review it (otherwise, like websites anyone can edit, they are open to abuse by PR writers) and base my choice on the reviews available.

:mittens:

Quote from: BDS on November 26, 2010, 11:39:03 AM
I deal with advertising by not having any money. However effective as an advert is, I still can't act upon it.

:lulz:

Bu🤠ns

I have talked before about re-branding for self-awareness. 

Sometimes when I'm hangin out or whatever, talking about random shit and my wife expresses her particular appreciation for something, she'll mention, "I'm loving it" which, quite obviously, comes from the McDonalds campaign.  She knows she's doing it but doesn't really give a fuck :lulz: .

What was interesting to me is the idea of taking these established symbols (logos), slogans, jingles, etc and attach to them an alternate meaning in addition to what they're currently used. 

So say I'm trying to change a particular pattern of behavior.  One thing I've been working on is becoming more mindful.  So what I might do is take some of the more popular symbols like the McDonalds logo, Wal-Mart (and so on) and use them as a reminder of my goal of being more mindful. 

It's like subverting the subversion. 

I figure it's like acknowledging the mainstream as the primary point of reference, turning it into a tool and using it for my own work on myself. 

It seems to me only a matter of picking out the fnords, taking a moment to re-conceptualize the symbols and applying them in various ways.

Even consider using them as a memory loci system.  Pick out say 10 different companies and overlay each of their unique symbols in separate room in a familiar house.  Then attach various additional memories, PERSONAL symbols, reminders, whatever to each room as well. 

The ads come in randomly...some more frequently than others so that's something else to consider when picking out companies. KNOW YOUR DEMOGRAPHIC.

Just an idea

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: geekdad on November 24, 2010, 06:09:03 AM
Quote from: Sir Coyote on November 24, 2010, 05:19:28 AM
And we accept your choice to freely not believe in it. :lulz:

Genetics, upbringing, relationships with friends, chance happenings with, interactions with others, current mood, and even little things like what you ate today and the amount of EMF you are experiencing this second all contributed in you hating me.

Maybe if you're a robot.  I'm a person. 

And people are more than just a collection of memes.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 07, 2011, 05:35:42 PM

Genetics, upbringing, relationships with friends, chance happenings with, interactions with others, current mood, and even little things like what you ate today and the amount of EMF you are experiencing this second all contributed in you hating me.

Yep.

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 07, 2011, 05:35:42 PM

Wasn't geekdad that guy I hated simply because he was a LARPer?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Canis latrans eques on February 07, 2011, 08:25:58 PM

Arguably, he had no choice.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 07, 2011, 08:30:30 PM
Quote from: Canis latrans eques on February 07, 2011, 08:25:58 PM

Arguably, he had no choice.   :lulz:
The memes made him become a LARPer.