News:

Look at the world emptily, and it will gladly return the favor.

Main Menu

So Just Exactly What ARE We Doing, Anyway?

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 26, 2011, 06:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

navkat

Quote from: Hoopla on January 26, 2011, 07:09:54 PM

1)  Alert people to the fact that their own personal reality is largely their own creation, so they might as well have fun with it.

Hah! It doesn't have to be a Prison all the time, does it?

Quote5)  Make people laugh at the absurdity of it all.

I do this every day.

The Good Reverend Roger

BUMP.

I don't have time to do this, between IRL projects, editing the 30 days thing, and working on the next comic.

Captain Utopia, it's all yours.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Captain Utopia

Holy crap that took longer than I expected.  Okay, so I've probably misrepresented a bunch of you.

Sorry about that.

My approach here was to start with Rogers 4 points, and add a new point each time something new/distinctive seemed to crop up.  I've also filtered out anything which looked like a personal goal.  The rationale being that this thread is about what we can hope to accomplish together, if we share any external goals outside of ourselves and immediate community.  E.g. I may have a goal to have a bigger zing zang, but at the end of the day, I'm gonna have to order them there pills from the internet myself, you know?

Also, I was ruthless about trying to strip out means from goals.  E.g. my original input was all means.  So my name doesn't appear - oops.

#2 and #4 are clear winners.  But they are also vague and broad categories.  E.g. #2 could equally, in my view, be called - "make people less stupid, including ourselves".  I find it interesting that the votes correspond to my view of what Discordianism originally was about, but I'm most likely lo5'ing that.

The flawed list

1) Maximize Freedom
  Roger
 Charley Brown
 LMNO, PhD
 Cuddlefish
 Reeducation
 Hover Cat

2) Reality tunnel escape/intellectual improvement/think for yourself
  Roger
 LMNO, PhD
 Hoopla
 RHWN
 Doktor Blight
 Niamh
 Cuddlefish
 Requia
 Nigel
 Dr. James Semaj
 Eater of Clowns
 Pastor Miskatonic Zappathruster
 NET
 Demolition_Squid
 Hover Cat
  Doktor Phox

3) Keep things strange, or more so
  Roger
 LMNO, PhD
 Cuddlefish
 Dr. James Semaj
 Kai
  Doktor Phox

4) Have Fun
  Roger
 LMNO, PhD
 Hoopla
 Doktor Blight
 Niamh
 Cuddlefish
 Dr. James Semaj
 NET
 Hover Cat
 Canis latrans eques
 P3nT4gR4m
  Doktor Phox

5) Change Political/Cultural climate
 Doktor Blight
 Xooxe

6) Evangelism
 Cuddlefish
 NET
 Cramulus

7) Reduce Apathy
 Dr. James Semaj

What next?

Let's argue about categories!

I'm looking for suggestions about any additional categories I missed, or any obvious way to split up/rearrange the existing ones.

What then?

Then we can make corrections about who-goes-where.  Probably in a new thread.  I missed the boat on "reduce apathy", but I'll have to wait to vote for it.  

Anyone on the board who missed the original discussion is - of course - more than welcome to join in, too.

What then, then?

Where to go from there depends highly on what areas we figure we actually have consensus on.  Hopefully it'll be obvious.  IMO the best result would be if the answer arose spontaneously out of community discussion.  Personally, I'd be delighted to see groups/cabals branching off into separate projects, but we'll see I guess.

Kai

Captain Utopia's all growed up! It feels like just yesterday you were a total newb.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Phox

Fuck it, sign me up for 2, 3, and 4. Sounds like a good time.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 28, 2011, 02:18:37 PM
You missed me on keeping things strange.

Sorry about that, I started with your initial four categories, added people who agreed with them, and forgot to add your name.  Fixed now.

Quote from: Doktor Phox on February 28, 2011, 02:20:35 PM
Fuck it, sign me up for 2, 3, and 4. Sounds like a good time.

Okay done.

At this stage now, I'd really like to concentrate on what the categories should be, rather than who-goes-where.  I.e. I want to make sure I didn't miss anyones input first.  I'll create a new thread within the next few days with category revisions, once that discussion tapers off.  I don't want to turn this into a bureaucratic mush, but I do want to make sure that everyones voice is heard.

Nephew Twiddleton

1 and 5 can probably be merged. Maximizing freedom and changing political climate, while not exactly the same, go well together.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Jasper

Richter

My own M.O., after chewing over a chat with Roger, is basically to clal others and myself on the bullshit.  Basically 2,3,4. 

#1 is a worthy goal, but it seems like a very arbitrary one, and is likely covered in the execution of 2 and 3.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Nephew Twiddleton

You can probably sign me up for all of them, but I'm a bit iffy about the evangelism. Though evangelizing evangelists is an idea I've been toying with. But that can probably be assigned to other categories. I'll see if I can come up with some other possible goals.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on February 28, 2011, 07:58:58 PM
You can probably sign me up for all of them, but I'm a bit iffy about the evangelism. Though evangelizing evangelists is an idea I've been toying with. But that can probably be assigned to other categories. I'll see if I can come up with some other possible goals.

I evangelize for other religions.

Badly. 

:lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 28, 2011, 08:06:59 PM

Badly. 

:lulz: That's not a bad idea either. Maybe tailor it to the target too, like, maybe for That Jesus Guy who's at every Sox game and metal concert in Massachusetts, evangelize for atheism, or Raelianism.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on February 28, 2011, 08:12:00 PM

Badly. 

:lulz: That's not a bad idea either. Maybe tailor it to the target too, like, maybe for That Jesus Guy who's at every Sox game and metal concert in Massachusetts, evangelize for atheism, or Raelianism.

Calvinism and Baptist sects are my prey of choice.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 28, 2011, 08:14:21 PM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on February 28, 2011, 08:12:00 PM

Badly. 

Calvinism and Baptist sects are my prey of choice.

Jesus Guy is either a Baptist or a Pentacostal. I forget exactly which. They interviewed him in the Phoenix a couple of years ago.

Found article. He's a Baptist:
http://thephoenix.com/boston/life/9674-id-check-bob-whetstone/

Is there baseball in Heaven?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVoFoNWOF-c