News:

"We don't make the apocalypse, we make the apocalypse better."

Main Menu

There was only ONE Star Trek.

Started by BadBeast, February 05, 2011, 02:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadBeast

And also, I remember reading somewhere that lightspeed isn't even a constant, as it travels at different speeds, through
different mediums. So what we are using for light years, may actually only be light moments. And  because of the the infinitely ineffable dimensions of the Uni/Multi verse, any system we attempt to quantify Time or Distance with on such a scale is meaningless. And distracting. And far too confusing to try and apply to our little pinpoint of existence. But the Wormhole/Stargate analogy works for Star Trek, Farscape Babylon 5 etc, and I think it's the way to go.
As long as Wesley Crusher isn't involved at all, it should all work out in the end.   
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: BadBeast on February 05, 2011, 02:32:35 AM
And also, I remember reading somewhere that lightspeed isn't even a constant, as it travels at different speeds, through
different mediums. So what we are using for light years, may actually only be light moments. And  because of the the infinitely ineffable dimensions of the Uni/Multi verse, any system we attempt to quantify Time or Distance with on such a scale is meaningless. And distracting. And far too confusing to try and apply to our little pinpoint of existence. But the Wormhole/Stargate analogy works for Star Trek, Farscape Babylon 5 etc, and I think it's the way to go.
As long as Wesley Crusher isn't involved at all, it should all work out in the end.  

I was so happy when he went to Starfleet Academy. Not for him. Just so he was off the Enterprise. I was even happier when his creepy friend the Traveller took him to his sex dungeon a higher plane of existence forever in that episode when the Cardassians were going to kill all those Native American colonists.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

BadBeast

Quote from: Doktor Blight on February 05, 2011, 02:36:33 AM
different mediums. So what we are using for light years, may actually only be light moments. And  because of the the infinitely ineffable dimensions of the Uni/Multi verse, any system we attempt to quantify Time or Distance with on such a scale is meaningless. And distracting. And far too confusing to try and apply to our little pinpoint of existence. But the Wormhole/Stargate analogy works for Star Trek, Farscape Babylon 5 etc, and I think it's the way to go.

I was so happy when he went to Starfleet Academy. Not for him. Just so he was off the Enterprise. I was even happier when his creepy friend the Traveller took him to his sex dungeon a higher plane of existence forever in that episode when the Cardassians were going to kill all those Native American colonists.
Yeah, I know the one. Even Beverly was like "Oh well, off you go Wesley". Worf almost smiled. But the constant urge pull his head off, and shit down his neckstump must have been almost impossible to control. Even Q thought he was a tosser. And I could tell really Jean-Luc wanted to chuck him out of the nearest airlock, but had to pretend to like him, or he couldn't have slobbered all over Beverly like he did.

And I don't think the Klingons wanted to kill the Native Americans at all, but they needed to know exactly where the Federation drew the line on this one. And they fanny about with that Prime Directive so much, how is a Klingon supposed to have any respect for them?
I think "The Traveller" was really Q, doing a favour for Jean Luc, and getting rid of the toadying little fuck once and for all. And to be honest, Beverly looked relieved when he went. Even Data perked up,  Riker
got even more smugged up behind his bog brush beard, because he had his beloved Captain back to himself again.  "Make it so, #1"
"Fap, to the Cap,  "Ooh yes Captain"  "I am Locutus, of Borg, you will be assimilated"  Resistanc. . . ."
"Is futile, we know, take me first, Captain, take me, you bad, bad Borg you"
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Telarus

different mediums. So what we are using for light years, may actually only be light moments. And  because of the the infinitely ineffable dimensions of the Uni/Multi verse, any system we attempt to quantify Time or Distance with on such a scale is meaningless. And distracting. And far too confusing to try and apply to our little pinpoint of existence. But the Wormhole/Stargate analogy works for Star Trek, Farscape Babylon 5 etc, and I think it's the way to go.

HAHAHAHA. I just watched that last night.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: BadBeast on February 05, 2011, 03:16:21 AM

Yeah, I know the one. Even Beverly was like "Oh well, off you go Wesley". Worf almost smiled. But the constant urge pull his head off, and shit down his neckstump must have been almost impossible to control. Even Q thought he was a tosser. And I could tell really Jean-Luc wanted to chuck him out of the nearest airlock, but had to pretend to like him, or he couldn't have slobbered all over Beverly like he did.

And I don't think the Klingons wanted to kill the Native Americans at all, but they needed to know exactly where the Federation drew the line on this one. And they fanny about with that Prime Directive so much, how is a Klingon supposed to have any respect for them?
I think "The Traveller" was really Q, doing a favour for Jean Luc, and getting rid of the toadying little fuck once and for all. And to be honest, Beverly looked relieved when he went. Even Data perked up,  Riker
got even more smugged up behind his bog brush beard, because he had his beloved Captain back to himself again.  "Make it so, #1"
"Fap, to the Cap,  "Ooh yes Captain"  "I am Locutus, of Borg, you will be assimilated"  Resistanc. . . ."
"Is futile, we know, take me first, Captain, take me, you bad, bad Borg you"

Cardassians, not Klingons. Actually, I think that may be one of the first intros of the Cardassians.  Wait no, I'm wrong. They were introduced when O'Brien's old Capt. went crazy, and they had an Irish drinking song together.

However, I agree with the whole rest of this post.

Also bear in mind I was probably 14 when that episode first aired and I was like, "Thank fucking Jesus Roddenberry"

Quote from: Telarus on February 05, 2011, 03:26:41 AM

HAHAHAHA. I just watched that last night.

