News:

"At the teaparties they only dunked bags into cups of water...because they didn't want to break the law. And that just about sums up America's revolutionary spirit."

Main Menu

A little handy gaming advice #1: How to be invited back to a game table.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, February 10, 2011, 04:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 10, 2011, 09:55:05 PM
I do have to somewhat agree with Cramulus here (even if he is a filthy 4E player  :lulz:) Different people have different playstyles.  I'd *never* be able to run a game for Roger's group (though I do like playing in that style as well), my games are far too story oriented, and lack much in the way of encounters (a combat heavy session will have 3 fights).  It works great for the people I play with though.

GAH!

My players would have my ass if I showed up with only 3 fights.  TGG, in particular, tends to eyeball townsfolk if there's too much time spent buying shit, etc.

"There's no crits in the palace."
- TGG
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Luna

Heck, one of the most fun games I ever ran was a truly hideously crappy system.  (Anybody remember Teenagers from Outer Space?)  We had a majorly story-driven D&D campaign going, high drama, hell on the nerves, and we'd grab TFOS when that was over to unwind for about a half hour after the session was over.  Snapped everybody out of the mood they were in, everybody went home laughing.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Sister Fracture

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 10, 2011, 09:58:55 PM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 10, 2011, 09:55:05 PM
I do have to somewhat agree with Cramulus here (even if he is a filthy 4E player  :lulz:) Different people have different playstyles.  I'd *never* be able to run a game for Roger's group (though I do like playing in that style as well), my games are far too story oriented, and lack much in the way of encounters (a combat heavy session will have 3 fights).  It works great for the people I play with though.

GAH!

My players would have my ass if I showed up with only 3 fights.  TGG, in particular, tends to eyeball townsfolk if there's too much time spent buying shit, etc.

"There's no crits in the palace."
- TGG

I like story oriented stuff (remember when I ran the Guild of Thieves, and the High point of the book was a play?) but yeah, when I'm playing, if I don't get a chance to splodey something, I feel like I COULD splode me some villagers.
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North End™

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Luna

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Luna

Campaign we had going with that actually ran for quite awhile.  It was great for the purpose, which was kill a half hour, destress, demolish the rest of the snack food, and get our heads back on right before breaking up for the night.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cramulus

yeah dude. These are kickass threads. You've breathed a lot of life into this dusty little subforum.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Luna

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on February 11, 2011, 01:53:14 PM
They're making me want to play D&D, that's for sure.

They're making me want to run something.  It's been awhile since I've been motivated to do that.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Roger, that OP is mittens and WIN. I cannot agree more with every point!!!

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Eater of Clowns

I guess my question would be, how does one even find tabletop gaming groups?  It doesn't seem like any hobby shops in my area host any.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Requia ☣

I've never heard of a hobby shop hosting RPG games, they usually give the table space over to the wargamers and the CCG people.  You just have to know people really.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

President Television

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 11, 2011, 11:33:40 PM
I've never heard of a hobby shop hosting RPG games, they usually give the table space over to the wargamers and the CCG people.  You just have to know people really.

This. That whiny sociopathic pedophile I mentioned a while back? He was the DM's cousin. As much as I hate to admit it, if it wasn't for him I never would have gotten into DnD.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.