News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

Tucker's Kobolds and Pathfinder

Started by Requia ☣, February 09, 2011, 12:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sister Fracture

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 09, 2011, 03:29:31 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD on February 09, 2011, 03:25:46 PM
So, you should think about Kobolds not as "creatures that attack the PCs", but as "creatures that activate death machines that attack the PCs"?

I would think that while a kobold hitting you with a sword wouldn't do much, a kobold dropping half a ton of active volcano on your head would?

Dragon biting you:  Hurts.

Kobold dropping an avil on you from the top of the tower that's over their lair?  Hurts more.

Also, the boss should be a sorc (dragon bloodline) into dragon disciple.  If he's high enough level to cast 4th level spells, BLACK TENTACLES.  No shit.

Any full out kobold tribe is going to have assloads of sorcs.

I miss playing Francis. :cry:
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North End™

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Richter on February 09, 2011, 03:27:23 PM
So instead of a game where everyone lines up in easily flankable rows to havea stand-up fight against squishable hateable little baddies, you're proposing that players get dragged through tiny caverns being maliciously tricked with deadly intent at every corner?

PERFECT.

Grease spell on the stairs FTW.  On first level sorc kobold does 3d6 damage to everyone in the party by using a 1st level spell.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Luna

The side-dish of "we can NOT be getting our asses handed to us by kobolds" is truly delicious.  Note that, if you've done it right the first time, you will never, EVER get away with it again with the same party.  They'll never, ever enter kobold caves again.

(By the way...  Placing a small, labeled bowl for each PC in front of you, filling with M&M's equal to their hit points, and eating said M&Ms as their hit points dwindle?  Awesome, until they try to feed you the bowls.)
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on February 09, 2011, 03:56:18 PM
The side-dish of "we can NOT be getting our asses handed to us by kobolds" is truly delicious.  Note that, if you've done it right the first time, you will never, EVER get away with it again with the same party.  They'll never, ever enter kobold caves again.

(By the way...  Placing a small, labeled bowl for each PC in front of you, filling with M&M's equal to their hit points, and eating said M&Ms as their hit points dwindle?  Awesome, until they try to feed you the bowls.)

I sat in on the game that inspired that gag in KoDT.   :lulz:

TGRR,
Used to work for Kenzer.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 09, 2011, 04:02:29 PM
Quote from: Luna on February 09, 2011, 03:56:18 PM

I sat in on the game that inspired that gag in KoDT.   :lulz:

TGRR,
Used to work for Kenzer.

Heh, don't remember if I picked up the idea from KoDT, it's possible.  I just remember one of my players realizing what was happening.  (It took me adding M&Ms when there was a heal cast.)  The howl of outrage was epic.

Working for Kenzer?  Awesome.  :D

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Requia ☣

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 09, 2011, 03:29:31 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD on February 09, 2011, 03:25:46 PM
So, you should think about Kobolds not as "creatures that attack the PCs", but as "creatures that activate death machines that attack the PCs"?

I would think that while a kobold hitting you with a sword wouldn't do much, a kobold dropping half a ton of active volcano on your head would?

Dragon biting you:  Hurts.

Kobold dropping an avil on you from the top of the tower that's over their lair?  Hurts more.

Also, the boss should be a sorc (dragon bloodline) into dragon disciple.  If he's high enough level to cast 4th level spells, BLACK TENTACLES.  No shit.

Any full out kobold tribe is going to have assloads of sorcs.

The boss will be a sorc (somebody has to set all those magical traps).

But he's not going to fight them.  My goal is to run them through the ringer for a couple hours, then have the Boss offer to give them the hostage (plot hook is that a kid got grabbed when people fought back against a raiding party) if they just leave.

I want to see if I can make the rest of the party will kill the paladin to keep from taking the deal.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Luna

If you've done it right, the entire party will leap at the offer.

Of course, if you've got the party where they should be after a couple hours of torture, the boss might decide to keep the kid AND the party...

Requia ☣

Oh, exploding runes written on a doorway, I have to use that.   :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 09, 2011, 04:49:53 PM

Or on the spines of books on a shelf.

NO PARTY CAN RESIST A BOOKSHELF.

Luna

Magic mouth.

Programmed to utter the trigger word for a trap, when approached by anyone taller than 5' tall.

Followed by peals of kobold laughter.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 09, 2011, 04:54:33 PM

Good odds on tagging the mage with that one, too.  They're usually cautious bastards, and let the rogues and the fighters walk into the good traps.

Requia ☣

That one would be particularly screwed up given that books are highly valuable in the setting I'm making...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 09, 2011, 04:59:21 PM

That one would be particularly screwed up given that books are highly valuable in the setting I'm making...

Detect magic is your friend.  There is no good reason for evocation magic to be on a book.

President Television

Idea: Trap the kobolds' treasure. For example, say one of your PCs successfully kills a kobold and he drops a crossbow. You can tell them that kobold crossbows are specially engineered to add a large bonus to-hit. This would justify them hitting the players with any frequency. But the crossbows are designed to fire in a counter-intuitive way that requires special training, and anyone who pulls the trigger without knowing how to properly use the kobold-engineered mechanism gets a poison needle in the palm of their hand for their troubles.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Luna

Quote from: Unqualified on February 09, 2011, 07:18:41 PM
Idea: Trap the kobolds' treasure. For example, say one of your PCs successfully kills a kobold and he drops a crossbow. You can tell them that kobold crossbows are specially engineered to add a large bonus to-hit. This would justify them hitting the players with any frequency. But the crossbows are designed to fire in a counter-intuitive way that requires special training, and anyone who pulls the trigger without knowing how to properly use the kobold-engineered mechanism gets a poison needle in the palm of their hand for their troubles.

Yeek, no.  Bastard PCs will figure that out in no time, plug up the needle hole, and then have a crossbow with a massive to-hit bonus.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on February 09, 2011, 07:21:39 PM
Quote from: Unqualified on February 09, 2011, 07:18:41 PM

Yeek, no.  Bastard PCs will figure that out in no time, plug up the needle hole, and then have a crossbow with a massive to-hit bonus.

This is the correct answer.  Buffing monsters with items = buffing players with items, because unless it's a TPK, all those goodies go to the players.

Also, the rules do not allow for a higher than +1/+0 bonus for high quality gear.