Proud member of the Vin Diesel Friendship Brigade

Main Menu

Magic: The Gathering

Started by Phox, February 06, 2011, 11:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: navkat on February 07, 2011, 03:23:02 AM
Totally.

My problem is that I have all these cards that fit the strategy that I keep forgetting that it's a far better tool having the power of probability on your side than to dilute that by adding possibilities.

Not strategy.

Engine.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

navkat

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 07, 2011, 03:29:39 AM
Quote from: navkat on February 07, 2011, 03:23:02 AM
Totally.

My problem is that I have all these cards that fit the strategy that I keep forgetting that it's a far better tool having the power of probability on your side than to dilute that by adding possibilities.

Not strategy.

Engine.

This single post is going to make me spend the rest of the night reading all my cards and rebuilding my deck based the concept of creating an "engine."

"An engine that generates what?" the red haired lady in my head, asks.
"Kill your darlings," the old saying goes.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I have several decks some of which use engines, others are less structured...

I have the "Ratatosk" deck which can generate infinite squirrels... then I found out the combo I was using is technically illegal since "infinite" anything is not allowed :( Even without it though, the Squirrel Mob side of the deck is still pretty nasty by the fifth turn.

I also have the "Dumbo" deck which utliizes "Wonder" and "Brawn" When Brawn is in your graveyard, all creatures have trample, when Wonder is in your graveyard all creatures have flying. All creatures are elephants... things go bad around turn 5.

My "Nom Nom Nom" deck kills in 5 turns pretty regularly. Throw out a bunch of cheap goblins and a Boggart Shenanigans then on turn five drop a Voracious Dragon. The dragon devours all the goblins, does direct damage equal to twice the number of goblins devoured, gets a +1/1 for each goblin devoured and Boggart Shenanigans deals one damage for each goblin that goes to the graveyard. I generally have at least one if not two Mudbutton Torchrunners out by then... they deal 3 damage to target player when they go to the graveyard.

Wow... thats a pretty nerdy post...
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Luna

I haven't played in forever.

My brightest moment was getting my head handed to me while playing with a green/white deck.  Was down to about 4 life, no flying blockers other than one Scryb Sprite, a couple land critters.  My opponent was the nauseatingly cheerful player of a Shivan Dragon, which had been happily chewing my ass for the last round or two.

"Attack with Shivan Dragon."

"Righteousness.  My Scryb Sprites just ate your dragon."

:aaa:

She didn't even finish the game.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cramulus

I used to play magic. I think I had a black/red deck? I remember demonic hordes being my favorite card but don't remember much else about my strategy.

I just can't stand collectible games. You build something cool, and then next month they introduce something that trumps it. I never ended up with anything I was satisfied with, the game's power creep just kept moving and forcing you to BUY BUY BUY.

Luna

Quote from: Cramulus on February 07, 2011, 09:15:29 PM
I used to play magic. I think I had a black/red deck? I remember demonic hordes being my favorite card but don't remember much else about my strategy.

I just can't stand collectible games. You build something cool, and then next month they introduce something that trumps it. I never ended up with anything I was satisfied with, the game's power creep just kept moving and forcing you to BUY BUY BUY.

Yep.  I had the advantage of an employee discount buying the bloody things, and I still couldn't keep up.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Telarus

That's what lost me as well. I think I was an active player though a couple of releases after Ice Age, and then I decided that RPG books were a less expensive hobby.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Good Reverend Roger

When I quit, I was still winning games with 10 year old cards.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 07, 2011, 09:22:47 PM

THIS

I occasionally buy a foil pack or so... but mostly I play with the cards I have...

Luna

Quote from: Ratatosk on February 07, 2011, 09:35:06 PM

THIS

I occasionally buy a foil pack or so... but mostly I play with the cards I have...

Sold of most of my cards to fund a vacation.  Haven't really missed 'em.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on February 07, 2011, 09:35:37 PM

THIS

Sold all but the "S1 Deck" (Coyote will get the reference), "Green Machine", and "Christmas Death".

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 07, 2011, 09:38:03 PM

THIS

Sold all but the "S1 Deck" (Coyote will get the reference), "Green Machine", and "Christmas Death".

Somewhere I think I still have me "Just Call Me Angel" deck, if I can rescue it from the house.  Black/White deck, based on Serra and Fallen Angels.  It jammed up once in awhile, but when it worked, it rained down terror.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on February 07, 2011, 09:40:37 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 07, 2011, 09:38:03 PM

THIS

Somewhere I think I still have me "Just Call Me Angel" deck, if I can rescue it from the house.  Black/White deck, based on Serra and Fallen Angels.  It jammed up once in awhile, but when it worked, it rained down terror.

Both good cards, if you can get the manna out fast enough.

Green Machine can legally play 20 land cards in 5 turns.  If I can make it to turn 3, you're up to your arse in flying beast tokens.

S1 shuts you down.  No untap phase, one spell per player per turn, yours always get countered.  I use this when I want people to quit playing forever.

Christmas Death is a red/green land destruction deck.  I always loose in multiple player games, because everyone pounds on me right quick.

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 07, 2011, 09:43:58 PM

Both good cards, if you can get the manna out fast enough.

Yeah, it got constipated every now and then.  A draw with just one land in it was usually a sign that I was going down in flames, fast.

QuoteGreen Machine can legally play 20 land cards in 5 turns.  If I can make it to turn 3, you're up to your arse in flying beast tokens.

S1 shuts you down.  No untap phase, one spell per player per turn, yours always get countered.  I use this when I want people to quit playing forever.

Christmas Death is a red/green land destruction deck.  I always loose in multiple player games, because everyone pounds on me right quick.

Evil.  I like.   :evil: