News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

Dialectual differences...

Started by Suu, February 17, 2011, 07:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangrove

Suu - I think 'cabinet' is a Rhode Island thing. Mrs Mang has been in CT for pretty much forever and had never heard of it when a Rhode Island friend of ours mentioned it.

And yes - 'cabinet' is a really stupid word for a milkshake.

(Incidentally, did you get my PM from about a month ago when you asked me about my art idea?)

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Suu

Quote from: Mangrove on February 17, 2011, 09:01:02 PM
Suu - I think 'cabinet' is a Rhode Island thing. Mrs Mang has been in CT for pretty much forever and had never heard of it when a Rhode Island friend of ours mentioned it.

(Incidentally, did you get my PM from about a month ago when you asked me about my art idea?)

(Yes I did, will be in touch. Just been CRAZAY with moving and such.)
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Quote from: Ratatosk on February 17, 2011, 08:52:03 PM
Quote from: Princess Suu the Apostate on February 17, 2011, 08:44:55 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on February 17, 2011, 08:43:24 PM

I once had a ridiculous argument with someone who assured me that Italians had mastered the tomato in the Middle Ages. It made the baby Scappi cry.

Wut.

Tomatoes are nightshades. They were considered poisonous. The earliest sign of Italian recipes using tomatoes isn't until the 1500s and it's Venetian and essentially just stewed tomatoes. Please tell me this person was not a SCAdian. I'm not even a cook and I know that.

BUT SUU!!!! THEY HAVE AN ITALIAN SOUNDING LAST NAME!!!!!!

So do I. And so does my late period persona. They didn't eat tomatoes or eggplant (the Ottomans did though.). End of story.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mangrove

Quote from: Princess Suu the Apostate on February 17, 2011, 09:06:00 PM
Quote from: Mangrove on February 17, 2011, 09:01:02 PM

(Yes I did, will be in touch. Just been CRAZAY with moving and such.)

Cool  8)
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Princess Suu the Apostate on February 17, 2011, 09:07:09 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on February 17, 2011, 08:52:03 PM
Quote from: Princess Suu the Apostate on February 17, 2011, 08:44:55 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on February 17, 2011, 08:43:24 PM

I once had a ridiculous argument with someone who assured me that Italians had mastered the tomato in the Middle Ages. It made the baby Scappi cry.

Wut.

Tomatoes are nightshades. They were considered poisonous. The earliest sign of Italian recipes using tomatoes isn't until the 1500s and it's Venetian and essentially just stewed tomatoes. Please tell me this person was not a SCAdian. I'm not even a cook and I know that.

BUT SUU!!!! THEY HAVE AN ITALIAN SOUNDING LAST NAME!!!!!!

So do I. And so does my late period persona. They didn't eat tomatoes or eggplant (the Ottomans did though.). End of story.

:lulz:

Also, I have learned from Italians that tomato sauce should be cooked gently and still taste fresh when served, not cooked for 10 hours until it resembles the acid bath that gave the Joker his smile.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

hooplala

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on February 17, 2011, 07:35:28 PM
Besides it's more than just lips and assholes.
It's also snout, feet, ears, tails and eyes.

Squid- still won't eat it. I don't like the texture.

Aso- SODA IS NOT POP

I believe I am the only Canadian alive that calls it "soda".  Prove me wrong.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Also, why do Americans look at me so funny when I pronounce Publix as "pube-licks"?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Princess Suu the Apostate on February 17, 2011, 08:22:25 PM
Let's go back to New England for a sec.

Doughboys.

Don't you mean ELEPHANT EARS?!

It's called "fried dough".
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Princess Suu the Apostate on February 17, 2011, 08:27:22 PM
Also: quahog.

A quahog is a goddamn chowder clam everywhere else on the fucking Eastern Seaboard but in Rhode Island and Massachusetts. It's also NOT a city, as Seth McFarlane has led you to believe.

Steamer. It's called a steamer clam.

And they suck for chowder. We use cherrystones.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Luna

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on February 17, 2011, 09:36:28 PM
Quote from: Princess Suu the Apostate on February 17, 2011, 08:22:25 PM
Let's go back to New England for a sec.

Doughboys.

Don't you mean ELEPHANT EARS?!

It's called "fried dough".

I'm with RCH on this one.  "Fried dough."

And the shit New Englanders will put on them is revolting.  Gimme some powdered sugar, some cinnamon, and I'm good. 
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Princess Suu the Apostate on February 17, 2011, 07:14:09 PM
WHY THE FUCK DO YOU PEOPLE IN NEW ENGLAND NOT CALL ANYTHING BY WTF IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE?!

I SHOULD NOT GET FUNNY LOOKS WHEN I SAY "DRESSER" GODDAMNIT. NO, IT'S NOT A BUREAU, A BUREAU IS A DEPARTMENT OF GOVERNMENT. A GODDAMN DRESSER IS WHAT YOU PUT FUCKING CLOTHES IN. IDIOTS.

ALSO. THIS IS AMERICA GODDAMNIT, THAT WORD YOU HAVE FOR YOUR DAD'S SISTER IS PRONOUNCED ANT LIKE THE BUG, NOT LIKE YOU'RE PRETENDING TO BE FROM FUCKING ENGLAND.

THIS IS NOT ENGLAND. THIS IS NEW ENGLAND.

YOU PUT YOUR GROCERIES AND DISHES IN A CABINET, IT'S NOT A FUCKING MILKSHAKE.
A WATER FOUNTAIN. FOR FUCK'S SAKE CALL IT A GODDAMN WATER FOUNTAIN!
A GRINDER? WHAT ARE YOU GRINDING? NOTHING! IT'S A SUBMARINE SANDWICH! DON'T LOOK AT ME THAT WAY, NEW YORK, KEEP YOUR HEROES TO YOURSELF. IT'S A FUCKING SUB!

MILK GOES IN COFFEE, COFFEE SYRUP DOES NOT GO IN MILK. IT'S FUCKING DISGUSTING.

AND FOR FUCK'S SAKE PIZZA IS NOT TO BE SERVED COLD AND CHEESELESS. YOU FUCKING IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!

That is all.

-Suu
Ya'll are mad fuckin crazy, yo.

Alright, fine then.

Here is the new dialectic, more forthcoming as you all send me your colloquialisms to be translated, quantified, typified, number-crunched, compacted, unpacked, and otherwise reworked to be more efficient. These will all be changed over and take effect as of the next fiscal year. Please prepare accordingly as those found still using previous nomenclature will be summarily totemized.

1. CABINET= N speculatively upright utilitarian holding cell, or SUUHC, after translation pronounced SUCK. use: "put the dishes in the suck."
2. MILKSHAKE= N. lactose based sugar beverage, or LB SB, after translation pronounced POUNDESSBEA. Use: "Jerry, there's too many flies in the poundessbea machine, call the manager."
3. WATER FOUNTAIN=  N. water dispensing spigot cover, or WDSC, after translation pronounced WETSK. Use: "The wetsk is broken, how are the beer taps looking? don't cut your gums up too bad on them."
4. GRINDER: N. auto meat rendering slicing and dicing interior contraption, or AMRSDIC, after translation pronounced AMOROUSDICK. Use: "Bring your amorousdick in here, we need to cut up a head cheese."

THAT IS ALL!

REMEMBER: ALL THOSE FOUND USING PREVIOUS TERMS ARE SUBJECTED TO SUMMARY TOTEMIZATION!

navkat

Quote from: Ratatosk on February 17, 2011, 08:29:17 PM
Ya know what pisses me off? American "Italian" Food... specifically all the people with a Hollywood gangster sounding last name that believes one should stew tomatoes for 10 hours because that's the "traditional" Italian style. How about all that "Italian" Pizza... Really? Your great great great grandma in Sicily made Deep Dish Pizza in the 1800's before your family came over on the boat? You sure she wasn't your Great Grandma in Chicago during the Depression? And what the fuck are you still talking about that boat for?!

I mean, FFS I don't care if you want to identify with the genetics of three or four generations ago, but at least try to get the food right... if you're gonna claim it as anything close to 'ethnic'. It's like a Mexican making food from Taco Bell and telling me its an old family recipe, something no self respecting Mexican would do (and I am told by my Puerto Rican friends that Mexicans have no self respect*). Either way, they STILL aren't about to hand me a Gordita and tell me its their Great Great Aunts recipe!!!

*My Mexican friends say other things about the Puerto Ricans...

Shows how little I know about my own ethnicity then. The only fantastic family meal I know how to make is the all-day meat sauce. :(

NEVER FORGET WHO IS THE BOSS OF YOU!

I AM THE BOSS OF YOU!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: navkat on February 17, 2011, 09:56:59 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on February 17, 2011, 08:29:17 PM
Ya know what pisses me off? American "Italian" Food... specifically all the people with a Hollywood gangster sounding last name that believes one should stew tomatoes for 10 hours because that's the "traditional" Italian style. How about all that "Italian" Pizza... Really? Your great great great grandma in Sicily made Deep Dish Pizza in the 1800's before your family came over on the boat? You sure she wasn't your Great Grandma in Chicago during the Depression? And what the fuck are you still talking about that boat for?!

I mean, FFS I don't care if you want to identify with the genetics of three or four generations ago, but at least try to get the food right... if you're gonna claim it as anything close to 'ethnic'. It's like a Mexican making food from Taco Bell and telling me its an old family recipe, something no self respecting Mexican would do (and I am told by my Puerto Rican friends that Mexicans have no self respect*). Either way, they STILL aren't about to hand me a Gordita and tell me its their Great Great Aunts recipe!!!

*My Mexican friends say other things about the Puerto Ricans...

Shows how little I know about my own ethnicity then. The only fantastic family meal I know how to make is the all-day meat sauce. :(

That is ethnic, Italian-American from the early 1900's. ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson