News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

A Big 'Fuck You' from the Supreme Court

Started by Telarus, June 30, 2011, 09:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2011/06/28/us-supreme-court-refuses-to-allow-abu-ghraib-torture-victims-to-sue-military-contractors/

Now private citizens contracted by the Military have free reign to break both local laws and international treaties.

GO AMRKKA!  :horrormirth:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Jenne

"All's fair in love and war"?  I think the "combat activities" was a loophole that was used effectively, as was the use of contractors outright.  They seem to be escaping prosecution wholesale for deeds done in Iraq and Afghanistan the last decade or so (and elsewhere, I'd imagine, as well...).

Laughin Jude

Oh hey, I think I have something about this:

QuoteAs you might imagine, having a country run by combinations of agents from these two factions has led to a bloated, corrupt bureaucracy ruled by nefarious sociopaths with total disregard for individual liberty or happiness, an insulated ruling class who feel justified in spending the nation into bankruptcy while indiscriminately killing non-citizens overseas (either in "self-defense" through wars of aggression or for "humanitarian purposes" to ensure cheap access to natural resources in foreign nations) and imposing blatantly illegal restrictions on their serfs' activities in the homeland. Luckily for the members of the Council they also control the courts, who ostensibly watch the watchmen but are mostly packed with watchmen as well, meaning even with the right to vote, run for office and file suit against the government the serfs are effectively (though unofficially and therefore legally) disenfranchised.
Laughin Jude.com - Philosophy, snark, weird stories and bad art

The Plain and Honest Truth - A semi-Discordian serial novel about 9/11, the Iraq War, aliens, the origins of Western religion and an evil sock puppet from another dimension