News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

Magic is spelled without the fucking special K you fucking dingbats

Started by Don Coyote, January 27, 2011, 05:46:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on January 27, 2011, 06:39:41 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 27, 2011, 06:36:23 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on January 27, 2011, 06:35:22 PM
Quote from: Slyph on January 27, 2011, 05:35:53 PM
But that's a really confusing and unnecessarily gratuitous use of the word "magic" and you shouldn't be at all surprised when people assume you hold paranormal beliefs. (Alan Moore is cool imho though)

Well... that depends. If you read most "magic" books... from Crowley to Farber to Carroll and even back into the really old stuff like Abramelin... it very much ties to psychology, philosophy, self-mindfuckery and modification of the consciousness of the 'magician'. The paranormal perception tied to it is from people that don't read (or don't comprehend) what the authors are saying (or they just read Monte Cooks Arcana Unleashed).

I mean, we hang out at principiadiscordia.com, one of the more obvious URL's for 'discordianism'. Many discordians seem to hold pinealistic beliefs, does that mean we should seperate ourselves entirely from Discordianism, or does it just mean that there are idiots in any model?

Why not just call it self-mindfuckery, then?

Because the word that was coined for it was magic.  That word just got corrupted over time.

Pretty sure the word "magic" predates your model.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Slyph on January 27, 2011, 06:41:05 PM
It only ties into psychology if you think Wilhelm Reich was right.

:lulz:  that is so full of incorrect I don't know where to begin...

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 27, 2011, 06:41:28 PM

Pretty sure it doesn't. Abramelin the Mage is pretty fucking old...
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

My guess is that they knew something was going on, but didn't know what.  They called the correlation between what they did and what they experienced "magic".  

When it turned out to be "just" mindfuckery and self-psychology, most people wanted to keep believing it was something paranormal.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratatosk on January 27, 2011, 06:43:00 PM
Quote from: Slyph on January 27, 2011, 06:41:05 PM
It only ties into psychology if you think Wilhelm Reich was right.

:lulz:  that is so full of incorrect I don't know where to begin...

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 27, 2011, 06:41:28 PM

Pretty sure it doesn't. Abramelin the Mage is pretty fucking old...

Oh, well, in English, probably not.  My bad, forget I said a word.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on January 27, 2011, 06:45:18 PM
My guess is that they knew something was going on, but didn't know what.  They called the correlation between what they did and what they experienced "magic". 

When it turned out to be "just" mindfuckery and self-psychology, most people wanted to keep believing it was something paranormal.

Yeah.

To be perfectly honest, it probably should have a different name.  Shall we coin it?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Hoopla on January 27, 2011, 06:46:41 PM
My guess is that they knew something was going on, but didn't know what.  They called the correlation between what they did and what they experienced "magic". 

Yeah.

To be perfectly honest, it probably should have a different name.  Shall we coin it?

I think that's where Crowley was going with the Magick... ironically.

Slyph

kmagick? Magickk?

(No hate by the way fellas, I'm just playing.)

LMNO

Yeah.

"Scientology".

BadBeast

Why not just call it "Sorcery"?
That's got a good, Scriptural history as a word, and can mean any of the various Dark Arts, from Tarot, Santeria, and Reiki, to Harry Potterism, Wicca, and Dungeons and Dragons.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on January 27, 2011, 06:50:17 PM
My guess is that they knew something was going on, but didn't know what.  They called the correlation between what they did and what they experienced "magic".  

Yeah.

"Scientology".

THE
FUCKING
CENTURY!

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I think that's true to a point.  Most 'magicians' that I respect use the term because words have meaning and impact, especially in mindfuckery and self-psychology. Nothing wrong with Props, as long as you realize that they are props.

The problems that incite these sorts of rants... generally involve people who don't realize that they're using props.

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 27, 2011, 06:51:35 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD on January 27, 2011, 06:50:17 PM

Yeah.

"Scientology".

THE
FUCKING
CENTURY!

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

:ECH:

BadBeast

Can't call it that, or the Batshit Hubbardian Scientologists will sue!
Maybe just adopt Torquemada's progressive, non-sectarian approach, and burn the fucking lot. Scientologists especially. They're the worst. They're Alienists ffs! Heretics commit a crime against Mother Church, but Alienists commit a crime against the whole fucking species!  
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: BadBeast on January 27, 2011, 06:59:20 PM
Can't call it that, or the Batshit Hubbardian Scientologists will sue!
Maybe just adopt Torquemada's progressive, non-sectarian approach, and burn the fucking lot. Scientologists especially. They're the worst. They're Alienists ffs! Heretics commit a crime against Mother Church, but Alienists commit a crime against the whole fucking species!  

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: