News:

Attempting to do something

Main Menu

People who travel, tell me..

Started by Sir Squid Diddimus, February 13, 2011, 05:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Squid Diddimus

Is there some sort of wine box/beer bottle caddy that you can bring on board an airplane so you don't have to wrap all your bottles in your suitcase shifting all the sediment?
Is there a way to bring the shit on like a pet?

Or do I have to hope that the sediment will settle in about a day?

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Luna

You can't carry on alcohol, flights nowadays won't even let you carry a human-sized bottle of shampoo any more.  Suu sez she always wraps hers up in her luggage and hasn't had any trouble.  If you're bringing it up for the New England meet, you could always ship it ahead of time and give it time to settle.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Jenne

You need to pack it into your suitcase that you check in.  And I use boxed wine to travel now.  They make really good ones now.

As for beer, bubble wrap, man.  Loads and loads of it.

Jenne

Squiddy, you'll have to ship it, I think.  The only stuff they allow you to bring on board these days that doesn't fit in one of those damned ziplocs is stuff you get at the duty-free, and since you're not going overseas, that's a no-go-show for yo!

Unayko

It depends... if it is an international flights you could have problems even if you wrap it up in your luggage. Normally  you are only allowed to enter another country with two a maximum of two litres of alcohol (except for beer, i think you can carry a little more of it) per person.

Precious Moments Zalgo

I have carried 750 ml bottles of beer in my checked baggage by wrapping them in t-shirts and then tying a sock around them to hold it tight.

It took about 3 days for the sediment to settle back out.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Suu

I have managed to successfully smuggle beers between Rhode Island and Florida now a few times. So you know it's possible. This is what I do.

Take your bottles, if they're already cold, wait until the morning of your flight to do this...wrap them in thick fabric scraps. I use old brocades or velvet, but I have this shit laying around. After I do that, I put EACH BOTTLE in a huge Ziploc bag. This won't fit a 750mL, but you can tape the bottoms if you get worried. I also will wrap them in grocery bags after this. It doesn't pad them, but it will help control a beer spill.

Place the bottles in between layers of clothing as snuggly as you can, but in a way so they don't rub or bang together. I found that if I stagger them between the main compartment of my suitcase and my mesh thingie in the top it works well.

When you check your luggage, don't tell them, don't even bother telling them you have fragile items, because it won't matter anyway.

Sit in the plane, and say a little prayer when you watch them throwing your bag onto the ramp.

When you land, check the contents IMMEDIATELY. This will give you a chance to get anything broken out, but I have NEVER broken anything. I've even flown with an opened wine bottle we wrapped in a towel after my wedding.

When you get to your destination, take the beer out to settle on the counter or in the fridge for a day or so. Done.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Jenne

Suu,

professional beer smuggler!

I have to confess, I've never done beer.  Now I'm interested to try it out.

Sir Squid Diddimus

I was just hoping I wouldn't have to wrap it up (like I usually do with shit) cause I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to let all the sediment settle again.

Oh well, looks like it's that or nothing.

navkat

I read an article a few months back about TSA personnel getting more stringent about looking for food items and busting all these rock-star chefs for transporting contraband foods as though they were drugs.

Can't find the original piece but here's one similar:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126334353676327025.html

US PATRIOT act at work. Gotta protect Amurrcans from them durian fruit bombs.

Sir Squid Diddimus

UGH!
It really isn't any different than carrying a dog or baby on board.
Except beer doesn't bark, shit or piss itself.

LMNO

That would depend on how well you sealed the cap...

Suu

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on February 15, 2011, 06:20:35 AM
I was just hoping I wouldn't have to wrap it up (like I usually do with shit) cause I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to let all the sediment settle again.

Oh well, looks like it's that or nothing.

I've had my luggage searched with booze in it too. They don't touch it. They know you can't bring it on board and that you will find them if they take it. In fact, in Providence you get to watch them search your luggage, which is a luxury compared to Tampa or Boston. I had a TSA guard flat out tell me that he sees it all the time, even though RI state law isn't cool with it. Just do your part to keep the bottles safe and you should be fine.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cramulus

STORE BOOZE IN STOMACH

DEPOSIT IN SICK BAG DURING TAKE OFF