What a delightful bit of synchronicity  :lulz:

I'm actually in the process of rewatching the whole series (TNG) with Villager (she never saw it first time around). We just saw the two parter with the Klingon Civil War.

Telarus

I'm doing the same with my girl's 11 yr old son. Damn, we burned through the first 6 seasons quick.

I think that the Traveler was Q, as well.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

BadBeast

Yeah,  Cardassians!  I kept thinking Klingon, because Worf was "handling" the  Security. I always liked the Cardassians. Much more than the Beijorans. If it wasn't for the fact Beijor is the key to the Wormhole, they'd still be grubbing in the dirt, getting analy probed by Ferengi sex tourists, like the pre-industrial subsistance farming, homespun hippys they are. When Nurse Ratchet turned up as Vedic Wyn was the last straw. I'm glad Gul Ducat came back as her Beijoran loverboy, and fed her to the Pah Wraiths!  Stanky old bitch.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Telarus on February 05, 2011, 03:50:34 AM
I'm doing the same with my girl's 11 yr old son. Damn, we burned through the first 6 seasons quick.

I think that the Traveler was Q, as well.

It's awesome watching it the next time through and knowing what comes next. That way you can point out things like, "ok you see that Romulan chick silhouette? Pay attention to that voice. And also.... no, I'll remind you of that episode when you see her (Denise Crosby)" Villager has had the misfortune of mainly watching horror films growing up where I was more of a Sci-Fi dork. I am regularly horrified by what she has not seen. TNG being a very glaring one.

Quote from: BadBeast on February 05, 2011, 04:03:51 AM
Yeah,  Cardassians!  I kept thinking Klingon, because Worf was "handling" the  Security. I always liked the Cardassians. Much more than the Beijorans. If it wasn't for the fact Beijor is the key to the Wormhole, they'd still be grubbing in the dirt, getting analy probed by Ferengi sex tourists, like the pre-industrial subsistance farming, homespun hippys they are. When Nurse Ratchet turned up as Vedic Wyn was the last straw. I'm glad Gul Ducat came back as her Beijoran loverboy, and fed her to the Pah Wraiths!  Stanky old bitch.

Spoonheads were pretty interesting, and definitely more than Bajorans. Klingons are always cooler though, whether they are the friends of the Federation or not. I can see where the confusion came in. Weird foreheads, intriguing culture. :)

Nephew Twiddleton

Also, Traveller =/= Q

Traveller was this weird creepy guy who was always smiling. And it was this bizarre blissful smile.
Q was a badass, a hardass, and a delightfully annoyingass who always pushed humanity to be better and held them to be accountable for their past.

Traveller is that weird Krishna/Jesus guy you see on public transportation with the weird smile.
Q is George Carlin.

BadBeast

I like the smouldering sexual tension between Kira, and Gul Dukat. She so would! He knows it, she knows it, everyone knows it. Nobody ever mentions it. Can't have the fearless resistance fighter falling for the Camp Commandant. And he milks it whenever he can. Worse than the Doctor and the Chief, those two!
And yeah, DJO, Fucking hilarious. Who said Canadians weren't funny?

"I'm a big chocolate slut"  :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

ATTN, LESSER MORTALS:  Star Trek TNG wasn't Star Trek.  It was Days of Our Lives in space.  REAL Star Trek was Gunsmoke in space.  Also, Shatner.

That is all.  You may now return to your cheap knock-off, badly written crap about a warship with a 12 year old at the helm.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 05, 2011, 04:39:19 AM
ATTN, LESSER MORTALS:  Star Trek TNG wasn't Star Trek.  It was Days of Our Lives in space.  REAL Star Trek was Gunsmoke in space.  Also, Shatner.

That is all.  You may now return to your cheap knock-off, badly written crap about a warship with a 12 year old at the helm.

ATTN. OLD DUDE: TNG IS STAR TREK. Hate to burst your bubble but Stewart is way more awesome than Shitner. Sorry, but this is a universal constant. Shitner will always be < Stewart.

Really if you want to see bad acting, see William Shatner. All due respect, but it's like holding a candle to a nuke. we all hate Frenchman, and we hate Englishmen pretending to be Frenchmen even more, but goddamn, Jean-Luc Picard is more awesome than all of PD.com hands down.

Let the jihad begin.

Requia ☣

I thought DS9 was the days of our lives in space one?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 05, 2011, 04:49:26 AM
I thought DS9 was the days of our lives in space one?

DS9 sucked until they got Worf.

Voyager sucked until they got rid of Kes. Then they were ok, then they got 7, and the nerds who never got laid rejoiced.

Enterprise, well, that had promise.... but just didn't happen.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on February 05, 2011, 04:47:44 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 05, 2011, 04:39:19 AM

ATTN. OLD DUDE: TNG IS STAR TREK. Hate to burst your bubble but Stewart is way more awesome than Shitner. Sorry, but this is a universal constant. Shitner will always be < Stewart.

Really if you want to see bad acting, see William Shatner. All due respect, but it's like holding a candle to a nuke. we all hate Frenchman, and we hate Englishmen pretending to be Frenchmen even more, but goddamn, Jean-Luc Picard is more awesome than all of PD.com hands down.

Let the jihad begin.

The fact that an Irishman is voicing this opinion is proof that it isn't correct.

That is all.

TGRR,
Knows that space is full of Scotsmen, they left the Irish to drunkenly punch themselves to death back on Earth.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.