News:

PD.com - you don't even believe in nihilism anymore

Main Menu

Don't immanentize the eschaton!

Started by Cain, February 08, 2011, 04:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Eric VoegelinThe problem of an eidos in history, hence, arises only when a Christian transcendental fulfillment becomes immanentized. Such an immanentist hypostasis of the eschaton, however, is a theoretical fallacy.

Thought this was quite interesting - it seems the modern usage of the immanentize the eschaton or variations thereof derives from the works of a political scientist and philosopher Eric Voegelin.  His work was cited by William F Buckley and the Young Americans for Freedom, who turned "don't immanentize the eschaton" into a political slogan and used it to criticize fascism, communism and transhumanism as modern varients on gnosticism ("political religions").

hooplala

Quote from: Cain on February 08, 2011, 04:25:02 PM
Quote from: Eric VoegelinThe problem of an eidos in history, hence, arises only when a Christian transcendental fulfillment becomes immanentized. Such an immanentist hypostasis of the eschaton, however, is a theoretical fallacy.

Thought this was quite interesting - it seems the modern usage of the immanentize the eschaton or variations thereof derives from the works of a political scientist and philosopher Eric Voegelin.  His work was cited by William F Buckley and the Young Americans for Freedom, who turned "don't immanentize the eschaton" into a political slogan and used it to criticize fascism, communism and transhumanism as modern varients on gnosticism ("political religions").

Ah, so that was a timely reference that is now largely lost on our generation?  I had no idea.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

Looks to be.  I knew the Christian connotations of it, as I would expect so do most people here, but the more recent political usage is quite an interesting one.

LMNO

The first I heard of it (of course) was RAW and I3! -- I wonder if he was aware of it's newer meaning.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on February 08, 2011, 05:12:03 PM
The first I heard of it (of course) was RAW and I3! -- I wonder if he was aware of it's newer meaning.

s'Where he got it from IIRC. The Birchers and other crazies were using it when they wrote letters to the editor at Playboy. RAW and Shea were the editors at Playboy. Most of I3 is based on conspiracy/conservative freakout letters to Playboy magazine.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

I thought that may be the case as well.  RAW and Shea were certainly more than aware of Ayn Rand's cult (the amazing Telemachus Sneezed parody), so chances were they knew what the loons at National Review were spouting as well.

hooplala

Quote from: Cain on February 09, 2011, 04:06:05 PM
I thought that may be the case as well.  RAW and Shea were certainly more than aware of Ayn Rand's cult (the amazing Telemachus Sneezed parody), so chances were they knew what the loons at National Review were spouting as well.

I think in one of the other Cosmic Trigger books RAW says he shared a sitting with Rand, and was promptly shown the door when he had the nerve to question her ideas.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

That last part certainly rings true.  And Kerry Thornley briefly flirted with Objectivism in the late 50s, as I recall.  They probably swapped stories about the Randians over a few beers and some tabs of LSD...which would explain quite a lot of the plot of Illuminatus!

Cramulus

Telarus

you should see the rest of that photoset. I really wish I hadn't lost that link.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cramulus

LMNO

That looks suspiciously like the beginning of a Suicide Girls photoshoot, so there might be much more...

LMNO

Update: After some brief Google-fu, her name is Crystal Thierry, aka "Page 73 Girl".

I'll let the rest of you in NSFW-allowed environments do the rest of the digging.

Telarus

My google-fu is great, and I tracked down my origional source in some LiveJournal Discordspag group I started:

.....alfedenzo wrote.....

I've managed to find a version via the Way Back machine: Only use the Eschatron 9000 if you're really, really serious about destroying the world.

This is how the world will end: not with a bang, but with fire, wind, water, meat, cute girls shooting lasers from her eyes, nukes, horses, and the FSM.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!