News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

A little handy gaming advice #1: How to be invited back to a game table.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, February 10, 2011, 04:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aucoq

Quote from: El Twid on February 10, 2011, 06:29:03 PM
The fact that he habitually rubbed his legs and had a strange chuckle didn't help.

Hey, I didn't know we've played together before.  :lulz:
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 10, 2011, 07:35:37 PM
Also, we have a monthly DM convention here in Tucson, though I've stopped going, after the hour-long heckling session we inflicted on a guy who insisted that the advert listed him as "The best GM in Tucson" (can you believe it?), while he was trying to explain to us why we were all inferior DMs with his lecture time.

Update:  The assmonkey in question has given Hackfest the Royal Sniff, seeing as how he didn't think of it, and how many people are signed up to play in it.

:lulz:
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 28, 2013, 11:52:20 PM
Also, we have a monthly DM convention here in Tucson, though I've stopped going, after the hour-long heckling session we inflicted on a guy who insisted that the advert listed him as "The best GM in Tucson" (can you believe it?), while he was trying to explain to us why we were all inferior DMs with his lecture time.

Update:  The assmonkey in question has given Hackfest the Royal Sniff, seeing as how he didn't think of it, and how many people are signed up to play in it.

it was  probably too much fun diet him.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: six to the quixotic on May 28, 2013, 11:55:17 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 28, 2013, 11:52:20 PM

it was  probably too much fun diet him.

Are you huffing autocorrect again?   :|
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Pergamos

Quote from: Luna on February 12, 2011, 07:49:35 PM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 12, 2011, 07:31:41 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 12, 2011, 06:47:24 PM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 11, 2011, 11:33:40 PM
I've never heard of a hobby shop hosting RPG games, they usually give the table space over to the wargamers and the CCG people.  You just have to know people really.

Um, every gameshop I've ever been to outside of a mall has a game area for RPGers.

It's a player thing and not a shop thing in my experience.  The shops I've frequented had space for it, but I never saw anybody using it for that.

Part of the problem is that, at least from what I've seen, many players are selfconscous about roleplaying in public.

Some shops will have notices up, groups looking for players.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 28, 2013, 01:12:42 AM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on May 27, 2013, 01:57:23 AM
On the subject of "wasting time buying things," two whole game sessions wasted trying to secure a place to live out of. GURPS cyberpunk. Please shoot me in the face.

Well, there's:

1.  High fantasy.  Mundane details are not even glossed over.
2.  Medium fantasy.  Mundane details may be a plot hook.
3.  Low fantasy.  Mundane details may occasionally be a plot point.
4.  Why fucking bother.  Mundane details constitute 75% or more of the game, why not just balance your checkbook and award yourself the experience.

Yeah, I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't like the way this GM runs things. We finally got to our first combat and it was nitpicky and stupidly deadly. Rolling hit locations and making checks for crippled goddamn limbs.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on May 30, 2013, 03:01:59 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 28, 2013, 01:12:42 AM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on May 27, 2013, 01:57:23 AM
On the subject of "wasting time buying things," two whole game sessions wasted trying to secure a place to live out of. GURPS cyberpunk. Please shoot me in the face.

Well, there's:

1.  High fantasy.  Mundane details are not even glossed over.
2.  Medium fantasy.  Mundane details may be a plot hook.
3.  Low fantasy.  Mundane details may occasionally be a plot point.
4.  Why fucking bother.  Mundane details constitute 75% or more of the game, why not just balance your checkbook and award yourself the experience.

Yeah, I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't like the way this GM runs things. We finally got to our first combat and it was nitpicky and stupidly deadly. Rolling hit locations and making checks for crippled goddamn limbs.

This is exactly why I run a book game.
Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

<rant>
It didn't even make any goddamn sense. We finally got our first combat at all and it was a gang war outside our apartment, which was fine and all, but then we hook up with the local gang and the first task they give us is "so, you guys go run into their headquarters and kill the three guys in charge while we make a distraction elsewhere." Who fucking does that? Hey, new people that no one knows who have funny accents and don't understand how anything works, how about we put you in a vital position in a plan that we can only attempt once? That's super.
</rant>

Don Coyote

This sounds like fucking  chart..I mean rolemaster. Also defective DM.