News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

South Dakota working to legalize whacking abortion doctors

Started by Cain, February 15, 2011, 03:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sister Fracture

Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North End™

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

Jenne

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 15, 2011, 07:43:44 PM
Ah, defining personhood now.

Killing a doctor who performs abortions could soon be legal in South Dakota -- that is, if a bill passed out of committee in the state House of Representatives on Monday, which makes it a "justifiable homicide" for someone to kill anyone attempting to harm an unborn child, becomes law.

State Rep. Phil Jensen (R), who introduced the bill, was quick to deny that the law is designed to prevent women from having abortions, telling TPM that it is instead a way to provide "consistency" to South Dakota law, and afford "a greater degree of personhood to an unborn child."
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/02/south-dakota-bill-would-legalize-murder-of-abortion-providers.php

...so can we apply personhood to appendages now?  My right big toe REALLY hates the way I vote.  It wants its own voting rights.

I'm betting there's a lot of dicks out there that had brains that said NO DON'T VOTE FOR SARAH PALIN! but did anyway.  So those would get personhood too.

And if they're uncirc'd, they get to put the "hood" in personhood.

/sorry this is so silly, I went in a completely different left field

Luna

Update, they've reportedly changed the wording, because the law has, and I quote, "nothing to do with abortion."

QuoteSince the original outcry, a change has been made to the bill: it only allows the "justifiable homicide" defense in cases of self-defense. It's no longer applicable to fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, or husbands. So what does this law seek to do?

When I asked Jensen what the purpose of the law was, if its target isn't abortion providers, he provided the following example:

Quote"Say an ex-boyfriend who happens to be father of a baby doesn't want to pay child support for the next 18 years, and he beats on his ex-girfriend's abdomen in trying to abort her baby. If she did kill him, it would be justified. She is resisting an effort to murder her unborn child."

Is there a localized outbreak of women having their abdomens beaten by people who want to avoid paying child support? Is it not already a crime in South Dakota to beat on your ex-girlfriend's abdomen? And is it not yet permissible in South Dakota to defend oneself, with deadly force if necessary, against the threat of immediate harm to your person? (Maybe South Dakota is simply lagging behind on legal protections for ex-girlfriends.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/15/lawmaker-behind-south-dakota-justifiable-homicide-bill_n_823553.html
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Dysfunctional Cunt

And somewhere Phil Jensen is in a corner cursing up a blue streak. 

Adios

Well I'll be damned. Captain Utopia, for once we can agree the internet did some good.

Jasper

Quote from: Luna on February 15, 2011, 07:52:21 PM
Update, they've reportedly changed the wording, because the law has, and I quote, "nothing to do with abortion."

QuoteSince the original outcry, a change has been made to the bill: it only allows the "justifiable homicide" defense in cases of self-defense. It's no longer applicable to fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, or husbands. So what does this law seek to do?

When I asked Jensen what the purpose of the law was, if its target isn't abortion providers, he provided the following example:

Quote"Say an ex-boyfriend who happens to be father of a baby doesn't want to pay child support for the next 18 years, and he beats on his ex-girfriend's abdomen in trying to abort her baby. If she did kill him, it would be justified. She is resisting an effort to murder her unborn child."

Is there a localized outbreak of women having their abdomens beaten by people who want to avoid paying child support? Is it not already a crime in South Dakota to beat on your ex-girlfriend's abdomen? And is it not yet permissible in South Dakota to defend oneself, with deadly force if necessary, against the threat of immediate harm to your person? (Maybe South Dakota is simply lagging behind on legal protections for ex-girlfriends.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/15/lawmaker-behind-south-dakota-justifiable-homicide-bill_n_823553.html

THAT fugs of hasty backpedaling and desperate rationalization.

Luna

Yep.  They're gonna cover their butts as much as possible.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Adios

Quote from: Luna on February 15, 2011, 08:10:01 PM

Wait...does this mean if a guys pregnant wife is being beat up he can't use deadly force to stop it? He has to just let his wife fight it out?
:lulz:

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 15, 2011, 08:12:22 PM
Quote from: Luna on February 15, 2011, 08:10:01 PM

Wait...does this mean if a guys pregnant wife is being beat up he can't use deadly force to stop it? He has to just let his wife fight it out?
:lulz:

Knife, nose, face......

The hilarity will not end yet.... 

So this begs to ask how many pregnant assasins will come out of this? 

Damn that tubal ligation  :argh!:

Luna

Note, the SD EXISTING laws:

Quote22-16-34.   Justifiable homicide--Resisting attempted murder--Resisting felony on person or in dwelling house. Homicide is justifiable if committed by any person while resisting any attempt to murder such person, or to commit any felony upon him or her, or upon or in any dwelling house in which such person is.

22-16-35.   Justifiable homicide--Defense of person--Defense of other persons in household. Homicide is justifiable if committed by any person in the lawful defense of such person, or of his or her husband, wife, parent, child, master, mistress, or servant if there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design to commit a felony, or to do some great personal injury, and imminent danger of such design being accomplished.

Husband can defend his wife against "great personal injury."

Adios

Quote from: Luna on February 15, 2011, 08:20:13 PM
Note, the SD EXISTING laws:

Quote22-16-34.   Justifiable homicide--Resisting attempted murder--Resisting felony on person or in dwelling house. Homicide is justifiable if committed by any person while resisting any attempt to murder such person, or to commit any felony upon him or her, or upon or in any dwelling house in which such person is.

22-16-35.   Justifiable homicide--Defense of person--Defense of other persons in household. Homicide is justifiable if committed by any person in the lawful defense of such person, or of his or her husband, wife, parent, child, master, mistress, or servant if there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design to commit a felony, or to do some great personal injury, and imminent danger of such design being accomplished.

Husband can defend his wife against "great personal injury."

I was being a smart-ass. This Jensen is as dumb as a box of hammers.

Cain

The problem I have with believing Jensen is that ever since the Republicans took back the House nationally, there has been a virulently misogynistic campaign among Republicans targeting women and abortion rights (for example, the ongoing discussions about how to "redefine rape" they are having).

If the mother intended to take a baby to full term and someone did do something harmful to it, then there should probably be some kind of fairly serious penalty for that, sure.  But to believe that was uppermost in the mind of SD's Republicans, who are among some of the most socially conservative and retrograde in the country, is stretching credability.

Jenne

Quote from: Cain on February 15, 2011, 09:00:37 PM
The problem I have with believing Jensen is that ever since the Republicans took back the House nationally, there has been a virulently misogynistic campaign among Republicans targeting women and abortion rights (for example, the ongoing discussions about how to "redefine rape" they are having).

If the mother intended to take a baby to full term and someone did do something harmful to it, then there should probably be some kind of fairly serious penalty for that, sure.  But to believe that was uppermost in the mind of SD's Republicans, who are among some of the most socially conservative and retrograde in the country, is stretching credability.

Oh I soooo agree.  I have a hard time controlling the vitriolic feelings I have toward this set of politicians.  I really do.