News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

Tucker's Kobolds and Pathfinder

Started by Requia ☣, February 09, 2011, 12:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

(Side note/Disclaimer, I'm pulling answers out of my hat with little to no knowledge of Pathfinder.  I've just been playing D&D since grade school, and have read enough Pathfinder to survive character creation and a couple of sessions.)
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

President Television

Ok then, there are probably better ways to trap it. Eliminating the bonus but including the needle sounds effective enough, though I suppose it removes incentive to use the kobolds' treasure and trigger the trap in the first place. Maybe kobold crossbows could be worth less and therefore less likely to be used as vendor trash by the players? Or maybe you could scatter magic items about in the same fashion as in any other dungeon, but trap them. Which I suppose probably occurs often enough as it is.

I have very little experience with DnD, as in I've never played in a campaign that got to level 4. Not because of any TPK, but because it just never worked out. So I don't really know what I'm doing.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Luna

Quote from: Unqualified on February 09, 2011, 07:44:16 PM
Ok then, there are probably better ways to trap it. Eliminating the bonus but including the needle sounds effective enough, though I suppose it removes incentive to use the kobolds' treasure and trigger the trap in the first place. Maybe kobold crossbows could be worth less and therefore less likely to be used as vendor trash by the players? Or maybe you could scatter magic items about in the same fashion as in any other dungeon, but trap them. Which I suppose probably occurs often enough as it is.

I have very little experience with DnD, as in I've never played in a campaign that got to level 4. Not because of any TPK, but because it just never worked out. So I don't really know what I'm doing.

My players usually don't deal with vendor trash.  Easy answer, bulky treasure.  If their treasure is a large, fragile urn, and they have to figure how to pack it out, they don't bother with crappy kobold weapons that nobody wants, anyway.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

There's an art to keeping a campaign going.  I feel a rant coming on.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on February 09, 2011, 08:02:15 PM

My players usually don't deal with vendor trash.  Easy answer, bulky treasure.  If their treasure is a large, fragile urn, and they have to figure how to pack it out, they don't bother with crappy kobold weapons that nobody wants, anyway.

Item spell deals with that, or floating disc.

But it's sometimes a good idea to train the wizard into carrying some utility spells.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 09, 2011, 08:11:20 PM

But it's sometimes a good idea to train the wizard into carrying some utility spells.

Yup.  But when your mage loads up on damage-dealing spells instead of balancing 'em with useful spells like that...

And the one time bright boy decided to bring an Item spell... they found a very valuable, reasonably fragile chess set... with halfling sized pieces.  (Ceramic, set with gems.  Yep, the gems got pried out and taken, and they ate the value of the pieces, whining the whole way.)

Also, I can be a bitch about cashing in on non-coin treasures.  Gems, sure, easy, buyers can be found, but artwork...  That can be tough.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on February 09, 2011, 08:16:29 PM

Yup.  But when your mage loads up on damage-dealing spells instead of balancing 'em with useful spells like that...

And the one time bright boy decided to bring an Item spell... they found a very valuable, reasonably fragile chess set... with halfling sized pieces.  (Ceramic, set with gems.  Yep, the gems got pried out and taken, and they ate the value of the pieces, whining the whole way.)

Also, I can be a bitch about cashing in on non-coin treasures.  Gems, sure, easy, buyers can be found, but artwork...  That can be tough.

That's kinda cheap, unless you're doing it to hook them into dealing with a fence.

LMNO

What sort of saving roll is there for applied chemistry?

Like, knowing that Item A (non-magical) will have a volitile effect when it comes into contact with Item B (also non-magical), or even Environment B?

Because that could make for interesting treasure/dungeon interactions.

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 09, 2011, 08:20:28 PM
Quote from: Luna on February 09, 2011, 08:16:29 PM

That's kinda cheap, unless you're doing it to hook them into dealing with a fence.

Yeah, they can usually deal with somebody who's willing to take it on spec...  Jewelry can be sold to the local jeweler, taking into account he'll want to mark it up for resale, for example.  (Some of my players are bright enough to hang on to at least some of their jewelry for portability and bribes.)  And, if they're creative in selling the stuff, I grant bonus exps for RP brilliance.

Requia ☣

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on February 09, 2011, 08:24:54 PM

Like, knowing that Item A (non-magical) will have a volitile effect when it comes into contact with Item B (also non-magical), or even Environment B?

Interesting thought, I suppose it would be an alchemy roll.  And then only if they actually inspected the loot, instead of just grabbing everything that isn't nailed down and checking it later.

I figured out the murder holes.

Hallway with a spiked ceiling, Small bipeds have to crouch, mediums have to crawl.  (there will be a second route, but the ceiling will be rigged to collapse, blocking the path and acting as a crushing trap).

Longspears through the murder holes.  -4 AC for squeezing through a tight space, -4 from melee attacks for being prone (-2 for small chars).  Attackers will be getting +1 from high ground, and +2 from flanking (except the rogue).  For a total of +11 attack.

Also, I need a good +2 or +3 template for use on dire lions that won't interfere with their rake or pounce abilities.  Preferably this should be something that can be chalked up to the kobold sorcs creating abominations of nature.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Sister Fracture

Fiendish (+1) , and give them more racial HD to increase their CR.
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North End™

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sister Fracture on February 09, 2011, 08:48:28 PM

Not really feasible for a whole tribe.

The Good Reverend Roger

Depends on the effect.

If it's a poison, it's a fortitude save, balanced for the group.

If it's asplodey, it's a reflex save, etc.

Richter

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 09, 2011, 08:44:01 PM

Interesting thought, I suppose it would be an alchemy roll.  And then only if they actually inspected the loot, instead of just grabbing everything that isn't nailed down and checking it later.

I figured out the murder holes.

Hallway with a spiked ceiling, Small bipeds have to crouch, mediums have to crawl.  (there will be a second route, but the ceiling will be rigged to collapse, blocking the path and acting as a crushing trap).

Longspears through the murder holes.  -4 AC for squeezing through a tight space, -4 from melee attacks for being prone (-2 for small chars).  Attackers will be getting +1 from high ground, and +2 from flanking (except the rogue).  For a total of +11 attack.

Also, I need a good +2 or +3 template for use on dire lions that won't interfere with their rake or pounce abilities.  Preferably this should be something that can be chalked up to the kobold sorcs creating abominations of nature.

Right on.  Alchemy skill check if it's a purposeful attempt to make a reaction that isn't otherwise occuring.

Like with Roger's block of sodium over a pond trap (aside from the ants and the lobster), I'd say whether the substance of a treasure interacted badly with the environment would be a matter of how well the PC's packed it, and adjust the probability for it to react appropriately.
(If anyone has any applicable skills, I will ask for skill checks to have them "remember" safe handling instructions.)

Example: Party finds a crate of dynamite.  Oldschool dynamite.  If they take the time to wrap it in an oilcloth sack, no worries.  
If they don't, and say.. pass through a foggy marshland or other humid environ for a certain amount of time, then the nitro in the dynamite will recondense on the outisde of the tubes (VERY voaltile.)  Any bad handling, or failure against a trip, slam, or charge attack, (basically anythign which would cause a sudden shock) now sets it off, and we roll up damage for teh whole box at once.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Sister Fracture

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 09, 2011, 09:47:43 PM
Quote from: Sister Fracture on February 09, 2011, 08:48:28 PM

Not really feasible for a whole tribe.

For a pride of lions? Sure it would!

Boss Sorc makes Dire Lion 1 and Dire Lion 2 Fiendish with diabolical magical rituals.

Dire Lion 1 and 2 have babies.

A pride is formed!
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North End™

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.