News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Magic: The Gathering

Started by Phox, February 06, 2011, 11:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phox

Figured this would be a better place to continue this discussion than where it originally was.
Quote from: Canis latrans eques on February 06, 2011, 11:18:10 PM
I've had friends concede the game with in 10 turns of me just fucking with their game plan. I was a master of psychological dueling.
"I pacify your creature."
"I sac it and kill your creature and/or you lose life"

My deck was best utilized in games that featured more than two players, because it was creature heavy and generally required a few turns to get set up, but it was a life building/sapping deck, with lots of samurai thrown in for good measure. 

However, I was always pretty good at using the strengths of other people's decks to my advantage. Whether they were opponents or teammates, I could generally manipulate them into buying me enough time to get a basic set up going.

For one on one, I had a quicky black undead deck, and a quicky white angel deck that were generally useful against weak players, but required lucky hands from relatively early on in order to win against the better players.

Elder Iptuous

i still see the cards for sale at stores like wally world, is it still played a good bit?
i still fondly remember when the game came out and my buddy and i went and got our first starter decks and were figuring it out....
good times...

how much are the old heavy hitters selling for these days?  like a lotus,  moxys, timetwister, and the like...

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Iptuous on February 06, 2011, 11:51:21 PM
i still see the cards for sale at stores like wally world, is it still played a good bit?
i still fondly remember when the game came out and my buddy and i went and got our first starter decks and were figuring it out....
good times...

how much are the old heavy hitters selling for these days?  like a lotus,  moxys, timetwister, and the like...

Quite a bit. There are tournaments and everything still going on.

Elder Iptuous

sweet. i'll have to break out my old cards and play again some time!
they're probably up to 20th standard edition by now, huh?

The Good Reverend Roger

Turn 1:
Play and tap Black lotus, generate 1 black mana.
Use that to cast dark ritual, generate 3 black mana
Use one of those to cast another dark ritual, total 5 floating black mana.
Use those 5 to cast Demonic Hordes.

Congratulations, you've just lost the game on turn 1.

TGRR,
Genius at this shit.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Phox

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 07, 2011, 12:53:57 AM
Turn 1:

TGRR,
Genius at this shit.

You suck, Roger.  :lulz:

Elder Iptuous

if only you could have a seven card deck....

navkat

TGRR highlights why it's so important to have a quick-acting deck. I, unfortunately, can never seem to cull them down to 60 cards.

The crack about Blue/black deck in the "other" Magic thread was a jab at myself, BTW.

Phox

Quote from: navkat on February 07, 2011, 02:07:55 AM
The crack about Blue/black deck in the "other" Magic thread was a jab at myself, BTW.
I figured.  :wink:

Don Coyote

TGRR highlights why it's so important to have a quick-acting deck. I, unfortunately, can never seem to cull them down to 60 cards.

I never understood that.

The Good Reverend Roger

If it isn't part of the engine, it isn't part of the deck.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Phox on February 07, 2011, 01:03:08 AM
Turn 1:

TGRR,
Genius at this shit.

Anyone can WIN in one turn.  It takes a GENIUS to LOSE before the other player even gets to play.

Phox

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 07, 2011, 02:48:27 AM
Quote from: Doktor Phox on February 07, 2011, 01:03:08 AM
Turn 1:

TGRR,
Genius at this shit.

Anyone can WIN in one turn.  It takes a GENIUS to LOSE before the other player even gets to play.
Good point.  :lulz:

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 07, 2011, 02:47:48 AM

If it isn't part of the engine, it isn't part of the deck.
TROOF

navkat

Totally.

My problem is that I have all these cards that fit the strategy that I keep forgetting that it's a far better tool having the power of probability on your side than to dilute that by adding possibilities.