Masterwork Monsters for Pathfinder

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, February 09, 2011, 07:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2017, 12:04:52 AM
Quote from: Cain on March 04, 2017, 12:01:21 AM
Is the ghost chicken evil manifest?

:lulz:

No, I was just trying to make the most pathetic ghost possible.  One that a first level party could take out easily.

Sadly, I don't think Stanley is going to be a recurring villain.

I love the GHOST CHICKEN

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Don Coyote on March 04, 2017, 12:07:34 AM

No, I was just trying to make the most pathetic ghost possible.  One that a first level party could take out easily.

I love the GHOST CHICKEN

The best DMs are magpies (I know I am).  Steal the bastard.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Ghost chicken didn't even get an action.  The elephant of despair did well, but now his bits are on the ivory market.  Smiley went out like a punk, and red tape dude to a long fall.  Stanley also didn't get a shot off.

The PCs rolled nothing less than a 17 all night.  :tgrr:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 05, 2017, 02:36:25 AM
Ghost chicken didn't even get an action.  The elephant of despair did well, but now his bits are on the ivory market.  Smiley went out like a punk, and red tape dude to a long fall.  Stanley also didn't get a shot off.

And this is why God does not play dice and uses a +12 DM screen of impenetrability.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 05, 2017, 07:34:06 AM

And this is why God does not play dice and uses a +12 DM screen of impenetrability.

Are you suggesting that Roger, or any GM, should CHEAT?  :ffs:

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2017, 12:09:15 AM

I love the GHOST CHICKEN

Did I ever share some of the bullshit monsters I made to repopulate the Emerald Spire?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Don Coyote on March 05, 2017, 09:47:07 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2017, 12:09:15 AM

I love the GHOST CHICKEN

Did I ever share some of the bullshit monsters I made to repopulate the Emerald Spire?

No.  Please do.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 05, 2017, 07:34:06 AM

This is how you lose your players, though.

Don Coyote

Ok, these were intended to be random encounters in the forest surrounding the Emerald Spire, which in my campaign also had some other weird shit like at least two buried interstellar craft.

Bramble Bear Leshy                                CR/HD 4

Init +1; Perception +9 (darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision)
Size Large; Speed 40 ft.
DEFENSES
AC 19 (touch 11, flat-footed 15); Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +3; CMD 21 (25 vs. grapple)
hp 44; Immune plant immunities, electricity, sonic
ATTACKS
Melee 2 claws +8 (1d6+7)
Attack Options improved combat maneuver (grapple), constrict (2d6+7)
CMB +10 (+14 grapple)
STATISTICS
Utility Spell-Like Abilities constant- pass without trace
Utility Options plantspeech, change shape (large blackberry bush), verdant burst (30 ft., 1d8+4)
Str +4, Dex +1, Con +3; Climb +12, Survival +9
XP 1,200 N plant (leshy, shapechanger)

Advanced Bramble Bear Leshy                                         CR/HD 5

Init +2; Perception +10 (darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision)
Size Large; Speed 40 ft.
DEFENSES
AC 20 (touch 11, flat-footed 16); Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +4; CMD 22 (26 vs. grapple)
hp 60; Immune plant immunities, electricity, sonic
ATTACKS
Melee 2 claws +10 (1d6+7)
Attack Options improved combat maneuver (grapple), constrict (2d6+7)
CMB +12 (+16 grapple)
STATISTICS
Utility Spell-Like Abilities constant- pass without trace
Utility Options plantspeech, change shape (large blackberry bush), verdant burst (30 ft., 1d8+5)
Str +5, Dex +2, Con +3; Climb +13, Survival +10
XP 1,600 N plant (leshy, shapechanger)

The Wandering Warden, Variant Wood Golem Druid CR 8

XP 4,800
N Medium construct (robot)
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Perception +13
Defense
AC 19, touch 13, flat-footed 16 (+3 Dex, +6 natural)
hp 64 (8d10+20)
Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +7
Defensive Abilities DR 5/adamantine; Immune construct traits, magic
Weaknesses vulnerable to critical hits, vulnerable to electricity, vulnerable to fire
Offense
Speed 30 ft.
Melee 2 slams +12 (2d6+4)
Special Attacks splintering, wild shape 1/day
Druid Spells Prepared (CL 8th; concentration +13)
3rd—call lightning (DC 18)
2nd—binding earth (DC 17), euphoric cloud (DC17)
1st—entangle (DC 16), goodberry
Statistics
Str 18, Dex 17, Con —, Int 10, Wis 21, Cha 1
Base Atk +8; CMB +12; CMD 25
Feats Fleet x2, Natural Spell, Wild Speech
Skills Knowledge (nature) +8, Perception +13
Ecology
Environment Echo Woods
Organization solitary or with 1 bramble bear
Treasure none
Special Abilities
Immunity to Magic (Ex) A wood golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance, with the exception of spells and spell-like abilities that have the Fire descriptor, which affect it normally. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.
•   Warp wood or wood shape slows a wood golem (as the slow spell) for 2d6 rounds (no save).
•   Repel wood drives the golem back 60 feet and deals 2d12 points of damage to it (no save).
•   A magical attack that deals cold damage breaks any slow effect on the golem and heals 1 point of damage for every 3 points of damage the attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the golem to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points. A wood golem gets no saving throw against attacks that deal cold damage.
Splintering (Su) As a free action once every 1d4+1 rounds, a wood golem can launch a barrage of razor-sharp wooden splinters from its body in a 20-foot-radius burst. All creatures caught within this area take 6d6 points of slashing damage (Reflex DC 14 halves). The save DC is Constitution-based.

Elk Court Faerie Knight, Faerie samurai 4 CR 4

XP 1,200
CN Medium fey (augmented elf)
Init +4; Senses darkvision 120 ft., low-light vision; Perception +5
Defense
AC 20, touch 14, flat-footed 16 (+5 armor, +4 Dexterity)
hp 30 (4d10+8)
Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +3; +2 vs. enchantments, +4 vs. mind-affecting effects
Defensive Abilities DR 5/cold iron, resolve 3/day; Immune sleep; Resist cold 10, electricity 10; SR 15
Weaknesses light blindness
Offense
Speed 30 ft., fly 45 ft. (good)
Melee mwk bronze hanger +6 (1d8+1/18-20)
Ranged darkwood and elk horn composite longbow +9 (1d8+2/x3, plus poison 110 ft.)
Special Attacks challenge (+4, +2 damage, 2/day), Dazzling Display
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 4th; concentration +5)
1/day—darkness, entangle (DC 12), glitterdust (DC 13)
2/day—faerie fire
4/day—dancing lights
Statistics
Str 13, Dex 19, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 12
Base Atk +4; CMB +5; CMD 23
Feats Dazzling DisplayB, Precise Shot, Point-blank Shot
Skills Acrobatics +10, Fly +14, Intimidate +1 Nature +8, Ride +11
Languages Common, Sylvan, Elf
SQ mount (horse), mounted archer, order of the cockatrice (braggart, +2 to hit demoralized opponents), weapon expertise (longbow), poison use
Organization solitary or hunting party (1 knight plus 1d6 animal headed goblin warriors 1)
Combat Gear berry of cure light wounds, mushroom of enlarge person, mushroom of reduce person; Other Gear mwk bronze chain shirt, darkwood and elk horn composite longbow, mwk bronze hanger, 4d6 gp in faerie monies (tokens of favors), faerie poison (treat as drow poison)

