News:

Oceana has always been at war with Iraq

Main Menu

Magic: The Gathering

Started by Phox, February 06, 2011, 11:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuddlefish

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 07, 2011, 02:47:48 AM
If it isn't part of the engine, it isn't part of the deck.

This. There's no space for something that is or does something "cool," if that's all it's got going for it ("I just multiplied all my elf creatures! I control 1023 elves! What's that? Volcanic Fallout? Oh, never mind"). Even then, there's not a lot of space for the stuff that works, so choosing what works BEST is also very important (and, of course, what "works" and what "works best" is relative to what you choose for your win condition, which will not work, work, or work best, based on how good your reading comprehension level is).

And, Rog, anyone can pull that off using old banned and restricted cards. I have a mono-red deck that plays like a white/blue deck. However, it was Skullclamp that drove the engine for me. Wins (almost) every time, although, not technically tourney legal.

Quote from: Cramulus on February 07, 2011, 09:15:29 PM
I just can't stand collectible games. You build something cool, and then next month they introduce something that trumps it. I never ended up with anything I was satisfied with, the game's power creep just kept moving and forcing you to BUY BUY BUY.

I'm with you on this. But not. I agree that it can be bullshit to try to "stay current" with a CCG, seeing how new game term/mechanics are getting seemingly more and more powerful, so you feel that you'd better pony up some cash so you can keep winning.

On the other hand, if you just wait a while (I only started playing MTG about 2 years ago) you'll have more to browse and pick from, allowing you to build a deck from the best cards for your strategy from the past ten years (or more). I hand picked my decks and spent about 10-20 bucks on each one (I have 2) and I compete with (and sometimes utterly embarrass) players who have clearly spent too much money on the game, and equate cash investment to winning (these are my favorite victories. My 20$ deck crushing someone's 400$ deck).

Yes, spending money will get you the "best" cards of the current set, but those aren't necessarily the "best cards evar." And, really, the "best card" is usually the "best grouping of cards for my particular win condition," which can vary greatly from player to player.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Don Coyote

Quote from: Ratatosk on February 07, 2011, 09:41:35 PM
Serra Angel == :fap:

She's a card I always love seeing new artwork for. :fap: :fap:

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 07, 2011, 09:43:58 PM
S1 shuts you down.  No untap phase, one spell per player per turn, yours always get countered.  I use this when I want people to quit playing forever.

Ya, any time I got it into my head to play any kind of obvious resource control I got banned from playing that COLOR by my friends. :lulz:
Almost reduced a friend to tears when everything she did was rendered pointless AND hurt her.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cuddlefish on February 07, 2011, 11:04:36 PM
Yes, spending money will get you the "best" cards of the current set, but those aren't necessarily the "best cards evar." And, really, the "best card" is usually the "best grouping of cards for my particular win condition," which can vary greatly from player to player.

EMPHASISED FOR TRUTH!

Richter

Quote from: Canis latrans eques on February 07, 2011, 11:21:51 PM

EMPHASISED FOR TRUTH!

YES.  That was how I built most of my really good decks.  Most of them were combos off of cards that most other players considered the throwaways of the set, with a prefference for black/green.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

The Good Reverend Roger

And, Rog, anyone can pull that off using old banned and restricted cards.

This is why Magic sucks ass.  Seriously.  Even saying "That card is banned" will get a motherfucker slapped at any table in Tucson.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Richter on February 07, 2011, 11:28:12 PM
Quote from: Canis latrans eques on February 07, 2011, 11:21:51 PM

EMPHASISED FOR TRUTH!

YES.  That was how I built most of my really good decks.  Most of them were combos off of cards that most other players considered the throwaways of the set, with a prefference for black/green.

"Chaoslace" is a CRUSHER against White decks.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

navkat

M favorite angel card:

Relatively low CMC for one hell of an ability.

As far as "engines" go, I suppose that's sort of what I've been trying to do all along...though I never heard the term "engine" until now. I played a bit in the 90s and then stopped for a long time. I just picked it back up last year and have been slowly getting others re-addicted so I have people to play with.

I have a card called "Goblin Assault" I use to piss people off:

Just keeps popping out 1/1 goblins who have no choice but to hurl themselves at someone each turn. Get one o those out early enough and it can e someone's undoing. Works great with enchantments and equipment that give +1/+1 for each goblin creature you control.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 07, 2011, 11:31:05 PM

This is why Magic sucks ass.  Seriously.  Even saying "That card is banned" will get a motherfucker slapped at any table in Tucson.

Don't get me wrong, I used banned cards in one of my decks (Skullclamp). All I'm saying is that you shouldn't be playing a "Vintage" deck against someones "Standard" deck. It's not fair.

Luna

Quote from: navkat on February 07, 2011, 11:34:35 PM
M favorite angel card:

Relatively low CMC for one hell of an ability.

Dang, if I still played, I'd be tracking her down for my angels deck.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Richter

I played a black / white denial deck that could have used 3 or 4 of those.  (Yes, even though it's a legend.  Couple reasons depending on teh version of the Legends rule in use)
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cuddlefish on February 07, 2011, 11:35:47 PM

Don't get me wrong, I used banned cards in one of my decks (Skullclamp). All I'm saying is that you shouldn't be playing a "Vintage" deck against someones "Standard" deck. It's not fair.

"Fair"?  What is this "fair" you speak of?   :lulz:

There's no fucking crying at the game table.

TGRR,
Played for random ante, bitches.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 08, 2011, 12:06:11 AM

TGRR,

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Right, right. Let's replace the word "fair" in my post to "nice."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cuddlefish on February 08, 2011, 12:10:10 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 08, 2011, 12:06:11 AM

TGRR,

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Right, right. Let's replace the word "fair" in my post to "nice."

I'm told I'm a tad too competitive at games, from MtG to D&D (yes, that's a Goddamn competitive game). 

I don't see it.

Cuddlefish

The Wizard

Quote from: TGRRD&D (yes, that's a Goddamn competitive game). 

Ever played Paranoia?
Insanity we trust.