News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

The Fucking Secret

Started by navkat, February 06, 2011, 08:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadBeast

Quote from: Canis latrans eques on February 11, 2011, 11:13:33 PM
Quote from: BadBeast on February 11, 2011, 11:09:53 PM
Is the 50 post rule  still being observed? I know it takes a bit more effort to check postcounts out these days, but I just wondered if it was still a (mis) rule.

Ob gots 87 posts.
I know, I just checked. I wasn't necessarily asking in respect of Ob, just in general. And whether n00bs are informed that it's open season at post 51. 
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

hooplala

Quote from: BadBeast on February 11, 2011, 11:24:57 PM
Is the 50 post rule  still being observed? I know it takes a bit more effort to check postcounts out these days, but I just wondered if it was still a (mis) rule.

Ob gots 87 posts.
I know, I just checked. I wasn't necessarily asking in respect of Ob, just in general. And whether n00bs are informed that it's open season at post 51. 

Personally, I have never observed it.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

BadBeast

Quote from: Hoopla on February 11, 2011, 11:52:23 PM
Quote from: BadBeast on February 11, 2011, 11:24:57 PM

Ob gots 87 posts.

Personally, I have never observed it.
I've observed it, but never paid it any particular attention. After all, certain approaches demand certain responses, and it seems a bit overindulgent to allow people fifty posts where they don't have to think about making any kind of sense. Maybe 5, or at the most, 10. Less if the n00b is particularly offensive or poptartish. More if they are entertaining, and making an obvious effort to get in the spirit of things.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

navkat

Ob: here's how you're coming across:

"I'm going to cross now and the Universe can wait...mostly because I create the Universe with my mind and besides, the Universe knows to stay out of my way at this exact moment in time."

Be real with yourself for a moment: you know that's all BS, right? There are laws of physics and all kinds of people's free-will to take into account...never mind the entire point of why you're here. Before you get yourself stuck in a tree with no way down, do you really believe that at the exact moment you hold your breath and say "23 Skidoo," the Universe and all the people in it take care of you?

Think before you answer because these people can get brutal.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Ob_Portu on February 11, 2011, 06:01:21 PM
imagine how I feel when I need to cross the street?

cars and there dominance are insufferable.
Imagine how I feel when I just push the fucking button?

Pedestrians are assholes. Fact. So are drivers. Fact. Deal.

Blight,
Lives in Massachusetts (so does LMNO).

Quote from: Luna on February 11, 2011, 07:28:26 PM
And, yes, sometimes it's a pain in the ass to actually have to walk TO the crosswalk, wait for the light to change, and go when it's actually reasonably safe to do so.

Even then, I'm totally cool with standing on a street corner for a mere 5 minutes to guarantee that my genes will be passed on to a future generation. It's not that much of an inconvenience.

Let's call it a strongly worded suggestion. I've never had any problems with or without the rule when I was a noob. But again, you know that, since you've been here longer.

OB, here's the thing, despite your apparent impatience and inability to wait, and that you have to waste maj'x on, of all things, traffickques, lets take it up a step further. Instead of causing "gaps" that are easily explainable by careful driving, I want you to do one of the following:

a) phase yourself so that you can literally walk through oncoming traffic that is not going to let up.
b) be more efficient and just teleport yourself across the street

Disclaimer: I am in no way liable if Ob Portu takes this challenge up and gets seriously injured or dies. It's his own fault for listening to some random dude on the internet, no matter how accurate the challenge to his fallacy.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

BadBeast

Quote from: Ob_Portu on February 11, 2011, 05:15:18 PM
No, I just cross. Sometimes with the intention of there being a gap, sometimes without.]

Like he said, they'll most likely stop if i'm unsuccessful.
If I'm driving, and some fucking idiot walked out into the traffic, with no regard for any other road user, and who obviously can't be arsed to use the basic survival skills of looking, and maybe waiting for a gap in the traffic, I'm the kind of impulsive cunt who would deliberately clip the fucker out of principle. Not to kill them, or even out of malice. (I'm not a fucking monster)
         but just because there are certain rules to crossing roads, rules that are there for the protection of drivers, who might otherwise get their cars all covered in messy bodyparts. Anyone who puts themselves at the mercy of car drivers, by disregarding the time tested rules of where and when to cross busy roads, is pretty much daring  someone to pick them off. And it's better that I just clip you, on purpose than have someone else completely kill you, by accident.  

navkat

Quote from: BadBeast on February 12, 2011, 10:25:00 AM
Quote from: Ob_Portu on February 11, 2011, 05:15:18 PM
No, I just cross. Sometimes with the intention of there being a gap, sometimes without.]

Like he said, they'll most likely stop if i'm unsuccessful.
If I'm driving, and some fucking idiot walked out into the traffic, with no regard for any other road user, and who obviously can't be arsed to use the basic survival skills of looking, and maybe waiting for a gap in the traffic, I'm the kind of impulsive cunt who would deliberately clip the fucker out of principle. Not to kill them, or even out of malice. (I'm not a fucking monster)
         but just because there are certain rules to crossing roads, rules that are there for the protection of drivers, who might otherwise get their cars all covered in messy bodyparts. Anyone who puts themselves at the mercy of car drivers, by disregarding the time tested rules of where and when to cross busy roads, is pretty much daring  someone to pick them off. And it's better that I just clip you, on purpose than have someone else completely kill you, by accident.  

Wow, I don't know what's worse. You do realize you can easily put someone in the hospital no matter how shallowly you "clip" them, right?

BadBeast

Obviously, yeah. But the point I was trying to make is that there are all sorts of people playing all kinds of dumbass dangerous games on the roads. OK, the chances are that I wouldn't clip someone on purpose. But I would be tempted to.
And I've known people who would do something like that, just on impulse. And when you think of the numbers of pedestrians killed on the roads every year day even, people who are crossing properly, or just walking along on the pavement, minding their own business, then the sort of stupid proposed in this thread, is going to undergo a very sudden change of opinion at some point, probably under the persuasion of some very hard, fast moving metal. 

hooplala

I cross roads wherever I want, but only if I feel it's safe to cross.  Walking out into traffic hoping for the best is one of the most idiotic ideas I have ever heard presented.  But, if it helps Natural Selection, bully.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Ob_Portu on February 11, 2011, 05:50:18 PM
I am  critical of myself.

but i hear what you're saying

I had a dream that my face was pressed against something soft and fuzzy, and here's the spooky part:

WHEN I WOKE UP

MY FACE

WAS PRESSED

AGAINST SOMETHING SOFT AND FUZZY!
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cain

I have signed a non-aggression treaty with traffic, whereby mutual respect of each other's borders and arbitration by international observers when violations of that treaty occur through (in)action by either side.

navkat

Quote from: ☄ · · · N E T · · · ☄ on February 12, 2011, 08:37:16 PM
Quote from: Ob_Portu on February 11, 2011, 05:50:18 PM
I am  critical of myself.

but i hear what you're saying

I had a dream that my face was pressed against something soft and fuzzy, and here's the spooky part:

WHEN I WOKE UP

MY FACE

WAS PRESSED

AGAINST SOMETHING SOFT AND FUZZY!

:lol:

Telarus

Quote from: Cain on February 12, 2011, 11:55:02 PM
I have signed a non-aggression treaty with traffic, whereby mutual respect of each other's borders and arbitration by international observers when violations of that treaty occur through (in)action by either side.

:lol:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!