News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

Cooperative dungeon

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 31, 2011, 01:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

It isn't at all.  For one thing, there isn't enough hallway.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Wyldkat on May 30, 2011, 06:41:47 AM
Sounds sort of like World's Largest Dungeon, but with reasonably sized maps, even down to the themes for the levels.  Paging through a copy might be interesting and/or helpful if you can find one.  The actual set up for play is a pain though.

Should be a heck of a lot of fun to play!

I have a copy.  It blows chunks.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Wyldkat

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 30, 2011, 04:21:06 PM
Sounds sort of like World's Largest Dungeon, but with reasonably sized maps, even down to the themes for the levels.  Paging through a copy might be interesting and/or helpful if you can find one.  The actual set up for play is a pain though.

I never said it was good!  LOL  It was a good idea, but what they ended up with was clunky and a pain in the rear to run.  I was using it for a store game for awhile and we pull it out when we're bored and no one is willing to agree on anything.  I'm really curious about how yours ends up though, I've toyed with the idea myself.  Making smaller maps would condense the action a lot (one of my largest peeves with it) and keeping it linear (1-2-3) rather than the weird matrix they had (1/3 to either 3/5 a or b) sounds like it would work a lot better in actual play.  Also, if I missed it I apologize, are you going to have an overarching theme to tie the different levels together or just a theme for each level?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Wyldkat on May 30, 2011, 09:30:01 PM

I never said it was good!  LOL  It was a good idea, but what they ended up with was clunky and a pain in the rear to run.  I was using it for a store game for awhile and we pull it out when we're bored and no one is willing to agree on anything.  I'm really curious about how yours ends up though, I've toyed with the idea myself.  Making smaller maps would condense the action a lot (one of my largest peeves with it) and keeping it linear (1-2-3) rather than the weird matrix they had (1/3 to either 3/5 a or b) sounds like it would work a lot better in actual play.  Also, if I missed it I apologize, are you going to have an overarching theme to tie the different levels together or just a theme for each level?

Alternate names:

Biggest Damn Hallway
Biggest Group Wrecker
Biggest Waste of a C-Note

And we're doing a DM's choice per level, probably.  This got backburnered by the Hog Waller campaign.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Freeky

And my campaign too, whch needs a name.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenkem and SPACE/TIME on May 31, 2011, 01:26:38 AM
And my campaign too, whch needs a name.

Same region, but yeah, you're not doing the whole hobgobby thing.

Wyldkat

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 31, 2011, 01:16:08 AM

Alternate names:

Biggest Damn Hallway
Biggest Group Wrecker

And we're doing a DM's choice per level, probably.  This got backburnered by the Hog Waller campaign.

If you're doing GM choice of theme per level and it's supposed to be one campaign/dungeon do you think it might get disjointed without an overarching concept?  World's Largest has that whole celestial thing going on which tied all the inanity together.  If you ever do get around to building it and running it I would be very interested in hearing how it works out. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Wyldkat on May 31, 2011, 01:56:25 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 31, 2011, 01:16:08 AM

Alternate names:

Biggest Damn Hallway
Biggest Group Wrecker

If you're doing GM choice of theme per level and it's supposed to be one campaign/dungeon do you think it might get disjointed without an overarching concept?  World's Largest has that whole celestial thing going on which tied all the inanity together.  If you ever do get around to building it and running it I would be very interested in hearing how it works out. 

So what?  It's a dungeon crawl.  It doesn't have to be connected.  Save that for story arcs.  This is pure, undiluted hack n slash, old school.

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 31, 2011, 01:58:08 AM
So what?  It's a dungeon crawl.  It doesn't have to be connected.  Save that for story arcs.  This is pure, undiluted hack n slash, old school.

Some of the best RP stories I've ever had the joy of watching unfold happened during straight up hack and slash modules.  When not handed subplots to play with, my old group would come up with their own.  God, I miss them.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Wyldkat

I was just curious what your take was on it.  Lots of my dungeon crawls are more story based than hack and slash and I was curious how you were going to do it.

Freeky

Here is an interesting (to me) thing I've observed this weekend; Players are more frustrated by challenging fights and storyline if there isn't a prize at the end of the road.  I'm not put off by it, as such, but I think it's an interesting look at mindset and what gamers have been hardwired to want, other than killing stuff. 

I think I'm probably babbling, you should just ignore this post if I accidentally offended you.  Didn't want to/mean to, nor do I even really see anything in therethat could be taken as such.

I promise, however, your next treasure stash won't be mostly stuff you have to save for another campaign.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Wyldkat on May 31, 2011, 03:28:23 AM

I was just curious what your take was on it.  Lots of my dungeon crawls are more story based than hack and slash and I was curious how you were going to do it.

:crankey:

KEEP YOUR STINKING STORY BASED SHIT IN TOWN, OR JUST USE VAMPIRE/GOTH ALMIGHTY!  THERE ARE NO STORIES IN DUNGEONS.  THERE ARE HORRIBLE FUCKING MONSTERS AND TRAPS AND SWAG!

Don Coyote

YOU WANT PLOT???

I GIVE YOU PLOT!!!

THERE ARE THINGS WITH SHIT YOU WANT, ALSO SOMEONE'S SHEEP GOT EATEN!!!!!

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 31, 2011, 04:07:17 PM
Quote from: Wyldkat on May 31, 2011, 03:28:23 AM

KEEP YOUR STINKING STORY BASED SHIT IN TOWN, OR JUST USE VAMPIRE/GOTH ALMIGHTY!  THERE ARE NO STORIES IN DUNGEONS.  THERE ARE HORRIBLE FUCKING MONSTERS AND TRAPS AND SWAG!

Hey, whoa, plot hooks are stories, too.  DON'T DISCRIMINATE AGAINST THE HOOKS, MAN!