News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

So Just Exactly What ARE We Doing, Anyway?

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 26, 2011, 06:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If not to agree on an agenda, what is the goal?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on January 26, 2011, 08:39:40 PM

The goal is to define what each individual involved has for an agenda, and set up a framework to help each other work towards those agendas.

Things are a little too robust, in a bad way, for an individual to make any measurable difference, these days.  Like one filthy old pervert once said, "Either we hang together, or we will surely hang apart."
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I came into Discordia after a 25 year prison sentence... or 25 years of being one of Jehovah's Witnesses... I don't exactly recall which ;-)

I was convinced that humans were 6000ish years old, that evolution was a crock of shit, that Jehovah was God, that about 6 million or so of us were gonna survive the End and that I would never die and instead live forever perfectly. I proselytized, I taught people The Truth (no kidding, that's what JW's call their belief system) I converted whole families to a religion that I now find completely useless... and sadly those families are still involved, their lives are still affected while I've moved on.

When I stumbled into Eris it was like an explosion in my head, I know it sounds corny and trite but my first read of the PD changed my perceptions more than any single thing I have ever encountered. When I later ran into all the other 'Discordianish' books (the ones I occasionally rant about), I began to process data about me. I mean seriously, the first 25 years of my life and I had never really been at all self-reflective. I never needed to... I knew the Truth, that was all there was to it.

Its taken nearly a decade to decide that for me, Discordianism isn't about what I am gonna do to the world... but about what I am gonna do to me. I do pranks, I pull off jokes and jakes and stage silly events... but I do them entirely for me. If someone else is inspired by what I'm doing that's cool... if someone engages me in something philosophical I'll share my ideas... but I write for me, I prank for me, I'm a Discordian for me.

I hang out here for me, because when I hang out in other "Discordian" forums, its an echo chamber. Here I have to reflect on my interactions with you asshats  :D

Even though I sometimes violently disagree with TGRR or RWHN or any of you other freaks... I find that I tend to reflect later on how I acted, how I screwed up the conversation... or how I made some assumption that was unwarranted.

I don't think Discordia will change the world, I doubt she'd want to anyway. The whole fucking place seem like her kind of party. I don't think memes and jakes and trolling Tea Party sites will make any difference whatsoever... except maybe give a couple of the real foaming mouths a better chance of heart attack.  :lulz:

Its taken me awhile to come to this conclusion... when I first started with Discordianism I simply replaced the old JW lines with the new PD lines and acted just as I had in the past. If the search function worked, you could find evidence of that here, even years after Eris blessed me.

It would be awesome if mankind were free, but I'm still trying to free myself.

QuoteAnd when men become free then mankind will be free.
May you be free of The Curse of Greyface.
May the Goddess put twinkles in your eyes.
May you have the knowledge of a sage,
    and the wisdom of a child. Hail Eris.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratatosk on January 26, 2011, 08:59:37 PM
I don't think Discordia will change the world, I doubt she'd want to anyway. The whole fucking place seem like her kind of party. I don't think memes and jakes and trolling Tea Party sites will make any difference whatsoever... except maybe give a couple of the real foaming mouths a better chance of heart attack.  :lulz:

Well, I'm going to try.  I have to have SOMETHING to do between now and when I die of old age.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 26, 2011, 09:03:46 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on January 26, 2011, 08:59:37 PM

Well, I'm going to try.  I have to have SOMETHING to do between now and when I die of old age.

Heel yeah, and good luck with it! Its just not what I am doing...

Maybe once I get old...  :wink:

j/k
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

I'm here to keep myself sane while pursuing the more personally relevant objects of

a) getting paid, and
b) [figuring out a bunch of stuff which will aid in achieving a) while allowing me to do things I find much more interesting than telling kids how to add their numbers up]

Unfortunately, that leaves very little time for anything else, especially in the case of b), which is such an expansive and research intensive undertaking it could easily take a decade before it bears any real fruit.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 26, 2011, 08:46:41 PM

The goal is to define what each individual involved has for an agenda, and set up a framework to help each other work towards those agendas.

Things are a little too robust, in a bad way, for an individual to make any measurable difference, these days.  Like one filthy old pervert once said, "Either we hang together, or we will surely hang apart."

Well, my agenda is that I'm against it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on January 26, 2011, 09:19:32 PM

That's fine. My agenda is different from yours, so don't mind if I don't follow it.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Wizard

My goals are:

1. To make the most of myself, to be able to live up to my ideals.

2. To try and get people to care. Even if they don't agree with me, I'm okay with it. I'll take one of the raving crazies over someone who's apathetic any day.

3. To make the world as strange and fun as I can.

4. To have fun.

Personally, I'd like to contribute more to this site, though in what form I'm not entirely sure yet.
Insanity we trust.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Blight on January 26, 2011, 09:23:20 PM

Things are a little too robust, in a bad way, for an individual to make any measurable difference, these days.  Like one filthy old pervert once said, "Either we hang together, or we will surely hang apart."

That's fine. My agenda is different from yours, so don't mind if I don't follow it.

Is there a reason you think I would care?

The Good Reverend Roger

Okay.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on January 26, 2011, 09:27:03 PM

Things are a little too robust, in a bad way, for an individual to make any measurable difference, these days.  Like one filthy old pervert once said, "Either we hang together, or we will surely hang apart."

No. I'm just pointing out that just because you're not interested in this doesn't mean some of us aren't.
You think for yourself, I'll think for myself. That's kinda one of the points of all of this, or so I thought.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

AFK

So, if we end up doing something that you don't want to do.  Don't do it.  There is no prerequisite, nor has their ever been one, to be part of this community AND participate in any projects or activities.  It's always been the case, and it's always been recognized that some people come here just to hang.  I don't think anyone has any problem with that.  But, nor should the people here to just hang have a problem if some of us do get together to work on projects.  Both can co-exist here.  They have for as long as I've been on this board.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: RWHN, MPP on January 26, 2011, 09:30:57 PM

So, if we end up doing something that you don't want to do.  Don't do it.  There is no prerequisite, nor has their ever been one, to be part of this community AND participate in any projects or activities.  It's always been the case, and it's always been recognized that some people come here just to hang.  I don't think anyone has any problem with that.  But, nor should the people here to just hang have a problem if some of us do get together to work on projects.  Both can co-exist here.  They have for as long as I've been on this board.  

Right.

And this thread asked for opinions and input, so I gave mine. Sorry it doesn't go along with the majority.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Blight on January 26, 2011, 09:30:31 PM
Quote from: Nigel on January 26, 2011, 09:27:03 PM

No. I'm just pointing out that just because you're not interested in this doesn't mean some of us aren't.
You think for yourself, I'll think for myself. That's kinda one of the points of all of this, or so I thought.

Yep. And unless your agenda directly involves me, there's no particular reason for me to give a shit. Since you made a point of telling me about it, I thought there might be a reason you would think I'd care.