News:

Your political affiliations, your brand loyalties, and your opinions are all quicker, easier, and contain no user-serviceable parts.

Main Menu

Serenity

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 31, 2011, 02:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

I'm writing a Serenity campaign for a buddy of mine who got shafted as GM on short notice.

Here's the bare-bones outlines.  Ideas appreciated.

Party comes across a fast transport spacecraft that's been boarded by two Reavers in a beat up scout ship.  They also board, and defeat the Reavers (one hopes), only to find the crew/passengers of the fast transport dead, and the reactor all boogered up and ready to go all melty.  The only thing they can grab if they want to get out alive is a damaged data module.

The data module is corrupted, but they manage to get the coordinates to a space station that the fast transport was fleeing.  Seems the passengers were the backers for a pack of illegal but highly lucrative genetic experiments having to do with pyschic abilities.  Something went wrong, and only the backers got out alive, the crew of the space station having apparently been killed by their own test subjects.  All the actual - and valuable - data on the data module is beyond recovery, but itself was only a copy of what's in the computers at the space station.

Needless to say, the players are going to have dollar signs in their eyes.

What's waiting for them, of course, is a dungeon-in-space, as big as I care to make it, all crawling with beasties and mutated people.  Basically, I'm going to re-write some appropriate D&D and Gamma World monsters, call their supernatural abilities "psychic", and give the players what every gamer has always wanted:  A dungeon with shotguns and grenades.

Complications:

1.  One of the backers wasn't on the fast transport, he was still on one of the core worlds, and he's sent a group to find out what happened to his investment.  The other group is supposed to kill anyone who they run into that doesn't belong there, but there should be enough baddies there that they will probably have to team up...for a while.

2.  The Alliance has tumbled onto what's happened, and has sent some elite troops to investigate, get the data, and make all traces (ie, both adventuring groups) "go away".

At the end, of course, the party gets the data.

Then they just have to find a way to sell it.

What I'm looking for here is encounter ideas.  Due to the fail nature of the Serenity engine, I'll be using the Spycraft version of D20 modern, the Stargate rules, and every monster I can jam in a funny dress and call a "mutant".  D&D, Gamma World, or anything else.

Oh, yeah, the janitor bots are on a rampage.  Just because.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Wizard

How weird are we talking for the mutants? And do you mind converting critters that aren't D20?
Insanity we trust.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on January 31, 2011, 03:28:26 AM
How weird are we talking for the mutants? And do you mind converting critters that aren't D20?

Displacer beasts without the tentacles, etc.

And yeah, I can work with non-D20 creatures.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Luna

Gotta de-lurk, here, because this sounds like such an awesome idea.

Have a peek at the old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles RPG stuff from Palladium for interesting ideas on ways to mutate critters.  (I'm a fan of homebrewing that sort of thing, anyway.) 

Depending on how trusting the party is, tossing in the mutated kitty with the big "trust-me" eyes to offer helpful advice, fight at their side... and eat somebody in their sleep is always fun.  (Or, hey, bring in the whole pack of his buddies when the party is damnfool enough to actually leave kitty on guard alone.  "Oh, I can watch!  I can see in the dark, after all!")

You can always toss a few Reavers in.  (Captured experimental subjects, of course.)  They're loose... and one or two of 'em actually managed to have a few brains jump-started so they're more dangerous than just "pack of ravening, fearless psychos."  Give one of 'em an actual grasp of tactics, and the telepathic ability to enforce orders on other Reavers...

You've also got the families/heirs of the other backers to play with.  If your first batch of rival adventurers fails, you can always toss a second or third batch into the mix.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on January 31, 2011, 03:09:07 PM
Gotta de-lurk, here, because this sounds like such an awesome idea.

Have a peek at the old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles RPG stuff from Palladium for interesting ideas on ways to mutate critters.  (I'm a fan of homebrewing that sort of thing, anyway.) 

Depending on how trusting the party is, tossing in the mutated kitty with the big "trust-me" eyes to offer helpful advice, fight at their side... and eat somebody in their sleep is always fun.  (Or, hey, bring in the whole pack of his buddies when the party is damnfool enough to actually leave kitty on guard alone.  "Oh, I can watch!  I can see in the dark, after all!")

You can always toss a few Reavers in.  (Captured experimental subjects, of course.)  They're loose... and one or two of 'em actually managed to have a few brains jump-started so they're more dangerous than just "pack of ravening, fearless psychos."  Give one of 'em an actual grasp of tactics, and the telepathic ability to enforce orders on other Reavers...

You've also got the families/heirs of the other backers to play with.  If your first batch of rival adventurers fails, you can always toss a second or third batch into the mix.

1.  There will be no telepathic cats.  There are standards here, and we will LEARN from David Weber's horrible fate.

2.  Hmmm...Super Reaver.  I like that one.

Luna

Cat doesn't have to be telepathic...  I was thinking vocal, or at least Lassie-helpful.  You know, to keep the party from ganking the little fluffball on sight.  Heck, stick the party down a hole with a desperate need to get out NOW... and have the thing drop 'em a rope.  Convey that it understands... and is helpful... right up 'til the fangs come out and it tries to eat somebody.  (Cat's just an example, useful if you have party members whose players are particularly attached to their pets.  Dog's a little obvious.  Nobody who's ever seen Monty Python will fall for a bunny rabbit...  Though an homage to the Legendary Black Beast of Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh might make for an interesting tension breaker...)

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cain

The idea of weaponized Reavers is a good one.  I can see the Alliance being entirely that stupid....plus, we know the Alliance has made psychic spies before.  Psychic + psychotic = a bad mix for anyone unlucky enough to run across them.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 31, 2011, 03:47:49 PM
The idea of weaponized Reavers is a good one.  I can see the Alliance being entirely that stupid....plus, we know the Alliance has made psychic spies before.  Psychic + psychotic = a bad mix for anyone unlucky enough to run across them.

The idea here is that the psychic abilities in the animals and humans invariably drives them mad...Albeit in different ways.  Some will be OMFG HOMOCIDIAL ASPLODEY DUDE, and some will be catatonic, paranoid, or constantly hallucinating.

Cain

I was mainly thinking if a Reaver had psychic powers, would it accidentally transmit images and thoughts into the minds of the party and any other people in the surrounding area?  So in addition to the physical threat represented by creatures having been driven insane by psychic ability research, there would also be a mental/sanity threat - I'm not sure exactly how that could be made to work in the game, but perhaps some variety on will saves or sanity levels would be the way to go?  Anyway, that would mean in addition to having to worry about genetic monstrosities running amok, they'd have to worry about their own mental integrity, as well as that of anyone else they met.  And in that there is plenty of scope for Lovecraftian style tropes about madness, as well as perhaps adding a race-against time element and adding something of a more horror feel to the entire scenario.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on January 31, 2011, 04:22:55 PM
I was mainly thinking if a Reaver had psychic powers, would it accidentally transmit images and thoughts into the minds of the party and any other people in the surrounding area?  So in addition to the physical threat represented by creatures having been driven insane by psychic ability research, there would also be a mental/sanity threat - I'm not sure exactly how that could be made to work in the game, but perhaps some variety on will saves or sanity levels would be the way to go?  Anyway, that would mean in addition to having to worry about genetic monstrosities running amok, they'd have to worry about their own mental integrity, as well as that of anyone else they met.  And in that there is plenty of scope for Lovecraftian style tropes about madness, as well as perhaps adding a race-against time element and adding something of a more horror feel to the entire scenario.

Whoa.

The Good Reverend Roger

That's interesting, Cain.  Even if nobody went nuts, it would be a distraction...Maybe a DC14 (? based on CHA, I think) will save.  Failure indicates the sickened condition, success indicates the distracted condition if the PC is within, say, 60 feet of the Uber Reaver.  A critical failure indicates the character is confused, as per the D&D spell.

The Good Reverend Roger

The adventure is going to be extremely difficult without the chance of someone going all homocidal.  With that, it would be unwinnable.

Luna

Nice...  I'd go with a wisdom save rather than charisma, but, DM's call on that one.  Toss in a "fail save by 10 or more and roll a D6 before each attack... and if you roll a 1-3 on that D6, you attack your intended target.  A 4-5 is a random target within range... and a 6 is you took a swipe at the target of the DM's choice.   :evil:

That keeps the party from going bugcrap for keeps... but certainly adds an element of "whoa, fuck."

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 31, 2011, 04:30:36 PM
That's interesting, Cain.  Even if nobody went nuts, it would be a distraction...Maybe a DC14 (? based on CHA, I think) will save.  Failure indicates the sickened condition, success indicates the distracted condition if the PC is within, say, 60 feet of the Uber Reaver.  A critical failure indicates the character is confused, as per the D&D spell.

That sounds fair.  If its already going to be difficult, anything more would probably make it unwinnable, as you say.  It's just enough to keep it interesting and everyone on their toes, without making it so hard they'll cry tears of shame.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on January 31, 2011, 04:33:59 PM
I was mainly thinking if a Reaver had psychic powers, would it accidentally transmit images and thoughts into the minds of the party and any other people in the surrounding area?  So in addition to the physical threat represented by creatures having been driven insane by psychic ability research, there would also be a mental/sanity threat - I'm not sure exactly how that could be made to work in the game, but perhaps some variety on will saves or sanity levels would be the way to go?  Anyway, that would mean in addition to having to worry about genetic monstrosities running amok, they'd have to worry about their own mental integrity, as well as that of anyone else they met.  And in that there is plenty of scope for Lovecraftian style tropes about madness, as well as perhaps adding a race-against time element and adding something of a more horror feel to the entire scenario.

Nice...  I'd go with a wisdom save rather than charisma, but, DM's call on that one.  Toss in a "fail save by 10 or more and roll a D6 before each attack... and if you roll a 1-3 on that D6, you attack your intended target.  A 4-5 is a random target within range... and a 6 is you took a swipe at the target of the DM's choice.   :evil:

That keeps the party from going bugcrap for keeps... but certainly adds an element of "whoa, fuck."

The will save is always the wisdom score.  The Reaver's CHA drives the DC of the will save (10+1/2HD+Cha bonus), as Wisdom is your perception, and Charisma is how well you influence others.  And the confusion effect does the "attack some random joe" thing already, with a greater chance of the victim just standing upright and babbling during a firefight.  He will also attack the first creature that attacks him (any attack option, including grapple).  Also, each failed save means 1d2 wisdom damage, and if the PC's wisdom reaches zero, POW!  He's a Reaver, at least in mind.

Edit:  Muhaha.  There's no restore spell in space.