News:

PD.com: We'll make you an offer you can't understand.

Main Menu

UK proactive on climate change.

Started by Adios, January 29, 2011, 07:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Roads built to the same standards as the scorching south of France; fish moved from the overheated Lake District to cooler waters in Scotland; lighthouses threatened by rising seas.
From measures in use already to seemingly far-fetched scenarios for the future, these are some of the findings in the first batch of climate adaptation plans submitted to the environment ministry Defra.
Under the Climate Change Act, 91 major organisations responsible for key aspects of national infrastructure have to explain how they will cope if the climate alters as forecast.
The latest projections suggest the potential for major change - for example that it is "very likely" that southern England will on average be 2.2-6.8C warmer by the 2080s.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12302555

Nice to see some advanced planning!

Cain

Would be more helpful if they hadn't cut the pay of and instituted a hiring freeze on the main agency responsible for flood prevention and general environmental issues.

On top of a previous budget cut from the last government.

On top of years of underfunding.

While screaming hordes of monkeys at the main newspaper supporting the current government deny global warming even exists, or if it does that it is not man-made.

Slyph

Quote from: Cain on January 30, 2011, 03:23:33 PM
Would be more helpful if they hadn't cut the pay of and instituted a hiring freeze on the main agency responsible for flood prevention and general environmental issues.

On top of a previous budget cut from the last government.

On top of years of underfunding.

While screaming hordes of monkeys at the main newspaper supporting the current government deny global warming even exists, or if it does that it is not man-made.

Didn't Naomi Klein say (in jest) somewhere that maybe the reason the real elite don't seem to give a shit about Global Warming is because they think they, personally and as a class, will be able to dodge anything nature throws at them?

If this were the case it wouldn't be surprising to see things being done that look token efforts when you consider the scale of the problem, but sensible if your goal is to... protect a privileged few?

Adios

I didn't know the budget had been slashed.

Seriously, isn't there already enough evidence on the table that global warming is happening? FFS.

Don Coyote

Looks like the UK is half smart.

Morons. They should be prepping for climate change. Regardless of whether or not is man-made.

Phox

Quote from: Canis latrans eques on January 30, 2011, 08:05:03 PM
Looks like the UK is half smart.

Morons. They should be prepping for climate change. Regardless of whether or not is man-made.

Yeah, I really never understood that argument. "There's no proof humans are the cause of global warming! It would happen anyway! Trees make more carbon emissions than people!" Okay. So, we shouldn't take any steps at lessening the damages it might cause because it would have happened anyway. Okay. Nah, it's perfectly fine to build a house on that floodplain. Nah, you don't need to elevate it. No, you shouldn't complain that they are building that dam, because your house would end up getting flooded anyway.

Slyph

Yeah, like I say, they don't give a shit about global warming hitting us, because they can move wherever the hell turns into the next Champagne region and throw a big fence up. :lulz:

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 30, 2011, 04:49:13 PM

Seriously, isn't there already enough evidence on the table that global warming is happening? FFS.
My area got more a lot snow than usual this year, and that's all most people need to convince themselves that global warming is a farce.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Pastor Miskatonic Zappathruster on January 31, 2011, 01:20:35 AM
Quote from: Charley Brown on January 30, 2011, 04:49:13 PM

My area got more a lot snow than usual this year, and that's all most people need to convince themselves that global warming is a farce.

I know right? Like it snowed in my puny little desert town that hasn't seen snow in over a decade. Therefore global warming is false.

Nephew Twiddleton

Also completely ignoring the fact that higher sea temperatures are going to, you know, put more moisture in the air which will lead to more frequent snowstorms in winter, since the change isn't enough to bring the atmosphere above freezing yet. I'm not a scientist, and it seems pretty reasonable to me.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Blight on February 01, 2011, 06:29:42 PM
Also completely ignoring the fact that higher sea temperatures are going to, you know, put more moisture in the air which will lead to more frequent snowstorms in winter, since the change isn't enough to bring the atmosphere above freezing yet. I'm not a scientist, and it seems pretty reasonable to me.

Oh shit that never occured to me. I just figured that more heat would alter air pressure and make shit move places that made no sense and thus the freaky winter weather.

We are so bawls now.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Canis latrans eques on February 01, 2011, 07:19:04 PM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on February 01, 2011, 06:29:42 PM

Oh shit that never occured to me. I just figured that more heat would alter air pressure and make shit move places that made no sense and thus the freaky winter weather.

We are so bawls now.

You're probably right in that regard too. Hence the current storm affecting 30 states.