News:

PD.com: Better than a xylophone made out of live kittens that you play with a tazer.

Main Menu

"Save the War"

Started by Cuddlefish, February 07, 2011, 11:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuddlefish

Works good as a flyer on it's own. What can we add?
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Icey

It needs a picture. It's a tough one though, to make it all surreal and tasty, without going political and whatnot.

BadBeast

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Elder Iptuous

you could use a "World Warefare Fund" logo in the corner?

(like the world wildlife fund, if its not really obvious by my little mash)

ETA: the tank is a copyright image from a googlesearch, and is just used as an example, if that kinda stuff is of concern...

President Television

Couple it with a picture of a particularly sad-looking nuclear warhead?
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

BadBeast

Quote from: Unqualified on February 12, 2011, 04:30:18 AM
Couple it with a picture of a particularly sad-looking nuclear warhead?
Or a maimed Soldier, being helped off the Battlefield by his marginally less maimed Buddy. In the background, an enemy Gunner is carefully taking aim.
"Save the War, while there is still a War to save!"
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Elder Iptuous

that would lend sympathy to the individual soldiers, though. which doesn't seem like the point.
you want to appear to be attempting to evoke sympathy for the war itself as endangered...

Cuddlefish

Y'know, even with just text, this could be really funny to put outside/around Army recruitment centers/booths. I missed a good opportunity last week, they had the Nat'l Guard set up a booth at my school. I was just thinking how funny it would have been to have a "save the war" slogan hanging right behind it. Oh, well. next time.

Maybe some false-facts to go with it? "If we pull our soldiers out, the terrorists have won!" "Ending the war will put millions of americans out of work" and so on. I don't have my computer (computer is dead, long live computer) so if anyone feels like fudging around with the idea, feel free, but unfortunately, I don't currently have the resources to get to it right now  :sad:

BadBeast

Oops, wrong War.  :oops:

Cuddlefish

Also: "The pulling out of our troops will be an admission of wrong-doing/failure, and we all know that the fight for democracy and capitalism is the Good Fight"

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cuddlefish on February 12, 2011, 05:48:54 PM
Also: "The pulling out of our troops will be an admission of wrong-doing/failure, and we all know that the fight for democracy and capitalism is the Good Fight"

Kinda long, needs to stick in the mind more. Maybe something like "Pulling out troops is an admission of failure." and then "The fight for democracy and capitalism is the Good Fight."

Could also twist around something I came up with a couple of years ago, and say something like "Forcing choice on those who didn't choose it." The point being that invading a country on the pretext of liberating it and changing it to a democracy is hypocritical.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Also you could use some of those old Uncle Sam posters for this.

Elder Iptuous

when i saw the catchphrase at the beginning, obviously being a riff off of, save the whales/rainforrest/spotted owl/fuzzy creature with big eyes/etc..... it seemed good because it was simple, humorous, and the cognitive dissonance of jamming the concept of 'war' into the slot generally occupied by fuzzy cuteness forces the reader to think 'why the fuck would i want to save that?!'

the suggestions here seem too frontal...
why not leave the concept of 'war' as an floating ideal not associated with any current politicized situation?

ETA: if you mention 'pulling the troops out', etc. the reader immediately reaches into his bag of talking points and defends his mind.  with the simple 'save the war' message, there's nothing to fight, really.  that's why i liked it.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Iptuous on February 12, 2011, 06:41:13 PM
when i saw the catchphrase at the beginning, obviously being a riff off of, save the whales/rainforrest/spotted owl/fuzzy creature with big eyes/etc..... it seemed good because it was simple, humorous, and the cognitive dissonance of jamming the concept of 'war' into the slot generally occupied by fuzzy cuteness forces the reader to think 'why the fuck would i want to save that?!'

the suggestions here seem too frontal...
why not leave the concept of 'war' as an floating ideal not associated with any current politicized situation?

ETA: if you mention 'pulling the troops out', etc. the reader immediately reaches into his bag of talking points and defends his mind.  with the simple 'save the war' message, there's nothing to fight, really.  that's why i liked it.

That's a good point. Maybe graphically, then, some sort of weaponry, like the sad nuke mentioned earlier. I'm not sure if this would be considered politicized, but maybe another subversion of a phrase could be "We need to reduce undeployment"

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.