News:

TESTAMONIAL:  "I was still a bit rattled by the spectacular devastation."

Main Menu

Ventura sues DHS

Started by Adios, January 25, 2011, 05:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura sued the Department of Homeland Security and the Transportation Security Administration on Monday, alleging full-body scans and pat-downs at airport checkpoints violate his right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures.

Ventura is asking a federal judge in Minnesota to issue an injunction ordering officials to stop subjecting him to "warrantless and suspicionless" scans and body searches.
The lawsuit, which also names Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and TSA Administrator John Pistole as defendants, argues the searches are "unwarranted and unreasonable intrusions on Governor Ventura's personal privacy and dignity and are a justifiable cause for him to be concerned for his personal health and well-being."

According to the lawsuit, Ventura received a hip replacement in 2008, and since then, his titanium implant has set off metal detectors at airport security checkpoints. The lawsuit said that prior to last November officials had used a non-invasive hand-held wand to scan his body as a secondary security measure.

But when Ventura set off the metal detector in November, he was instead subjected to a body pat-down and was not given the option of a scan with a hand-held wand or an exemption for being a frequent traveler, the lawsuit said.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41242600/ns/travel-news/

Good luck with that one Jesse.

Whatever

You know, I like Jessie.  I think he may be a bit "out there" but I like him.  I haven't seen his "Conspiracy Theory" show, but it's pissed off enough people that I have to wonder if he isn't hitting a little to close to home on some stuff.

I hope this lawsuit, if nothing else, opens a few people's eyes.

Not that I'm holding my breath...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I like that he takes it to the wall.

Mostly I think he's a self-important asshole, though.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Adios

Quote from: Nigel on January 25, 2011, 07:30:27 PM
I like that he takes it to the wall.

Mostly I think he's a self-important asshole, though.

That's why we love him.

Cramulus

he's a self important asshole, but he really seems like he's on our side. Which I can't say for a lot of politicians.

somebody on FB was talking about hsi conspiracy theory show, specifically in reference to Fusion Centers, which I had never heard of. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_center -- scary!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on January 25, 2011, 09:10:22 PM
he's a self important asshole, but he really seems like he's on our side. Which I can't say for a lot of politicians.

Unless you live in Minnesota, and like things like roads and schools.

Yeah, he's on our side.   :lol:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cramulus

shit, I guess he must be suing DHS for entirely personal reasons

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on January 25, 2011, 09:16:31 PM
shit, I guess he must be suing DHS for entirely personal reasons publicity

Perish the very notion.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cramulus

meh, go ahead and demonize  him, but he's defending privacy. If his lawsuit succeeds it will have helped us. And even if it doesn't, bringing this issue into the public sphere helps legitimize the importance of privacy and our rights.

What we NEED is for people with a degree of political clout to champion these issues. I'm not holding my breath for somebody with a pure heart and a clean record to do it. Ventura is taking a risk to fight off the police state, and that's cool by me.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on January 25, 2011, 09:30:56 PM
meh, go ahead and demonize  him,

So, the truth about someone is "demonizing" that person?

However, having done a bit of digging, I have confused Ventura with a Wisconsin governor, and so it wasn't the truth.  Argument retracted.

Adios

Doesn't matter anyway. I predict he will have an 'accident'.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 25, 2011, 09:45:02 PM
Doesn't matter anyway. I predict he will have an 'accident'.

No, they'll just play up his Truther comments from a year back, and discredit him.

Cramulus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2011, 09:37:00 PM

the truth that this is an ego driven publicity stunt? and if so, does that invalidate the Good FightTM for privacy?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on January 25, 2011, 09:48:39 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2011, 09:37:00 PM

the truth that this is an ego driven publicity stunt? and if so, does that invalidate the Good FightTM for privacy?

How nice of you to ignore the rest of my post, where I fucking retracted my statement.

Rest assured, that won't happen again.  I'll just dig my fucking heels in and howl all fucking day.

FFS.

Cramulus

did you retract this? this is what I was referring to

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2011, 09:17:29 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on January 25, 2011, 09:16:31 PM
shit, I guess he must be suing DHS for entirely personal reasons publicity

Perish the very notion.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2011, 09:50:05 PM
Rest assured, that won't happen again.  I'll just dig my fucking heels in and howl all fucking day.

for fuck's sake roger, seriously?