Court of Feathers Faerie Knight CR 4

XP 1,200
CN Medium fey (augmented pyn-gok)
Init +4; Senses low-light vision; Perception +1
Defense
AC 18, touch 14, flat-footed 14 (+4 Dex, +3 natural, +1 shield)
hp 22 (4d8+4)
Fort +2, Ref +8, Will +2; +4 vs. mind-affecting effects
Defensive Abilities DR 5/cold iron; Resist cold 10, electricity 10; evasion, whirling polearm defense
Offense
Melee mwk bronze halberd +6 (1d8+3/x3)
Ranged mwk bronze shuriken +8 (1d2+1, 10 ft.)
Special Attacks Dazzling plumage
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 4th; concentration +7)
   At will—id insinuation (1 creature, DC 15)
1/day—entangle (DC 14), faerie fire, glitterdust (DC 15)
3/day—dancing lights
Statistics
Str 13, Dex 19, Con 13, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 16
Base Atk +3; CMB +4; CMD 18
Feats Psionic Weapon, Weapon Focus (halberd)
Skills Acrobatics +11, Fly +15, Intimidate +7, Nature +9
Languages Common, Sylvan, Feather Court
Organization solitary or hunting party (1 knight plus 1d6 mocking fey)
Combat Gear berry of cure light wounds, mushroom of enlarge person, mushroom of reduce person; Other Gear mwk bronze halberd, mwk bronze shuriken (10), 4d6 gp in faerie monies (tokens of favors)
Special Abilities
Dazzling Plumage (Su) as a standard action dazzle all creatures within 20 ft. (DC 14)

Reynardine Court Faerie Knight, Faerie swashbuckler 4 CR 4

XP 1,200
CN Medium fey (augmented kitsune)
Init +7; Senses low-light vision; Perception +0
Defense
AC 20, touch 16, flat-footed 14 (+5 Dex, +1 dodge, +3 natural, +1 shield)
hp 22 (4d8+4)
Fort +2, Ref +9, Will +1; +4 vs. mind-affecting effects; charmed life 3/day
Defensive Abilities DR 5/cold iron; Resist cold 10, electricity 10;
Offense
Melee mwk fang rapier +6 (1d6+6/18-20)
Ranged mwk fang daggers +5 (1d4/19-20, 10 ft.)
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 4th; concentration +5)
1/day—entangle (DC 14), faerie fire, glitterdust (DC 15)
6/day—dancing lights
Statistics
Str 10, Dex 21, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 14
Base Atk +4; CMB +4; CMD 19
Feats Combat Expertise, Fencing Grace, Fox Shape
Skills Acrobatics +14, Fly +18, Influence +9
Languages Common, Sylvan, Fox
SQ change shape (fox, human), deeds, panache (2)
Organization solitary or hunting party (1 knight plus 3d6 sprites)
Combat Gear berry of cure light wounds, mushroom of enlarge person, mushroom of reduce person; Other Gear mwk fang rapier, mwk fang daggers (10), mwk buckler, 4d6 gp in faerie monies (tokens of favors)
Special Abilities
Change Shape (Su): A fox fairie can assume the appearance of a specific single human form of the same sex. The kitsune always takes this specific form when she uses this ability. A kitsune in human form cannot use her bite attack, but gains a +10 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to appear human. Changing shape is a standard action. This ability otherwise functions as alter self, except that the kitsune does not adjust her ability scores. A fox fairie can also assume the form of a specific tiny fox as if using beast shape II.

Derring-Do (Ex): At 1st level, a swashbuckler can spend 1 panache point when she makes an Acrobatics, Climb, Escape Artist, Fly, Ride, or Swim check to roll 1d6 and add the result to the check. She can do this after she makes the check but before the result is revealed. If the result of the d6 roll is a natural 6, she rolls another 1d6 and adds it to the check. She can continue to do this as long as she rolls natural 6s, up to a number of times equal to her Dexterity modifier (minimum 1).
Dodging Panache (Ex): At 1st level, when an opponent attempts a melee attack against the swashbuckler, the swashbuckler can as an immediate action spend 1 panache point to move 5 feet; doing so grants the swashbuckler a dodge bonus to AC equal to her Charisma modifier (minimum 0) against the triggering attack. This movement doesn't negate the attack, which is still resolved as if the swashbuckler had not moved from the original square. This movement is not a 5-foot step; it provokes attacks of opportunity from creatures other than the one who triggered this deed. The swashbuckler can only perform this deed while wearing light or no armor, and while carrying no heavier than a light load.
Opportune Parry and Riposte (Ex): At 1st level, when an opponent makes a melee attack against the swashbuckler, she can spend 1 panache point and expend a use of an attack of opportunity to attempt to parry that attack. The swashbuckler makes an attack roll as if she were making an attack of opportunity; for each size category the attacking creature is larger than the swashbuckler, the swashbuckler takes a –2 penalty on this roll. If her result is greater than the attacking creature's result, the creature's attack automatically misses. The swashbuckler must declare the use of this ability after the creature's attack is announced, but before its attack roll is made. Upon performing a successful parry and if she has at least 1 panache point, the swashbuckler can as an immediate action make an attack against the creature whose attack she parried, provided that creature is within her reach.
Kip-Up (Ex): At 3rd level, while the swashbuckler has at least 1 panache point, she can kip-up from prone as a move action without provoking an attack of opportunity. She can kip-up as a swift action instead by spending 1 panache point.
Menacing Swordplay (Ex): At 3rd level, while she has at least 1 panache point, when a swashbuckler hits an opponent with a light or one-handed piercing melee weapon, she can choose to use Intimidate to demoralize that opponent as a swift action instead of a standard action.
Precise Strike (Ex): At 3rd level, while she has at least 1 panache point, a swashbuckler gains the ability to strike precisely with a light or one-handed piercing melee weapon (though not natural weapon attacks), adding her swashbuckler level to the damage dealt. To use this deed, a swashbuckler cannot attack with a weapon in her other hand or use a shield other than a buckler. She can even use this ability with thrown light or one-handed piercing melee weapons, so long as the target is within 30 feet of her. Any creature that is immune to sneak attacks is immune to the additional damage granted by precise strike, and any item or ability that protects a creature from critical hits also protects a creature from the additional damage of a precise strike. This additional damage is precision damage, and isn't multiplied on a critical hit.
As a swift action, a swashbuckler can spend 1 panache point to double her precise strike's damage bonus on the next attack. This benefit must be used before the end of her turn, or it is lost. This deed's cost cannot be reduced by any ability or effect that reduces the amount of panache points a deed costs (such as the Signature Deed feat).
Swashbuckler Initiative (Ex): At 3rd level, while the swashbuckler has at least 1 panache point, she gains a +2 bonus on initiative checks. In addition, if she has the Quick Draw feat, her hands are free and unrestrained, and she has any single light or one-handed piercing melee weapon that isn't hidden, she can draw that weapon as part of the initiative check.

The Good Reverend Roger

Very nice.  I am thinking of taking that Leshy idea and making a sewer moss variant of it.

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 06, 2017, 03:37:38 AM
Very nice.  I am thinking of taking that Leshy idea and making a sewer moss variant of it.

Oh yes. I like that.

I need to type up the rest of my custom monsters, and maybe find their stat blocks so I can type them up. I got a potentially nasty CR3 Nightmare that got me accusations of not know how to balance monsters, when no one died.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Don Coyote on March 06, 2017, 06:09:09 AM

Oh yes. I like that.

I need to type up the rest of my custom monsters, and maybe find their stat blocks so I can type them up. I got a potentially nasty CR3 Nightmare that got me accusations of not know how to balance monsters, when no one died.

If it's a "boss" monster - I don't use them any more - that sounds perfect.  Scare the shit out of them, but nobody croaks unless they're dumb.  Or supremely unlucky.

"The kobold hits you with his spear for 128 HPs.  What can I say?  He got lucky."
- The Slayer's Guide to DMs.

Don Coyote

This was a CR +1 or 2 encounter in a room with doors smaller than the monster. It was in an already cleared room that only had some minor abandoned gear, that the party had booked it from after dicking around thinking they were safe and meeting a lower level boss. They left the Spire and went to another easier dungeon for a month in game and got upset that a powerful wizard, that they knew about, had made a new horror for them to deal with, that they didn't even need to deal with. By the by, the party defeated the monster with no casualties but a lot of whinging from the rogue who charged in first because he had the scout template and wanted his sneak attack dice. I mean, sure go ahead and charge into combat with an aware enemy two size categories larger than you obviously made of bones with your short swords.

The Dunsali Horror (Necrocraft) CR 7

XP 1,200
N Huge Undead
Init +0; Senses darkvision 60ft; Perception +0
Defense
AC 19, touch 9, flat-footed 18
hp 65 (10d8+20)
Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +7
Defensive Abilities DR 5/bludgeoning; Resist cold 5, undead immunities
Offense
Speed 40 ft., climb 40 ft.
Melee 4 claws +15 (1d8+10)
Statistics
Base Atk +7; CMB +19; CMD 29
Feats Toughness
Skills Climb +18, Stealth -8
SQ Construction Points 4 (2 extra attacks, climb speed, mostly skeleton)
Organization solitary
Treasure: 500 gp Onyx, Bracers of Armor +1, Amulet of Natural Armor +1, 125 lbs of brass wire

This monstrosity is a medley of fallen friends and foes. Its legs and four arms are bones and spider limbs held together by spider silk and brass wire. Its torso is an unholy amalgamation of moon spider thoraxes and bronze solder. Its lower jaw is the upper half of the fallen summoner Dun'sali meeting a collection of smaller goblin skulls. The ends of its four arms are clawed with spider mandibles. Black and green fire glow in the dozens of empty eye sockets.

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 06, 2017, 04:57:46 PM

Oh yes. I like that.

If it's a "boss" monster - I don't use them any more - that sounds perfect.  Scare the shit out of them, but nobody croaks unless they're dumb.  Or supremely unlucky.

"The kobold hits you with his spear for 128 HPs.  What can I say?  He got lucky."

My plan with this CR 3 Nightmare Unfettered Eidolon was to harass members of the party who felt guilt over letting a summoner die in the first session, weeks prior. The nightmare wasn't going to kill anyone, but it was going to make it hard for certain members, the rogue and the oracle, to rest while within the vicinity of the Spire, while draining small amounts of charisma. This was an evil and malicious entity that wanted the people it held responsible for the death of its master to suffer, not die. This also followed them having pissed off a 6th level evoker, leading to the death of a tribe of goblins they had befriended, the slaughter of a thief cult.

I felt it was both fair and logical that a powerful evil wizard would take out his anger on the nearest living things and make new defenses, like the necrocraft.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Don Coyote on March 06, 2017, 06:07:52 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 06, 2017, 04:57:46 PM

Oh yes. I like that.

My plan with this CR 3 Nightmare Unfettered Eidolon was to harass members of the party who felt guilt over letting a summoner die in the first session, weeks prior. The nightmare wasn't going to kill anyone, but it was going to make it hard for certain members, the rogue and the oracle, to rest while within the vicinity of the Spire, while draining small amounts of charisma. This was an evil and malicious entity that wanted the people it held responsible for the death of its master to suffer, not die. This also followed them having pissed off a 6th level evoker, leading to the death of a tribe of goblins they had befriended, the slaughter of a thief cult.

I felt it was both fair and logical that a powerful evil wizard would take out his anger on the nearest living things and make new defenses, like the necrocraft.

NICE.  The druid croaked in my Sunday game, and his velociraptor companion ran off into the swamp next to the city.

You can believe that's going to come back to haunt the party.

And yes, wizards are supposed to be smart.  They're going to react to the PCs and improve defenses.  Probably also hire some mercenaries as bodyguards.  And the Spire area is crawling with mercenary bands, mostly over a few miles in Thornkeep.