News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

A little handy gaming advice #2: How to hold a group together.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, February 10, 2011, 05:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on May 31, 2013, 02:25:14 AM
I want to play in a Dok game now :(

Thing is, it isn't brain surgery.  Everyone is there to have FUN, to escape for a while into a place where you can solve your problems by smashing them flat or burninating them, whatever. 

When it becomes "come worship my campaign, miserable peons" or "Let me make this as miserable as the real world", why bother?

So you leave your ego at the door (to a degree, you don't want to not give a shit about what you deliver), and you sit down, and you arrange some FUN for your players.  Every group is different, so that DOESN'T mean "give them everything they want", but it DOES mean "give them the sort of adventure they want".  My groups tend to want heroic combat, Indiana Jones Ginormous rolling boulder traps, etc.  Other groups like intrigue, I understand. 

But the point is, no matter what the group is after, it's the DM's job to provide that for 3-6 hours a week, and also to have fun doing it.
Molon Lube

Freeky

To be honest, I don't undedrstand what RAW means in the context of a roleolaying game, either.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on May 31, 2013, 02:40:08 AM
To be honest, I don't undedrstand what RAW means in the context of a roleolaying game, either.
you know. The rules that are printed in the book in plain English.

Freeky

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on May 31, 2013, 02:47:01 AM
I guess I follow? :? :?

I think it's a derogatory term for "book rules", employed by lesser geeks and minor nerds. 

There is book.  If there MUST be house rules (and there really has to be), they need to be WRITTEN DOWN.  If the DM can't be bothered with that, he can't be trusted to put any effort into game prep.
Molon Lube

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 31, 2013, 02:49:25 AM

I think it's a derogatory term for "book rules", employed by lesser geeks and minor nerds. 

There is book.  If there MUST be house rules (and there really has to be), they need to be WRITTEN DOWN.  If the DM can't be bothered with that, he can't be trusted to put any effort into game prep.

I;m not ready to call derogatory, since Coyote seems to be speaking in favor of them, but I can't really think of what the acronym might stand for other than Robert Anton Wilson, which doesn't make sense.

And meh.  I don't think there SHOULD be house rules, or HAS TO be house rules, but they can be nice sometimes.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on May 31, 2013, 02:54:40 AM

I;m not ready to call derogatory, since Coyote seems to be speaking in favor of them, but I can't really think of what the acronym might stand for other than Robert Anton Wilson, which doesn't make sense.

And meh.  I don't think there SHOULD be house rules, or HAS TO be house rules, but they can be nice sometimes.

My bad. Didn't know you didn't know that acronym. Rules As Written. There is also Rules As Intended (RAI) which means the devs usually fucked something up in the rules and acknowledge it but haven't gotten around to unfucking something.
I keep forgetting that RAW is some crazy guy that discordians speak about using his initials. :lulz:

Freeky

Don Coyote

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on May 31, 2013, 02:54:40 AM

In my opinion, house rules are fine, but if you are running a game that you feel you have to houserule all kinds of things mean you should probably find another game to play that is more in line with what you want, or make your own. I'm fine with all of that. My issue is the whole "Not Written Down" and "Finding Out In Play In a Bad Way" like holy avengers that explode when sundered, or not being allowed to leave a weapon at 1 hp with the broken condition as it states in the rules. It's dishonest.

Freeky

It is, and didn't you say it was an actual relic?  RELICS SHOULD NOT BE SUNDERABLE.  E/O/S.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on May 31, 2013, 03:10:23 AM
It is, and didn't you say it was an actual relic?  RELICS SHOULD NOT BE SUNDERABLE.  E/O/S.

HE said ALL holy avengers are minor RELICS.....

Freeky

Doktor Howl

Quote from: six to the quixotic on May 31, 2013, 03:17:10 AM

I can buy that, as a house rule.  But the problem is, you can't sunder something with a higher plus than the weapon you're using, and the HA is +5.  So there's some serious bullshit going on there.
Molon Lube

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 31, 2013, 03:50:05 AM

I can buy that, as a house rule.  But the problem is, you can't sunder something with a higher plus than the weapon you're using, and the HA is +5.  So there's some serious bullshit going on there.

+5, or +5 and then abilities piled on?  I call shenaniganry on this, too.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on May 31, 2013, 03:51:40 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 31, 2013, 03:50:05 AM

+5, or +5 and then abilities piled on?  I call shenaniganry on this, too.

Only the enhancement bonus counts for that purpose, but how many +5 weapons are floating around?
Molon Lube