News:

Oceana has always been at war with Iraq

Main Menu

Masterwork Monsters for Pathfinder

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, February 09, 2011, 07:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

:eek:

Just what the world needs. MORE giant bugs.

The giant centipede scared the crap out of my party, especially since they were rushing themselves through without resting, and being loud in every room.  The barbarian opened the door to "OMG SOMETHING JUST NARROWLY MISSED ME AND IT HAS GIANT MANDIBLES!!!!!"

Unfortunately the fuckers got lucky and no one died.

The Good Reverend Roger

You can NEVER have too many big Goddamn bugs.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

I'd consider the following a Masterworked Monster.

Francisca the Fabulous   CR 8
XP 4800

Kobold Sorc 5 (red dragon boodline)/Dragon Disciple 4
LN Small humanoid (reptilian)
Initiative +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft;  Perception +14

Defense
AC 21, touch 16, flat-footed 20; (+1 size, +1 Dodge, +5 natural, +4 mage armor [always cast in the morning, and again if the slots are available once the first casting is worn off])
hp  45 (5d6+4d12+9)
Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +7 (+9 vs fear)
Resist fire 10
Weaknesses light sensitivity

Offense
Speed
30 ft.
Melee 2 claws +6 (1d4+1) and bite +6
Ranged +5 ray
Space 2 1/2 ft.; Reach 2 1/2 ft.
Special Attacks breath weapon 2/day (30 ft cone of fire, DC 17)

Spells Known/Prepared  
0 - level: detect magic, read magic, touch of fatigue (DC 13), open/close, message, mage hand, ray of frost, acid splash
1st level (7 per day): shield, mage armor*, burning hands (5d4+5, DC 16), magic missile (5d4+5), grease (DC 14)
2nd level (7 per day): touch of idiocy (DC 15), scorching ray (4d6+4, 2 rays), pyrotechnics (DC 15), resist energy*
3rd level (6 per day): fireball (9d6+9, DC 18), fly*, explosive runes (DC 16)
4th level (3 per day): fear* (DC 17), greater invisibility

Statistics
Str 12, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 17
Base Atk +5;  CMB  +5;  CMD 15
Feats Eschew Materials, Additional Traits, Combat Casting, Lightning Reflexes, Dodge, Scribe Scroll, Improved Initiative, Great Fortitude, Magical Knack, Adopted (Warrior of Old [elf]), Reactionary, Indomitable Will

Skills Knowledge (arcana) +9, Spellcraft +13, Perception +14, Stealth +9;  Racial Modifiers +2 Perception, +2 Stealth
Languages   Draconic, Common

Special Qualities   Blood of Dragons, Bloodline Arcana, Bloodline Powers, Bloodline Feats, kobold variant (red)(Classic Monsters Revisited)

Treasure 10,507 total, 3,500 weapons, 3,000 protection, 2,000 magic, 1,050 limited use, 500 gear

Smoked lenses (10 gold. These glasses have been smoked black to protect the wearer's eyes from bright light. Creatures wearing the lenses are not dazzled in bright light such as a daylight spell and provide a +3 bonus to saves vs visual attacks (gaze attacks, spells like flare and pyrotechincs (fireworks),  but take a -5 penalty on attack rolls if in normal light, and a -10 in lower light.  Equipping the glasses is a free action which does provoke attacks of opportunity.  Francisca and her buddies have special pockets (5 silver) for them so they are always in handy reach, making taking them out a move action.)

Special Abilities

Eschew Materials: A sorcerer gains Eschew Materials as a bonus feat at first level.

Blood of Dragons: A dragon disciple adds his level to his sorcerer levels when determining the powers gained from his bloodline.  If the dragon disciple does not have levels of sorverer, he instead gains bloodline powers of the draconic bloodline, using his dragon disciple level as his sorcerer level to determine the bonuses gained.  He must choose a dragon type upon gaining his first level in this class and that type must be the same as his sorcerer type.  This ability does not grant bonus spells to a sorverer unless he possesses spell slots of an appropriate level.  Such bonus spells are automatically granted if the sorcerer gains spell slots of the spell's level.

Bloodline Arcana:  Whenever you cast a spell with an energy descriptor that matches your draconic bloodline's energy type, that spell deals +1 points of damage per die rolled.

Bloodline Powers:

Claws (Ex):  Starting at first level, you can grow caws as a free action.  These claws are treated as natural weapons, alowing you to make two claw attacks as a full attack action using your full base attack bonus.  Each of these attacks deals 1d4 points of damage plus your Strength modifier (1d3 if you are Small).  At 5th level, these claws are considered magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming DR.  At 7th level, the damage increases by one step to 1d6 points of damage (1d4 if you are Small.)  At 11th level, these claws deal an additional 1d6 points of damage of your energy type on a successful hit.  This is a supernatural ability.  You can use your claws for a number of rounds per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier.

