News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

Tucker's Kobolds and Pathfinder

Started by Requia ☣, February 09, 2011, 12:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

I'll be starting high level campaign Saturday (hopefully).  I'm looking at doing a Tucker's Kobolds style mission for the opening.  One of the things from that I want to have them do is shooting crossbows through murder holes.

The catch here is that Pathfinder tends to lend itself to fairly high AC values, and most of the low level monsters have very low attack bonuses, (A kobold for example has a +3 for ranged attacks).  So the question is, how do I get low level monsters to actually hit the PCs on something other than a natural 20?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Sister Fracture

Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North End™

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 09, 2011, 12:02:12 AM
I'll be starting high level campaign Saturday (hopefully). 

Boing.  Bad move.  But anyway...

What worked in 1st ed doesn't work now.

Don't have them engage in melee.  Have them trigger command-detonated traps, nets, etc.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 09, 2011, 12:08:59 AM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 09, 2011, 12:02:12 AM
I'll be starting high level campaign Saturday (hopefully). 

Boing.  Bad move.  But anyway...

What worked in 1st ed doesn't work now.

Don't have them engage in melee.  Have them trigger command-detonated traps, nets, etc.

Google IED training.

Luna

That.

If you're married to the idea of crossbows through murder holes, let the little bastards rig up a series of crossbows, fired in batches from a couple safe vantage points.  

Here's a cheery thought, guaranteed to warm the hearts of your party.  That sheen on the floor?  When the flint arrowheads start sparking off the floor and walls, the oil ignites...
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Telarus

I agree. Turn it into some crazy kobold mechanism and give it an attack bonus appropriate for the encounter.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Requia ☣

I have, if anybody is interested, decided to combine the being shot at through murder holes bit with the bit where the wererats release something nasty from a cage (haven't decided what yet).

They still won't do much, but they'll count more as a bonus than an actual encounter.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Luna

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 09, 2011, 08:12:55 AM
I have, if anybody is interested, decided to combine the being shot at through murder holes bit with the bit where the wererats release something nasty from a cage (haven't decided what yet).

They still won't do much, but they'll count more as a bonus than an actual encounter.

Giant mutant rat.  (Build your own, whatever will make a real challenge for your players, with the added hail of crossbow bolts for spice.)  Play it up, huge, mangy, ugly, drooling critter.  When the party brings it down and searches it (they always search it), they find a collar, with the name "Fluffy" lovingly worked into the leather.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

The only rationalle for kobolds surviving as a species is:

1.  Low ceilings, and

2.  SCIENCE.  Don't think of them as warriors, think of them as combat engineers.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 09, 2011, 03:07:25 PM

1.  Low ceilings, and

2.  SCIENCE.  Don't think of them as warriors, think of them as combat engineers.

There is nothing, NOTHING as entertaining as the look on your plate-mail wearing burly-man realizing that he's gotta strip to his skivvies if he wants to follow the li'l buggers down the hole. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on February 09, 2011, 03:21:33 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 09, 2011, 03:07:25 PM

1.  Low ceilings, and

There is nothing, NOTHING as entertaining as the look on your plate-mail wearing burly-man realizing that he's gotta strip to his skivvies if he wants to follow the li'l buggers down the hole. 

Or the look on the wizard's face as the kobold on the other side of the ventilation fan throws a bag of broken glass into it.

LMNO

So, you should think about Kobolds not as "creatures that attack the PCs", but as "creatures that activate death machines that attack the PCs"?

I would think that while a kobold hitting you with a sword wouldn't do much, a kobold dropping half a ton of active volcano on your head would?

Richter

So instead of a game where everyone lines up in easily flankable rows to havea stand-up fight against squishable hateable little baddies, you're proposing that players get dragged through tiny caverns being maliciously tricked with deadly intent at every corner?

PERFECT.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on February 09, 2011, 03:25:46 PM
So, you should think about Kobolds not as "creatures that attack the PCs", but as "creatures that activate death machines that attack the PCs"?

I would think that while a kobold hitting you with a sword wouldn't do much, a kobold dropping half a ton of active volcano on your head would?

Dragon biting you:  Hurts.

Kobold dropping an avil on you from the top of the tower that's over their lair?  Hurts more.

Also, the boss should be a sorc (dragon bloodline) into dragon disciple.  If he's high enough level to cast 4th level spells, BLACK TENTACLES.  No shit.

Any full out kobold tribe is going to have assloads of sorcs.