News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

Unlimited MENA Revolt Thread

Started by Cain, February 21, 2011, 07:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 21, 2011, 09:08:33 PM
Forgot about the Jasmine Revolution in China.

Right about now, I'm guessing most of the people participating in the Jasmine Revolution wish they could forget about it as well.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on February 22, 2011, 01:30:02 AM

Right about now, I'm guessing most of the people participating in the Jasmine Revolution wish they could forget about it as well.

Is it just me, or is the international news beginning to look like a giant game of whack-a-mole?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

East Coast Hustle

Fuck if I know, I don't have TV at my apartment.

ECH,
worst kind of heretic
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on February 22, 2011, 01:54:09 AM

ECH,
worst kind of heretic

I haven't watched TV since 1987.  They have these websites, see, where they put news up.  It's a recent innovation out West.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Faust

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 22, 2011, 01:59:09 AM

ECH,
worst kind of heretic

I haven't watched TV since 1987.  They have these websites, see, where they put news up.  It's a recent innovation out West.
It'll never catch on.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

BadBeast

Quote from: Faust on February 22, 2011, 09:40:50 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 22, 2011, 01:59:09 AM

ECH,
worst kind of heretic

It'll never catch on.
My TV only gets X-Box since we went digital. I dont miss it much either.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Luna

ECH,
worst kind of heretic

I have a TV set up for the sole purpose of viewing DVDs.  Since I moved in on 1/1, I believe it's been turned on (other than setting it up and making sure the bloody thing worked) twice.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cain

I dont believe twenty guys on Twitter count as a revolution.

Neither does the Chinese government, really, but that wont stop them from treating them as such.

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

Going rate for mercenaries in Libya just jumped four-fold.  According to the word on the street in Lagos and Conakry, the governent is now hiring at $2000 a day.  That's also four hundred times the average Libyan daily wage.

Gadhafi is looking desperate.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on February 22, 2011, 02:53:31 PM
Going rate for mercenaries in Libya just jumped four-fold.  According to the word on the street in Lagos and Conakry, the governent is now hiring at $2000 a day.  That's also four hundred times the average Libyan daily wage.

Gadhafi is looking desperate.

BBC reported that there are claims of Eastern European mercs in Tripoli now as well.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

BadBeast

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

The Good Reverend Roger

I find it interesting that mercenaries are once again a prime mover in international politics.

Jerry Pournelle was right, but for all the wrong reasons.

Cain

To be fair, they never really went away in Africa, or the Middle East.  Britain managed to retain an informal empire after the collapse of the actual one in no small part due to a mercenary, namely Col. David Stirling (founder of the SAS).

I'd be interested to find out if a greater proportion of mercenaries nowadays are state-sanctioned/linked (ie Blackwater, DynCorp etc) or true freelancers, and the distribution of payment between those groups, though.