Dragon Bite (Ex):  At 2nd level, whenever the dragon disciple uses his bloodline to grow claws, he also gains a bite attack.  This natural attack is made at the dragon disciple's full base attack bonus.  The dragon disciple adds 1-1/2 times his Strength modifier on damage rolls made with his bite.  Upon reachiing 6th level, this bite also deals 1d6 points of energy damage.  The type of damage dealt is determined by his chosen bloodline.

Dragon Resistances (Ex):  At 3rd level, you gain resist 5 against your energy type and a +1 natural armor bonus.  At 9th level, your energy resistance increases to 10 and natural armor bonus increases to +2.  At 15th level, your natural armor bonus increases to +4.

Natural Armor Increase (Ex):  As his skin thickens, a dragon disciple takes on more and more of his progenitor's physical aspect.  At 1st, 4th, and 7th level, a dragon disciple gains an increase to the character's existing natural armor (if any), as indicated on Table 11-4 (pg 380, Core Rulebook.) These bonuses stack.

Breath Weapon (Su): At 2nd level, a dragon disciple gains the breath weapon bloodline power, even if his level does not yet grant this power.  Once his level is high enough to grant this ability through the bloodline, the dragon disciple gains an additional use of his breath weapon each day.  The type and shape of the breath weapon depends on the the type of dragon selected by the dragon disciple, as detailed under the Draconic sorcerer bloodline description (see page 75).

(shortened version of Breath Weapon entry on pg 75)

At 9th level, you gain a breath weapon.  This wepaon deals 1d6 points of your energy type per sorcerer level.  Those caught in the area of the breath weapon recieve a Refex save for half damage.  The DC of this save is equal to 10 + 1/2 your sorcerer level + your Charisma modifier (17).  The shape of the breath weapon depends on your dragon type (30-foot cone of fire).  

Francisca can use this ability 2 times per day, once for 2nd level dragon disciple, once for a cumulative 9 sorcerer levels.

Don Coyote

:lulz:
The kobold mafia with sunglasses.
I love it.

Freeky

With an emphasis on blowing shit up. :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

Newest offerings (by request in PM, because my players are reading this page now):

Clockwork Monkeys - Windup theft and harassment.
Painted Creation Fighter - Nice little ambush creature.
Mana Waste Advanced Minotaur - Because nothing says "I love you guys" like a mutant fucking minotaur.  With two horseshoes of speed.
Monkeybee swarm - MONKEY BEES!  FUCK'S SAKE!  Like a hornet swarm, only instead of poison, THEFT!  AND poison!

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Junkenstein

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on September 15, 2013, 05:04:29 AM

Monkeybee swarm - MONKEY BEES!  FUCK'S SAKE!  Like a hornet swarm, only instead of poison, THEFT!  AND poison!

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 16, 2013, 08:46:33 PM

My players expect this sort of shit, after the whole piranhakeet thing.

The Good Reverend Roger

Last night, added:

Lurking Strangler - Homebrewed from scratch, think of it as the Arnold Swartznegger of the smaller "chokers" (Bestiary I).  Ambush predator designed to be able to grapple and run, choking out one party member as it runs up a wall, etc, to its lair for dinner time.  I didn't modify a choker, I built from the ground up, CR6 aberration.  Completely solitary, and very smart.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on September 16, 2013, 08:49:15 PM

Right, one story please. Side of torture, no mercy.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 16, 2013, 09:18:08 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on September 16, 2013, 08:49:15 PM

Right, one story please. Side of torture, no mercy.

Once, a long time ago, your Dirty Old Uncle Roger worked in the gaming industry.  The last monster he created before being EJECTED from the company AT ALTITUDE was the "piranhakeet".  It has been through many incarnations, and is now a swarm creature in Pathfinder.  It is also why the party unloads the artillery whenver they see a songbird.  It is also the only reason I am remembered, when I am remembered at all, in the gaming industry.  For some reason, it struck a chord.

For what it's worth, I was fired for slapping the dogsnot out of my editor at Origins, on account of the bastard kept touching my dice.

Don Coyote

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT??????

Junkenstein

Quote from: Don Coyote on September 17, 2013, 05:53:39 PM

Why WOULDN'T you?

Is there anything in the makings involving suicide bombing? It's one way to protect some kind of nest maybe? Acid splash damage?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Don Coyote on September 17, 2013, 05:53:39 PM

This is why I don't bother with super weird settings or genre anachronisms. 

I have the back of the Bestiary and a very skewed mind.

President Television

I kinda want to try writing up some monsters, but none of my games have gotten past level 2. At least half of that's because I can't find anything interesting to throw in encounters at that level, though. At about what CR do you find you start having fun with monster creation?
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.