News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

Larger than Life

Started by The Wizard, January 24, 2011, 09:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 26, 2011, 09:05:34 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD on January 26, 2011, 04:30:16 PM
Are you saying Tesla didn't invent things, or that he wasn't beaten by his nemesis?

As far as I can see, those were the only two things Semaj said about him.

Telsa is one of my heroes, in a sad-sack sort of way. 

Mine as well.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Tesla was never "beaten by his nemesis". He did have many nemeses and many inventions stolen from him, including radio (eventually settled in a posthumous lawsuit ruling in his favor) but it was the lab fire that was his undoing, not some mythical nemesis. He never stopped inventing, although he did die poor and arguably insane.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard

QuoteTesla was never "beaten by his nemesis". He did have many nemeses and many inventions stolen from him, including radio (eventually settled in a posthumous lawsuit ruling in his favor) but it was the lab fire that was his undoing, not some mythical nemesis. He never stopped inventing, although he did die poor and arguably insane.

Yup. You were right.
Insanity we trust.

LMNO

Quote from: Nigel on January 26, 2011, 09:12:44 PM
Tesla was never "beaten by his nemesis". He did have many nemeses and many inventions stolen from him, including radio (eventually settled in a posthumous lawsuit ruling in his favor) but it was the lab fire that was his undoing, not some mythical nemesis. He never stopped inventing, although he did die poor and arguably insane.

Fair enough.  I read that he was really bad at marketing himself, while Edison was a showman, which led a lack of investors.

But now I have been educated.  Thanks!

The Good Reverend Roger

You are all Edisons.  I am Telsa.

That means I'll end up in a shitty motel room, obsessively counting my pubes.

Don't you wish you were me?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on January 24, 2011, 09:54:19 PM
You never hear about someone being Larger than Life anymore, is because no one seems to be willing to go out there and make themselves into a legend. No one is willing to push themselves to the very edge, to wage war against an arch enemy, to live life like it should be fucking lived! Instead we've got weak chinned politico's and reality TV. Humanity has castrated itself.

IMO, Kurt Cobain was the last "Larger than Life" type personality.  He pretty much put it all out there.  He seemed to really pour every ounce of himself into his craft.  It eventually seemed like it overwhelmed him and so he decided to end it on his terms.  The whole "better to burn out than fade away." idea.  (And of course I'm not condoning suicide.)

Saying that, I think he probably could've become even bigger.  From everything I read, he was on the verge of a career shift when he killed himself.  He was working on what sounded like a pretty epic collaboartion with Michael Stipe and was looking at taking his craft in a whole new direction.  

Honestly, rock and roll hasn't been the same since he died.  He left a huge mark and, IMO, a huge void.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.