So, the Serenity rule set sucks ass. No problem.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, February 13, 2011, 01:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

I'm writing the (very simple, it turns out) rules to run science fiction using the Pathfinder rule set, instead.

So far, so good.  Most of what is needed is simple substitution.  I have the basic weapons list done, and the rules for reavers (lol, space orcs, minus the weapon familiarity, languages, and daylight sensitivity, and add on radiation resistance 1).

Armor will be written up tomorrow, plus rules for radiation and vacuum (ie, so long, Charley).

The revised skill list will follow the next day, then the revised feat list.

Races available = human.  Classes available = Barbarian, Fighter, Gunslinger, Monk (modified), Ranger (Skirmisher variant only), and Rogue (no magic talents, obviously).

If anyone's interested, the rules set will be complete by the end of the week, and the campaign I'm writing will be available weekly.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Phox

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Requia ☣

How do you deal with the pathfinder assumption that there will be armor (and frequently heavy armor) in its game balance?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 13, 2011, 05:29:17 AM
How do you deal with the pathfinder assumption that there will be armor (and frequently heavy armor) in its game balance?

Jack, ballistic armor, ablative armor, vac suits, combat armor, and...wait for it...SPACE MARINE ARMOR!  <--- Alliance troops only.

Of course, most people just run around wearing jack (essentially, a thick leather trenchcoat).  Gunfights are more deadly than melee.  Armor isn't as important, if you can avoid as many fights as possible.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Richter

I'm guessing XP would be awarded more on the basis of completing PC objectives, jobs, and creative negotiation than combat victory?  I'd be interested to see how that is handled.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Sounds good!  I played around a bit with the Savage Worlds future set... but Pathfinder should be far better!!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Richter on February 14, 2011, 02:59:14 PM
I'm guessing XP would be awarded more on the basis of completing PC objectives, jobs, and creative negotiation than combat victory?  I'd be interested to see how that is handled.

Bit of both.  Objectives have a CR rating, but so do opponents.  If the party wants to take a chance and play rough, it will get easier later, because they'll be slightly higher in level.

But bear in mind, there are no clerics, etc.  Healing takes time.

Richter

I can see loads of fun with the more social aspects of the game too.  "Kick down the door" or going for clean sweeps could get the group a reputation for being merciless killers or hit men, rather than effective opperators or subtle agents.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Triple Zero

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 13, 2011, 01:49:21 PM
Gunfights are more deadly than melee.  Armor isn't as important, if you can avoid as many fights as possible.

I thought your players would get angry if you didn't have at least 3 fights per evening?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 14, 2011, 04:38:30 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 13, 2011, 01:49:21 PM
Gunfights are more deadly than melee.  Armor isn't as important, if you can avoid as many fights as possible.

I thought your players would get angry if you didn't have at least 3 fights per evening?

I'm writing this campaign for a friend to run with a different group.

My group will be play-testing it, though...And let's see how they like monstrous combat when there's no instant healing.

:lulz: