News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

Afghan infants fed pure opium

Started by Adios, January 24, 2011, 04:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

In a far flung corner of northern Afghanistan, Aziza reaches into the dark wooden cupboard, rummages around, and pulls out a small lump of something wrapped in plastic.

She unwraps it, breaking off a small chunk as if it were chocolate, and feeds it to four-year-old son, Omaidullah. It's his breakfast -- a lump of pure opium.

"If I don't give him opium he doesn't sleep," she says. "And he doesn't let me work."

Aziza comes from a poor family of carpet weavers in Balkh province. She has no education, no idea of the health risks involved or that opium is addictive.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/01/20/afghan.opium.kids/index.html?hpt=C1

Sweet merciful fuck.

Jenne

I'm not surprised--it's not like Afghanistan has a bastion of "Back to Sleep" and "SIDS" parent education classes out there.  And though drug use is prohibited unless for medication in Islam, that doesn't keep family traditions from playing out, either.

But then, my own grandfather put beer in our baby bottles to make us go to sleep faster, longer and better when he watched us.

The Good Reverend Roger

We do the same thing, only we typically don't use chemicals, we use colorful, happy cartoons.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Have you ever watched a "Baby Einstein" DVD without any kids around?

Holy shit.  Your mind simply dissolves.

Adios

It occurs to me after reading Rogers most recent rant, combined with the comments that one drug is as addictive as the other.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 24, 2011, 05:00:08 PM
It occurs to me after reading Rogers most recent rant, combined with the comments that one drug is as addictive as the other.

Someone read that?   :lulz:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 24, 2011, 05:00:45 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on January 24, 2011, 05:00:08 PM

Someone read that?   :lulz:

I am working on a reply.

Suu

Those poor people out there. They just don't understand.

It's also frightening to think that it's cheaper than feeding your family too.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Jenne

Yeah, my husband's grandmother totally gave her kids opium when they had teething issues or whathaveyou.  Again, I liken it to the way whiskey etc. is used for "home remedies"...something that's probably on the wane in a lot of American culture today, but hasn't been left behind 100%.

Sad thing is, how to raise a nation full of intelligent people eager to learn if they're drugged since they're babies?  :(  THAT'S the real scary part.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenne on January 24, 2011, 05:13:04 PM
Yeah, my husband's grandmother totally gave her kids opium when they had teething issues or whathaveyou.  Again, I liken it to the way whiskey etc. is used for "home remedies"...something that's probably on the wane in a lot of American culture today, but hasn't been left behind 100%.

Sad thing is, how to raise a nation full of intelligent people eager to learn if they're drugged since they're babies?  :(  THAT'S the real scary part.

Opium or Ritalin?  Either one's okay, because I'm up for any program!

LMNO

If it's any consolation, it looks like the so-called "Crack Babies" turned out ok...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/health/27iht-coca.1.19712373.html

QuoteWhen the use of crack cocaine became a nationwide epidemic in the United States the 1980s and '90s, there were widespread fears that prenatal exposure to the drug would produce a generation of severely damaged children. Newspapers carried headlines like "Cocaine: A Vicious Assault on a Child," "Crack's Toll Among Babies: A Joyless View" and "Studies: Future Bleak for Crack Babies."

But now researchers are systematically following children who were exposed to cocaine before birth, and their findings suggest that the encouraging stories of Yvette H.'s daughters are anything but unusual.

So far, these scientists say, the long-term effects of such exposure on children's brain development and behavior appear relatively small.

Jasper

Cold comfort.  There are plenty of more ubiquitous addictions that will fuck a kid up.  Television and Ritalin come to mind.

Let's not forget that a lot of higher-end pharmaceuticals marketed today are....what? OH YEAH! OPIATES!

Face it, if you've ever taken a Vicodin to relieve pain, or oxycodone has been prescribed for you after an operation, or taken codeine for strep throat....

you've used opium.

But.....

giving it to a child to shut them up?

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................not so much a good idea......

but we'll give the kids lots of other designer crap to shut them up so that we can get through our day.

Adios

Used to rub whiskey with sugar in it on the kids gums when they were teething.