News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

Tucker's Kobolds and Pathfinder

Started by Requia ☣, February 09, 2011, 12:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

HOW THE HELL DID I PK HALF THE PARTY WITH A CR 10 ENCOUNTER.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

The Wizard

QuoteHOW THE HELL DID I PK HALF THE PARTY WITH A CR 10 ENCOUNTER.

This story needs to be told. Please explain.
Insanity we trust.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Requia ☣ on March 06, 2011, 05:41:40 AM
HOW THE HELL DID I PK HALF THE PARTY WITH A CR 10 ENCOUNTER.

1. They sucked
2. You made an error in the CR calc
or 3. the dice gods were pissed at them

ETA
Also, it is my understanding that at higher CR player death shouldn't be a shock since "lolressurection" spells

Requia ☣

Pair of toxic magma oozes (both CR 8, straight out of the bestiary 2).

Now the thing is, its an ooze, hit it with the wrong weapon and you get two oozes.  In this case the wrogn weapon is cold damage and slashing weapons.

So of course, the party proceeds to tear into the oozes with a cold damage enchanted bow.  So instead of facing two oozes when it finally covers the distance (one was dropped through the cieling at each end of a hallway, they're facing three.  Everybody but the paladin gets grappled.  All of them , except the paladin, have shitty CMB and can't really do much while grappled.

This shouldn't be a huge deal, except the paladin, instead of just killing the things (they had about 10 HP left each) goes around giving out lay on hands, which he can't do to the whole party fast enough to avoid them all dying.

We stopped cause of time issues, but I'm going over the notes my players gave me (I expect them to track their own damage, but I keep it between sessions) and they didn't realize that when the pally cured their poison (con damage each) he didn't repair the con damage.  So the druid is really dead dead, and the rogue is at -5 and counting (and is dead dead if he fails his next poison saving throw, which will be the very first thing that happens next week).

Of course, all of this could have been avoided had a freaking 21 not matched the druid's AC in the first place.

Come to think, it was the druid splitting the things in two to start with... maybe I should be glad she died.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on March 06, 2011, 05:56:43 AM

That's an EL9, not an EL10, which makes it even funnier.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Requia ☣

Page 398 says two creatures is CR+2.

Luna

Hrm.  I'd give 'em a round before you hit them with the "you screwed up on your damage tracking last session," particularly if there's any chance that they could have fixed the problem had they caught it.  (I also track character damage, myself, when running a game, less chance of "oops, I forgot to mark that down," but that's a habit from playing at a game store with players I don't know and trust.) 
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on March 06, 2011, 06:10:37 AM

I'm looking at page 398, and it doesn't say that.  I'm in a first-printing book, here.  What is the subtitle of the paragraph you're using, because my says EL = CR + 1 for every additional like CR.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Now the thing is, its an ooze, hit it with the wrong weapon and you get two oozes.  In this case the wrogn weapon is cold damage and slashing weapons.

What?  Magma oozes don't split.  You confused them with carniverous blob.

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 06, 2011, 02:53:23 PM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on March 06, 2011, 06:10:37 AM

I'm looking at page 398, and it doesn't say that.  I'm in a first-printing book, here.  What is the subtitle of the paragraph you're using, because my says EL = CR + 1 for every additional like CR.

Mine is a fourth printing and agrees with Req's. Subtitle is High CR Encounters and says to see table 12-3. All on page 398.

Requia ☣

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 06, 2011, 02:56:40 PM

Now the thing is, its an ooze, hit it with the wrong weapon and you get two oozes.  In this case the wrogn weapon is cold damage and slashing weapons.

What?  Magma oozes don't split.  You confused them with carniverous blob.

It's under defensive abilities, "split (cold and slashing, 8 hp); "

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on March 06, 2011, 07:06:04 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 06, 2011, 02:56:40 PM

Now the thing is, its an ooze, hit it with the wrong weapon and you get two oozes.  In this case the wrogn weapon is cold damage and slashing weapons.

What?  Magma oozes don't split.  You confused them with carniverous blob.

It's under defensive abilities, "split (cold and slashing, 8 hp); "

Ho ho!  I stand corrected!  I shall have to poop one of these onto the party.

Requia ☣

The paladin went into the Kobold sized tunnels last night to scout.  :lulz:

Sadly, he took a wrong turn and missed the ambush, then gave up and went back.