A few notes on motivation, or, why I write.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 24, 2011, 05:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

During the recent assbaggery in Apple Talk, it was suggested that I write for an audience (among other things).

I didn't used to, not really.  Back in The Butthurt Years (2004-2005), I honestly hated 99% of the board, and had no interest at all in what they wrote, or even if they were hit by a double-decker bus driven by Efrim.

Time was, I wasn't here to entertain you.  If I did, that was a very nice, gratifying extra.  What I WAS here for is to spew, to rant my guts up, because I could say whatever the hell I needed to say, without monopolizing a conversation, going to jail, or being interrupted.  Then I started the psycho letters in Apple Talk, because that's where they belonged...I wasn't saying anything, I was just telling stories for everyones' amusement.  Hell, outside of a few things I said in Horrorology, I haven't really had anything TO say.  So I told stories, and enjoyed the feedback.

And maybe that has to change.  I'm tired of telling stories, and maybe I need to get back to writing down some actual thoughts, because what I've really always tried to do is just gel my thoughts in my own head.  Or at least I did, before I got tied up writing funny stories for mittens.

I think I was also writing the stories to express my amusement with the world...But since the stories are fluff that have outlived their usefulness - and given that I'm not laughing anymore - I think it's time to get down to brass fucking tacks, and get back to writing for me.

So, yeah, I escaped The Black Iron Prison of The Audience, and my new cell is far quieter.

Or Kill me.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Adios

LMNO

Motivations aside, you do have an audience.  Now more than ever.

And we wait with antici-pation on your future work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on January 24, 2011, 06:02:57 PM
Motivations aside, you do have an audience.  Now more than ever.

And we wait with antici-pation on your future work.

Thing is, LMNO, I don't get PAID for the stories, unless you count being hollered at as "pay" (Which is perfectly reasonable for some people, but not for me), and I got away from doing the things that actually helped me.

So, while I may write more stories in the future, they aren't my main focus.  Also, stories in the future will be in Bring & Brag...In fact, I'm probably going to move all the psycho letters and 5 part stories there, and then index them in a single sticky post.

This should return Apple Talk to its original purpose, which will make the cookies & pie crowd happy, it will keep the cookies and pie crowd from derailing my threads, which will keep me happy, and it will make shit easier to find for people who do want to read the stuff, which will make them happy.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Do what you gotta.  And if you ever feel like selling another piece of work (like MSY), you can count on my support.

Adios

Well, not going to move mine, but won't be putting anything close to content there again. Could one of you admin types go through the Suspicion Gland thread and move it with any real replies here? I still have some small hope that something will come from it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 24, 2011, 06:24:34 PM
Well, not going to move mine, but won't be putting anything close to content there again. Could one of you admin types go through the Suspicion Gland thread and move it with any real replies here? I still have some small hope that something will come from it.

I'll get it.

Whatever

I'm really sorry to see this.  I'm not sure what all I've missed so I'm not saying more till I go search out some whys and wherefores....

LMNO

Quote from: Niamh on January 24, 2011, 06:34:40 PM
I'm really sorry to see this.  I'm not sure what all I've missed so I'm not saying more till I go search out some whys and wherefores....

You just have to scroll down a little further to get to TGRR's contet.  I'm not sure what the problem is.

The Good Reverend Roger

I'm really sorry to see this.  I'm not sure what all I've missed so I'm not saying more till I go search out some whys and wherefores....

I'm just moving where I put stuff, and laying off the fiction for a while.  The former due to the board's atmosphere, and the latter because I want to.

Whatever

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 24, 2011, 06:47:43 PM

I'm just moving where I put stuff, and laying off the fiction for a while.  The former due to the board's atmosphere, and the latter because I want to.

Allrighty then  :)

Adios

Quote from: Niamh on January 24, 2011, 06:52:20 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 24, 2011, 06:47:43 PM

Allrighty then  :)

I feel just like your avatar.