News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

Old Timers

Started by Adios, January 25, 2011, 07:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 25, 2011, 10:29:24 PM
Quote from: Nigel on January 25, 2011, 09:36:13 PM
ALL TRUE.

FUCKING RAD-ASS TRUTH.

It is true. Writing it made me a little melancholy.

Yup.

Goes with the territory. Getting old is neither easy nor avoidable. And I'm just starting.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

MMIX

Quote from: Nigel on January 26, 2011, 12:59:57 AM

[...]Getting old is neither easy nor avoidable. [...]

Bullshit, getting old is the easiest thing around. You wake up in the morning, you're another day older. You just deal with it. Its your life, live the fucking thing. A wise friend once commented to me - "Its not that I feel any older its just that people treat me as though I was". Everything else is just BS and practicalities. So my hair is gray and my tits are heading down to my knees - so fucking what? If I don't take the tablets I will die, well everyone has their problems, don't they? But I don't feel like wasting my time getting maudlin about some rosy dozy past. If I'm alive tomorrow that is my future, my life, and I'm just going to keep living it until I don't.

MMIX
Crone to the Bone
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

BadBeast

Great post CB. I suppose it's a good job the young never listen to a fucking word of advice from anyone 8 years or so older than they are, or nothing would ever change. I never listened to anything I was told either. (Still don't, come to think of it) Although I am not as advanced in years endowed with experience as you are, I find myself biting my tongue sometimes, when the urge to correct some 20yr old cocky little bastard rises. If tries to tell me "how it is", instead of correcting him, nowadays I just tell him to STFU. Mostly because no old gumby ever told me to STFU when I was his age, and I feel I may have benefited, had they done so. (And because I covet the youth that has so obviously been wasted on the young)   
I also am an Angler, and that's one big fookin' river there. The only thing that puzzles me, is where does all the water above the dam go? I looks like the river just stops there, but this cant be the case, unless it's actually capped off at the other end too. Making it a Lake, I think.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Adios

Quote from: BadBeast on January 28, 2011, 11:37:15 PM
Great post CB. I suppose it's a good job the young never listen to a fucking word of advice from anyone 8 years or so older than they are, or nothing would ever change. I never listened to anything I was told either. (Still don't, come to think of it) Although I am not as advanced in years endowed with experience as you are, I find myself biting my tongue sometimes, when the urge to correct some 20yr old cocky little bastard rises. If tries to tell me "how it is", instead of correcting him, nowadays I just tell him to STFU. Mostly because no old gumby ever told me to STFU when I was his age, and I feel I may have benefited, had they done so. (And because I covet the youth that has so obviously been wasted on the young)  
I also am an Angler, and that's one big fookin' river there. The only thing that puzzles me, is where does all the water above the dam go? I looks like the river just stops there, but this cant be the case, unless it's actually capped off at the other end too. Making it a Lake, I think.

It spills out into the Big Blue River for a couple of miles, then it empties into the Kansas River.

BadBeast

Wow, that's quite a torrent. Wouldn't want to be taken by surprise in that gully.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Adios

Quote from: BadBeast on January 29, 2011, 12:51:06 AM
Wow, that's quite a torrent. Wouldn't want to be taken by surprise in that gully.

Well, hard to be taken by surprise as there is always water coming from the dam. Guaranteed flow levels and all that. This is the river that is 300 feet behind my house, never dry.

BadBeast

Do you ever get flooded out?

Adios

Quote from: BadBeast on January 29, 2011, 01:03:58 AM
Do you ever get flooded out?
No, because of the dam. It (the dam) was flooded to capacity this year and they controlled the release because the Big Blue merges with the Kansas River and the Kansas merges with the Missouri River which was already at flood stage.

The picture is about a quarter of a mile upstream from me, by the tine it gets here it has calmed down nicely.