BETA TEST READERS NEEDED TO EDIT "SME 30"

Started by LMNO, February 11, 2011, 07:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

not to threadjack, but I'm curious how you got involved in that line of work

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on February 11, 2011, 08:50:30 PM

I was in the army and bored, and I knew a guy who knew a guy.  Next thing I know, I'm proofreading Gawd-fucking-awful corset-busters for $300/book.

There's nothing better than having your 1st Sgt walk into your barracks room and see a manuscript entitled "Flames of Love's Desire" or some shit on your bedside table.

:lulz:

"WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?"

"That, Top, is $300 worth of my frontal lobes."
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 11, 2011, 08:46:24 PM
Quote from: Luna on February 11, 2011, 08:42:17 PM
I believe it.  I used to use 'em for mental bubblegum.  If I'm reading something I don't have to think about, well, I don't think for awhile.  It's background noise to shut down my brain for awhile.

If you think back on them, the plot was identical in each and every one...

Yep.  I noticed, which is why they made decent bubblegum.  I didn't have to really READ it, could just unplug my brain.  Which led me to think that "I could write this crap better than THIS."  (My brain has figured out that particular mental bubblegum trick, and the trashy romance novels don't work any more.  You don't want to know what I resort to, now.)

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 11, 2011, 08:53:14 PM

I was in the army and bored, and I knew a guy who knew a guy.  Next thing I know, I'm proofreading Gawd-fucking-awful corset-busters for $300/book.

There's nothing better than having your 1st Sgt walk into your barracks room and see a manuscript entitled "Flames of Love's Desire" or some shit on your bedside table.

"WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?"

Hell, for $300 a pop, I'd do it.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on February 11, 2011, 08:54:55 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 11, 2011, 08:46:24 PM
Quote from: Luna on February 11, 2011, 08:42:17 PM
I believe it.  I used to use 'em for mental bubblegum.  If I'm reading something I don't have to think about, well, I don't think for awhile.  It's background noise to shut down my brain for awhile.

If you think back on them, the plot was identical in each and every one...

Yep.  I noticed, which is why they made decent bubblegum.  I didn't have to really READ it, could just unplug my brain.  Which led me to think that "I could write this crap better than THIS."  (My brain has figured out that particular mental bubblegum trick, and the trashy romance novels don't work any more.  You don't want to know what I resort to, now.)

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 11, 2011, 08:53:14 PM

I was in the army and bored, and I knew a guy who knew a guy.  Next thing I know, I'm proofreading Gawd-fucking-awful corset-busters for $300/book.

"WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?"

Hell, for $300 a pop, I'd do it.

It's pretty much all computerized, now.  The publishing biz, incidentally, is a shade below prostitution, and a sliver above politics.

It contributed to my present sunny disposition.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 11, 2011, 08:56:48 PM

It's pretty much all computerized, now.  The publishing biz, incidentally, is a shade below prostitution, and a sliver above politics.

It contributed to my present sunny disposition.

I have, in very lean times, done phone sex for a living.  I can survive reading that stuff.

(And yes, spending 3rd shift talking to the bastards who couldn't even grab the dregs at the bars when they closed DID, in fact, help shape my opinion of men.  Going further on that topic, however, would be a threadjack worse than the one we're already committing.)
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cuddlefish

I'm in. Curious, how many pages of material do you have?
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cuddlefish on February 11, 2011, 09:41:41 PM

Reminds me.  I lost your file when my old HD failed.  If you still want it done, zap me another copy.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 11, 2011, 09:48:15 PM
Quote from: Cuddlefish on February 11, 2011, 09:41:41 PM

Reminds me.  I lost your file when my old HD failed.  If you still want it done, zap me another copy.

Eh, don't worry about it. It had it's moments, but it was pretty terrible. If you feel like grinding through it, I can send you a copy anyhow, but...
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

LMNO

With title page, etc it's about 87 pages, 12pt NYTRoman, new page for each day. In other words, fairly short.

Cain

I was talking to a guy yesterday, apparently a lot of proofreading work has now moved out to India, along with the software and call centre industries.

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Placid Dingo

I am willing, but not a great option if time is an issue.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

The Wizard

I'm in. Would love to take a look through.
Insanity we trust.

LMNO

Ok, I already have six or so people reading through already... If they flake out don't have time to do it, I'll hit you guys as backups.

Thanks!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on February 14, 2011, 01:08:24 PM
Ok, I already have six or so people reading through already... If they flake out don't have time to do it, I'll hit you guys as backups.

Thanks!

No sweat.  I'm done with the first chapter.  I'll zap it to you tomorrow, with the second.

I gotta say, though, that starting with the skewed text may turn people off.