News:

News:  0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765 10946 17711 28657, motherfuckers.

Main Menu

A little handy gaming advice #2: How to hold a group together.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, February 10, 2011, 05:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 10, 2011, 06:43:38 PM
Apparently even being *tempted* by a bribe violates some monk vow of poverty I've never heard of.

Oh, hey, you can't win.  Fun.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, as a DM, I do not allow evil characters (with only one or two exceptions in 30+ years).

If they're played properly, nobody has any fun.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on February 10, 2011, 06:36:08 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 10, 2011, 05:26:52 PM
5.  "THE DM'S WORD IS LAW" IS NOT AN EXCUSE TO BE A SHITBAG.  Killing a player arbitrarily or using DM fiat to make up for shortcomings in your preparation is fucking weak.

Christ, yes.

Also, I humbly submit:

-EVERYBODY GETS A TURN.  It's fine to spotlight a particular PC for a few sessions, if there's something cool happening.  If it's a sneak-and-run situation, the rogue gets to shine, and that's cool.  It becomes MUCH less cool, fast, when the rogue is the ONLY one who gets to shine.  Ever.

That, by the way, is the only reason I've ever walked away from an active campaign, other than real-life reasons (I have class that night, whatever.)

I think I covered that in the 1st thread, but I could have worded it better.

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 10, 2011, 06:47:36 PM
Quote from: Luna on February 10, 2011, 06:46:16 PM
It was the paladin in that particular campaign.

Four words.

Holy sword.  Level FOUR.

I think the only reason I kept going back as long as I did was to see if the DM actually WOULD get down on his knees and blow the paladin's player at the gaming table.

WTF?   :lulz:

Pretty much my reaction, too.  Funny how the ONLY magic armor that was dropped was plate (which only the paladin could wear)...  Stuff like that.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cramulus

it's symptomatic of DMs who think that their game has a "main character". It's whack - if you're hanging out with your friends, one of you probably isn't the designated "leader", why should you have one in D&D? This isn't a goddamn movie!

Richter

FLESH it OUT.  Set the scene, paint a picture for people.  Give them some exhibition, some detail when asked, and some secrets to find eyond that if they look hard enough, or the right way.  Make NPC's different.  Describe fights. (I described several PC/NPC missed hits and critical failures with "Spleen is slippery".  I was flattered as all HELL when this amde it into facebook posts.)  GM's reading straight (verbatim) from the prepared adventure books, describing fights in terms of points of damage only jsut seems dry and awful.  Your world, give it some life.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 10, 2011, 06:52:48 PM
5.  "THE DM'S WORD IS LAW" IS NOT AN EXCUSE TO BE A SHITBAG.  Killing a player arbitrarily or using DM fiat to make up for shortcomings in your preparation is fucking weak.

Christ, yes.

Also, I humbly submit:

-EVERYBODY GETS A TURN.  It's fine to spotlight a particular PC for a few sessions, if there's something cool happening.  If it's a sneak-and-run situation, the rogue gets to shine, and that's cool.  It becomes MUCH less cool, fast, when the rogue is the ONLY one who gets to shine.  Ever.

That, by the way, is the only reason I've ever walked away from an active campaign, other than real-life reasons (I have class that night, whatever.)

Players can have trouble sharing the spotlight amongst themselves...  It's easy to let the quiet player sit and do his or her thing in the background.  But when a GM starts saying and showing that a particular character is the center of the game, it's gonna go to shit fast.  (Had to take a GM to task for that one, many MANY years ago.  His girlfriend joined the game, you see...)

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on February 10, 2011, 07:02:55 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 10, 2011, 06:52:48 PM

Christ, yes.

Also, I humbly submit:

Players can have trouble sharing the spotlight amongst themselves...  It's easy to let the quiet player sit and do his or her thing in the background.  But when a GM starts saying and showing that a particular character is the center of the game, it's gonna go to shit fast.  (Had to take a GM to task for that one, many MANY years ago.  His girlfriend joined the game, you see...)

I dropped out of a campaign once, because the DM had a favorite.

The other thing that will make me drop is when you come in to a new group and all the other players start playing dominance games with your character.  I fucking hate that shit, to the point where I just grab my shit, thank the host, and leave.

Luna

Quote from: Richter on February 10, 2011, 06:57:27 PM
FLESH it OUT.  Set the scene, paint a picture for people.  Give them some exhibition, some detail when asked, and some secrets to find eyond that if they look hard enough, or the right way.  Make NPC's different.  Describe fights. (I described several PC/NPC missed hits and critical failures with "Spleen is slippery".  I was flattered as all HELL when this amde it into facebook posts.)  GM's reading straight (verbatim) from the prepared adventure books, describing fights in terms of points of damage only jsut seems dry and awful.  Your world, give it some life.

Heh.  The best part was that somebody actually posted a WTF about it.   :lol:

Yes, this.  Make it real.

NPC's you give a crap about is good, too.  Punch-out "Bob the Tavern Keeper" is boring.  You know who he is, he's in half the books out there.  Pudgy, grumpy guy, spends all his time wiping down counters.  How about Nilfin, a halfling, retired adventurer rogue.  He lost his leg to a trap, many years back, and retired on his profits to run an inn.  He's got a soft spot for adventurers, and NO patience for idiots.  (He's infamous for winging change back for actual damage when irritated.)  Spends his time in a cushy chair near the cashbox, yelling at the waitresses.

Sister Fracture

Oh, a suggestion for this thread:

DISCOURAGE PCS FROM INFIGHTING.

Dominance games will lead to in game arguments, and then pc vs. pc fights, and then nobody has fun. :(
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North End™

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sister Fracture on February 10, 2011, 07:14:13 PM

Dominance games will lead to in game arguments, and then pc vs. pc fights, and then nobody has fun. :(

If the players argue, their characters are arguing.  Wandering monster check, etc.

If the characters actually come to blows, that's a fucking dinner bell.

Sister Fracture

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 10, 2011, 07:16:06 PM

If the players argue, their characters are arguing.  Wandering monster check, etc.

I wouldn'ta stabbed Jake, but he tried to fuck with me and be the boss of me. :oops:

What's your stance on debating which course to take, strategizing, etc., in the dungeon?

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

Luna

Quote from: Sister Fracture on February 10, 2011, 07:18:34 PM

I wouldn'ta stabbed Jake, but he tried to fuck with me and be the boss of me. :oops:

What's your stance on debating which course to take, strategizing, etc., in the dungeon?

That's PC conversation.  Make it quick, and I won't make that wandering monster check.  Get loud, and you're gonna get company.

The Good Reverend Roger

If you're talking, your characters are talking.  Same goes for combat.

Sometimes, an invisible/stealthy bastard is listening in.   :)

Sister Fracture

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 10, 2011, 07:20:10 PM

If you're talking, your characters are talking.  Same goes for combat.

Sometimes, an invisible/stealthy bastard is listening in.   :)

Indeed.

Do you know, I sometimes get ideas from you just listening to your strategies and such? :)